Administrator
IFBB PROS
JUDGES
Registered
Newbies
Hvywght
Man of Steel

No offense to women on this board or women in general...but
guys, do you think that women can hinder your training. I mean take me for example. I am in the middle of getting ready for the Missouri and I just got into a new rtelationship with this beautiful woman and now all I want to do is spend time with her.I have missed training twice this week and twice last week and then today, but only to watch my favorite football team the PITTSBURGH STEELERS kick the dog shit out of the balitmore ravens.

Anyway fellas you know how women get. My girl is totally suipportive of my bodybuilding, she even encourages me, but still. what do you guys think?

Hvy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-21-2002 03:18 AM

Phil Hernon
IFBB PRO

LIFE
UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO BE A PROFESSIONAL AND EARN A LIVING AT THIS, YOU NEED TO LIVE A REAL LIFE. EVERYTHING IN MODERATION, THAT IS MY ADVICE TO YOU FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS REALLY FUCKED UP IN THE PAST!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

01-21-2002 03:23 AM

nandro

I'm with phil, this is what i say. Don't let this stuff consume you. Live your life and spend time with people who love you and things you love to do. The people you care for will be around alot longer than those little muscles. You will look back on the gym in 20 years and prolly say 'what the fuck was i thinking' LOL

01-21-2002 03:33 AM

Hvywght
Man of Steel

Yo phil
That is a good point bro. Everything in moderation.

Hvy

01-21-2002 03:41 AM

IronMike

hmmm....
From someone who is at times 100% commited, at times less so...

It depends!!!! For me anyway (and I aint necessarily normal!) - when I'm with a good girl in a stable relationship, I tend to improve on a lot of areas in my life. When I've had stable relationships, so long as I could make time for training, I usually did better. However, during not so pleasant relationships the stress and crap can almost put an end to any progress.

However, didn't have a relationship all thru 2002 and made better gains than in a long time and things fell into place, so....

I agree with Phil. Priorities really - you can have a good relationship and bbuild so long as you keep a balance. IronMike

01-21-2002 04:18 AM

jstrong20

Yes it's confirmed, women are catabolic . My last girlfreind would get me so upset I didn't train or eat for a couple of months and lost 20lbs. By the small chance that she would see this post I'd like to say.

01-21-2002 04:23 AM

Big bi's

A decent relationship wouldnt bother me while Im getting ready for a show, especially if shes cool with everything as you insist, besides if she can put up with your ass while your all carb depleted and miserable then I say keep her. The steady sex is benefical I think too...extra cardio. Works for me.

01-21-2002 06:57 AM

Jungle Girl
IFBB Judge

It goes both ways, whether your partner is a guy or a girl.
I've been my best in comp when I was on my own, and didn't have to deal with a complaining, unhelpful, disinterested, jealous, selfish, useless partner. (phew, glad to get that off my chest!)
But I've heard some who have very supportive partners, then I think it would be great to have someone who understands and helps you.
As far as keeping a balance goes, how do you get anywhere if you don't push yourself. Elite athletes make plenty of sacrifices, sometimes it's their relationships that suffer. You really need to keep the blinkers on when getting ready for a show.
If you are just training not competing then I think you can ease off now and again and it's no big deal to keep some sanity.

01-21-2002 12:40 PM

bigwilly

Well, when i started my relationship i was in the same boat as you, so i started training in the mornings, now i get the best of both worlds..

01-21-2002 08:14 PM

Ermantroudt

Originally posted by bigwilly:
"..., so i started training in the mornings, now i get the best of both worlds.."

My wife used to complain about my training in the evening taking time away from our relationship, now I train at 5:15am twice a week. When I made the switch, she gained a new understanding of what I was willing to do to reach my goals. At a Westside Seminar, Dave Tate had us do the following exercise:
1. What are your goals?
2. What are you willing to do to reach your goals?

That put it in perspective for me.

Ermantroudt

Ermantroudt has attached this image:

01-21-2002 09:50 PM

Paul Bunyan

I used to train at night and my wife complained all of the time. Actually, I don't blame her. All of the people in the gym were just fucking around and getting in the way. A 1hr workout would take 2.5hrs. I solved the problem by going to the gym right after work. There were fewer people and the ones that were there wanted to train and get the hell out. Now, the only day that interfers with family stuff is sunday but I'm only gone for an hour and a half so she lives with it. PB

01-22-2002 03:12 AM

IronMike

another point....
Something to maybe bring up next time your partner is a little "down" on your training habits.... and I've done this - simply explain to them how much of a happier person it makes you for days after a training session, how you feel good about yourself, have more energy and can use it showing the other one a good time!

If that fails, tell em you were thinking about giving it up anyway and do they want you to save them a seat at the local RSL most weekdays cos you are going to enjoy being a fat, lazy, unhealthy prick! hehe IronMike

01-22-2002 03:39 AM

JenniferMcVicar
IFBB Pro

A great partner in life is a wonderful thing. That wonderful thing will never fade as long as you are honest with each other. Discuss your new found issue with your partner. Then and only then determine how to result the situation. This way either one of you will feel as if you are lossing something.

Lifting is just part of your life. don't make the mistake of making it all you have in life. Being lonely is not a wonderful thing.

Love makes you do crazy things!!!

01-22-2002 07:13 AM

Got Juice

hey bro, my buddy is training for the missouri also, and he isnt missing any training days, actually he started training another day, he is looking really good and you better get your ass in the gym if you want to beat him.

just joking bro, trying to get you motivated, but my buddy really is getting ready for the caveman, are you going to do that also, im assuming not because i believe the caveman is a couple months before the mo right?

like phil said, you have to do other shit you like sometimes too. otherwise you will get burnt out, im sure the rest is good for you anyways, just dont miss a week at a time and im sure youll be fine. good luck man, ill see you down there, ill be in the stands next to your girl..lol

Take care,

Todd

01-24-2002 01:22 AM

Phil Hernon
IFBB PRO

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
GOT JUICE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR WOMEN PROBLEMS!!!! HAAHHAHHAHA

01-24-2002 03:47 AM

Hvywght
Man of Steel

yeah I know..
I need to get my ass in the gym. I think i got burnt out for a while there. i was working out every day and my dimnishing money supply and rgear supply is taking a toll on me to plus women problems, i think i am just gonna go fins a cave some place take a couple of 100 pound dumbells with me and live in there and kill wild pigs for food. Then I won't have any problems.

hvy

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner