over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

No need to train bi's and tri's??WTF!

bigboy05

Registered
To start with I have memberships to two different gyms. One I go to for weight training and the other I go to for my conditioning (sled drags, tire flips..usually once a week or so.) The other day one of the owners at the conditioning gym started running his mouth saying it's a waste of time to train bi's/tri's. His reasoning is those muscles get plenty of training while doing chest and back and to isolate them doesn't make sense. Now I agree while doing back one can put as much or as little bicep into as they want, but still, working back is working back.

My argument is the bicep and triceps work as an assistance muscle group during those movements and while they do get worked they are not being specifically isolated thus not reaching maximal load/potential. Look at powerlifters...most of them do assistance work on their triceps for benching. Bodybuilders? Of course they isolate their arms to stimulate growth, hence the term bodybuilding. I feel specifically working the bi's/tri's is very important in developing well balanced, symmetrical form. As for strength athletes I think developing these muscles only increases ones ability to lift heavier loads when preforming heavier compound lifts.

Thoughts?

Of course you should train them. I powerlift and I'm huge on working triceps for lockout strength. I get most of my bicep work from back work but do isolate them once sometimes twice a week. Even powerlifters should isolate their biceps. You can tell when a pler has underdeveloped biceps by how shaky some of them are when they take a heavy load on the bench.

There are as many opinions as there are people,,, that being said I agree with you

It all depends on what one's goals are. If he is not a bodybuilder he won't understand and if he is not a powerlifter he won't understand the role of assistance. He says bi's and tri's get enough work through other exercises....Does he have good bi's and a crappy back along with good tri's and a crappy chest? That right there would explain a lot regarding his technique. He may just have genetically gifted arms that grew easily for him and doesn't see what "all the fuss is about" when it comes to arm training....Who knows....So, what does he look like?

He is in his late forty's, ex bodybuilder (20yrs ago), about 210lbs. very fit. Mountain climber/crossfit type.
He has an excellent diet so he stays lean all the time, thus he always looks like he is getting ready for a show, however as we all know, looking strong and being strong are two different things.

it depends on what youre training for. if hes into crossfit and he trains for conditioning then hes pretty much right his bis and tris get enough work for what hes trying to accomplish.

For bb'ing purposes I can't see not training them...there is one pro that I'm thinking of who doesn't train his arms if the "off" season but will going into contest...the reasoning is because his arms are freaky huge anyways, prob. not the case for most of us lol.

years ago i was friendly with a powerlifter and he very rarely trained his arms-he trained his other upper body parts so hard that he felt training his arms wasnt necessary- his arms were huge by the way!!! i guess what works for some doesnt work for others.

After two years of doing ZERO arm isolation work, (I do 5/3/1), I included bicep and tricep sets at the end of my lower body days - a light set and heavy set for each muscle. After a couple of months, my arms are just over an inch bigger at the same bodyweight.

When I competed in powerlifting my tricep work consisted of close grip bench off of various board thickness. That was it.

My elbows hurt all the time until I added in two sets of bicep work, either dumbbell curls or hammer curls per week. That cleared up the elbow problems.

To me it's all about balance. Working one side of a joint without working the other is asking for problems.

I'm sure people get good development without any direct work for that body part but hell, I've seen people with good development that don't work out at all!

For his goals crosstraining now days I can see how he would say this, but for someone looking for bodybuilding you should Isolate unless you just have freaky arms like someone said above cause well then your arms wouldn't match your body. Its kind of like how some are blessed with huge calves or forearms and never have to work them while others spend our entire lives to just get them to fit our body.

Back when I first started lifting weights I read about this and bought into it. I never did isolation exercises. "After pull ups and rows, why should I do curls? My bis are already trashed."

Then one day I decided to start isolating them. I never looked back. I saw almost immediate development in my biceps. Shape, density, everything. Was like night and day. So I think this guy is wrong.

As someone said earlier in this thread, it is individual.

For every person that thinks or needs to do direct arm work, there are 2 that complain that their arms won't grow "no matter what they do" and yet can't see they have overtrained their arms for years.

If you know you need to train your arms with direct work, fine. It would be silly to dismiss his advice, though, if there is a possibility that you are one of those millions of guys that overtrain their arms from doing too much direct work, though. I see this all the time.

Skip

him: "it's a waste of time to train bi's/tri's."
you: Yes. For you.

No sense in debating with the crossfit crew.

Why would you goto an athlete setup gym lyke that and wonder why they arent huge on....peaking your bicep or adding pop to your tricep or whateva....??? he said they get "enough" from chest and back..... ENUF FOR WHAT??? being a decent athlete??? being in shape??? playing pro basketball??sureeeee.... but wats ur goal? Bodybuilders arent sprinting with sledz, going thru med ball circuits and shiit brah.... thats lyke going to a boxing gym and trying to ask a boxing coach how to achieve 20' arms n talking of quad sweep, NOONE there is into that...and they will make fun of you and LOLLLL... The type of lifting and training you do should directly be lined up to get YOU(key word) to your goal....

Why would you goto an athlete setup gym lyke that and wonder why they arent huge on....peaking your bicep or adding pop to your tricep or whateva....??? he said they get "enough" from chest and back..... ENUF FOR WHAT??? being a decent athlete??? being in shape??? playing pro basketball??sureeeee.... but wats ur goal? Bodybuilders arent sprinting with sledz, going thru med ball circuits and shiit brah.... thats lyke going to a boxing gym and trying to ask a boxing coach how to achieve 20' arms n talking of quad sweep, NOONE there is into that...and they will make fun of you and LOLLLL... The type of lifting and training you do should directly be lined up to get YOU(key word) to your goal....

First of all I wasn't asking his advise on how to train. I can hold my own in that respect. It was simple discussion on different philosophies of training.
Secondly, while I am and always will be a weightlifter at heart I do feel it is important to stay conditioned as well. It's just the same as some who do cardio three days a week only I like to get my hands dirty instead of just the bottom of my shoes. You're right though, it's what your personal goal is...I prefer to be the complete package.

P.S....spell check:D

I think anyone telling you not to train bi's and tri's is either not someone who is knowledgable or isnt trying to have impressive arms!

i think its mainly genetics. I do very little arm work, sometimes none, when i do its just a little bit after back and chest. My arms outgrow everything so personally no need.

I went through a 6 month phase in college where I only did compound lifts and no iso work. I didnt train arms directly. I won't say they grew, but they didn't shrink either. They pretty much stayed the same

I went through a 6 month phase in college where I only did compound lifts and no iso work. I didnt train arms directly. I won't say they grew, but they didn't shrink either. They pretty much stayed the same

Will Harris never trains arms, until very close to a comp. he told me when he trains arms he feels they become overtrained. Now if someone as big as Will Harris can admit that he doesn't have optimal recovery, there is no shame for anyone else here, lol.

I know he has most if not all his guys not to direct arm work either, I've heard many say that their arms actually started growing, many, not all.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws