over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

No soreness after chest workout

NOSUPERMODEL

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I do not get sore at all after a chest workout. Now I am reading Arnold's revised Encyclopedia and realized I was not training hard enough, so yesterday I took his advice and changed things up. I use to do your typical 3 sets-10 reps about 15-18 sets total. I switched it up to 15, 12, 8, 6 reps while upping the weights each set. So here is what I did, but I do not feel sore at all today. By the way, one rep max on bench is 405 and that came Halloween 2011.

Incline DB press
15 reps x 65lb
12 reps x 80lb
8 reps x 95lb
6 reps x 105lb

Incline Cable Crossover
15reps x 50lb
12 reps x 60lb
8 reps x 70lb
6 reps x 80lb

Decline DB flies
15 reps x 50lb
12 reps x 60lb
8 reps x 70lb
6 reps x 80lb

Decline Bench
15 reps x 185lb
12 reps x 225lb
7 reps x 275lb
5 reps x 295lb

Flat DB press---I was wore out by the time I got here. I can do 120's for 10 if I start out with this
15 reps x 50lb
12 reps x 60lb
8 reps x 70lb

I had a great pump during the workout, but I am not sore at all this morning. From what I have read so far, basically the soreness comes from "tearing" your muscle fascia down and it repairing itself. Maybe I am wrong, but if your not doing that then you are not growing. So am I not gaining any muscle if I am not sore? Am I not doing enough work?
6 reps x 75lb

I think you need to put the book down and re evaluate your time in the gym and how you are approaching your workouts

looking at your workout it looks like a Copy/paste cookie cutter routine

WHY are your reps so calculated and predictable? This tells me you arent pushing 100% and ending at true failure

How are your negatives?

You are doing 20 SETS for pecs... id cut that in half, and focus on intensity, negatives, and using some more special tactics with your exercises, rep schemes and set design

also, your mind muscle connection is probably shit, practice chest poses and flexing/controlling your pecs. do this during your workout and after. push with the pec muscles, and control the negative with the pec muscles. Easier said than done btw

Last edited:
I think you need to put the book down and re evaluate your time in the gym and how you are approaching your workouts

WHY are your reps so calculated and predictable? This tells me you arent pushing 100% and ending at true failure

How are your negatives?

You are doing 20 SETS for pecs... id cut that in half, and focus on intensity, negatives, and using some more special tactics with your exercises, rep schemes and set design

also, your mind muscle connection is probably shit, practice chest poses and flexing/controlling your pecs. do this during your workout and after. push with the pec muscles, and control the negative with the pec muscles. Easier said than done btw

:yeahthat:

Sounds like your just training chest....for training chest....if that makes sense.

My chest sucks, plain and simple. But the last year the gains ive made in it personally have totally smashed the past 2 years, and im starting to look like i may have a bit of chest there. I just started from scratch again, making sure that in every rep i can feel the chest pushing the weight and nothing else, also as said above. Posing, flexing, getting the blood in the chest can be in-corporated to, to help the chest take the stress of the lift, rather then say your shoulders and triceps.

Theres a few good routines or methods people have posted up on here before if you look around

How are your negatives?

I do switch it up every week. For example, next week I may do BB incline instead of DB incline. Maybe flat bench instead of DB bench.

I do probably not have the greatest mind to muscle connection, but I am working on it.

When you mean 100%, I guess I am not understanding. By the time I get to my last set, 6 reps is about all I can get. Are you telling me to go ahead and try the next rep? Also, those weights change. For example, I might start out with a different weight for the sets if I was able to easily get it the week before.

:yeahthat:

Sounds like your just training chest....for training chest....if that makes sense.

My chest sucks, plain and simple. But the last year the gains ive made in it personally have totally smashed the past 2 years, and im starting to look like i may have a bit of chest there. I just started from scratch again, making sure that in every rep i can feel the chest pushing the weight and nothing else, also as said above. Posing, flexing, getting the blood in the chest can be in-corporated to, to help the chest take the stress of the lift, rather then say your shoulders and triceps.

Theres a few good routines or methods people have posted up on here before if you look around

I do feel a lot of stress in my shoulders when working weights. But from what I am understanding your telling me maybe I should drop my weights down and focus on chest instead of focusing on just moving the weight. For example, I did 105 DB on incline for 6 reps. Yeah I did it, but did I really focus on the chest or did I focus on just lifting the weight. Maybe drop down to 80lbs and really focus the chest and get my 6 reps. As my understanding correct in your statement?

If your one rep max is 405 why are you starting out with the 60's in db press?

You need to lift heavier

It looks like your heavier sets are you decline movement...

This worked well for me; each week is different on which part of the chest ill hit first, one week it might be upper, then next middle, then next lower.

The first exercise is always a heavy balls to the wall compound movement. Usually around 4 sets. Ill go to failure on the last set maybe around 6 reps then followed by a drop set really working and contracting the muscle.

Next Exercise ill go 80%

Next Exercise 60%

The blood is already in the muscle and has been broken down during the first workout sets. Anything after I really try to contract and get a good mind muscle connection to work my chest. Stretching is important as well..

This has worked for me with great success just thought Id share

I do feel a lot of stress in my shoulders when working weights. But from what I am understanding your telling me maybe I should drop my weights down and focus on chest instead of focusing on just moving the weight. For example, I did 105 DB on incline for 6 reps. Yeah I did it, but did I really focus on the chest or did I focus on just lifting the weight. Maybe drop down to 80lbs and really focus the chest and get my 6 reps. As my understanding correct in your statement?

Yeah thats how i see it man....No point moving large numbers if your not feeling it properly and that bodypart is not growing. Infact when i could bench my heaviest, my chest was at its shittest. I dropped the weight a little bit, made sure i can feel my chest doing the work. And then go on from there, the weight will gradually increase. Ive done that with both my back and my chest (weakest bodyparts) and i believe they've brought up alot the last year...ill try have some pics of the difference soon, but definetely found this helped alot!

arnold is a great guy and surely knows a thing or to about lifting... but soreness is not an indicator of a good workout, nor do you have to do any comparable amount of volume arnold was doing. The Weider principles are stupid and flawed.

Research has shown that soreness really is not a good indicator of muscular damage. So just because you don't get sore doesn't necessarily mean your not breaking the muscle fibers down appropriately. There is absolutely no need to hit the chest from that many angles, keep it simple and pick 2 movements and push yourself. I recommend a drop set with decline bench (have a spotter because you always want to emphasize and finish with your negative motion) and dip shrugs with some added weight.

With all due respect to Arnold the information in his "Encyclopedia" is over 30 years old. We cant "Spot Reduce" the stomach by training abs 3 times a day nor can we "Expand" the rib cage by doing pullovers. Start looking in some modern training routines like DC and grow like a weed.

If your one rep max is 405 why are you starting out with the 60's in db press?

You need to lift heavier

By the time I got to the DB flat bench I was wore out. I was able to move the weight, but it was a weird feeling of like the weight was almost not there. Like my body couldn't recognize how much weight was in my hand. Hard to explain. I think it was mainly because my shoulders were shot.

It looks like your heavier sets are you decline movement...

This worked well for me; each week is different on which part of the chest ill hit first, one week it might be upper, then next middle, then next lower.

The first exercise is always a heavy balls to the wall compound movement. Usually around 4 sets. Ill go to failure on the last set maybe around 6 reps then followed by a drop set really working and contracting the muscle.

Next Exercise ill go 80%

Next Exercise 60%

The blood is already in the muscle and has been broken down during the first workout sets. Anything after I really try to contract and get a good mind muscle connection to work my chest. Stretching is important as well..

This has worked for me with great success just thought Id share

You are correct and incline is my worst. That's why I started with that.

Yeah thats how i see it man....No point moving large numbers if your not feeling it properly and that bodypart is not growing. Infact when i could bench my heaviest, my chest was at its shittest. I dropped the weight a little bit, made sure i can feel my chest doing the work. And then go on from there, the weight will gradually increase. Ive done that with both my back and my chest (weakest bodyparts) and i believe they've brought up alot the last year...ill try have some pics of the difference soon, but definetely found this helped alot!

I would like to see the pics to see the changes made.

Since going a little lighter on weight, really concentrating on proper form, like bringing the bar to your neck on incline, and only resting about40 secs , i am sore for2 days

jut becuase you arent sore doesnt mean you didnt work it out enough

With all due respect to Arnold the information in his "Encyclopedia" is over 30 years old. We cant "Spot Reduce" the stomach by training abs 3 times a day nor can we "Expand" the rib cage by doing pullovers. Start looking in some modern training routines like DC and grow like a weed.

I totally agree. Some of the stuff he states is a little far fetched. I picked the book up just because I like to read as much as I can on the sport.

Do you have any recent books you would suggest.

From what I am gathering I am lifting more like a power lifter. Nothing against power lifting at all, but the main idea in power lifting is just moving the weight. For example...on my bench workout, yeah I can rep out 315 for 6-8 reps, but am I really working my chest or am I just getting the weight up and down. Now that I think about it, when I do lat pull down I usually start out at about 135lbs to just get them warmed up. I do this super strict, nice and slow and can really feel it my lats. But, then when its time to do my sets I jump it up to 225-250lbs and I am not able to sit there straight and pull it down. Probably means I am losing alot of bicep and hitting traps a little in there. But hey...I am moving big weights. LOL!!! Damn, now I have to reprogram myself.

I will try the lighter weight for sure. Just got to get the thinking of "if I am not moving big weight I am not working" out of my head. How did you all adjust to this? Did you ever feel like you were not working hard enough when you dropped your weight down?

Quick question...if I do a blast and am still using lighter weights than I used to, will I get better results than if I moved my BIG weight with out proper form and focusing on the muscle?

I totally agree. Some of the stuff he states is a little far fetched. I picked the book up just because I like to read as much as I can on the sport.

Do you have any recent books you would suggest.

Books can be a decent general guideline but you have to design any program based on your needs and what works for you. Chris Aceto's championship bodybuilding is a good one. Check out the puppy pound section at intensemuscle. Dante Trudel himself posts there a lot and you can learn a great deal about the DC training program. No need to shell out money for lots of books or magazines when you can get all the info and advice you need online for free anyway. Most people would be happy to help out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity