over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Non-bodybuilding workout ideas?

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Anyone now do more cardio based strength training? Like challenging circuits with less rest? There is really no reason for me to keep doing traditional bodybuilding splits but it's so hard to break the habit.

Looking for ideas/suggestions

Ive been doing this for the past several months. I still hit the weights hard but no more than 2 sets per exercise. The second set is always to negative and strip until you cant move!
In between each set I do squats or push ups etc.. depending on the day.
The goal is to keep the HR at 160 ish.
Try it for your self. Do some jumping squats before each set to bring up your HR to 160 and immediately go to the weight. You'll notice that you can lift more and push harder as opposed to lower HR.

non bodybuilding workout idea's ??

dawg did u say non bodybuilding ?

Somebody hand Nothuman 3 day temp ban please. thank you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

idk bout the suggestion above... lol :eek:

but...
my workouts have been very non tradtional for years.

high reps, lower weights, super controled endurance ish but looking for pain. think of a snake/constrictor stangeling prey.

can go into a lil more detail, im sure i have discussed it a bunch.

its all about cns
doing that keeps the muscle put on from years of the rest.

the thread where dc talks about jm cutting protien n such to me is the same concept as what i focus i just word it entirely different.

i see this all as creating new nerve innervations, and been saying that is the key for years. no one like those words though. lol

:sta:-wars

My gym has a strong man powerlifting section and a cross fit area. I do typical bodybuilder workout 3 days week and cross fit ish that I program myself 2-3 days and a strongman on weekends. I did atlas stones, axle press, farmer walks, tire flips and deads in a couole different circuits yesterday and it about killed me but was my more entertaining than just regular cardio on a machine. I was starting to get all the wear and tear that body building gives you after 20 years like bad shoulders, knees etc and throwing in a couple days of 'functional' training has helped tremendously. It's also brought up my HDL 15 points, lower blood pressure and resting heart rate is in lower 50s.

Last edited:
A couple of ideas so far. I was also thinking something like the following. Might be a bit challenging at first so I might have to increase the rest times at the beginning. My stamina sucks no matter how hard i work on it and it’s frustrating. It’s only improves by losing weight but I like to walk around at 220.

Circuit: 10 squats, 15 pull ups, 20 push ups
60 seconds rest. 3 sets

Circuit: 10 bench press, 10 deadlifts, 60 second jump rope
60 seconds rest. 3 sets

Circuit: 20 second sprint, 10 burpees
4 rounds, no rest

Bicep curls, skull crushers superset: 60 seconds rest, 3 sets

2 minutes between circuits

this?

Check out / do a search on PHA (Peripheral Heart Action) system that former
Mr. America and Mr. Universe, Bob Gajda promoted back in the mid 1960's.
It was during this time that Mr. Gajda was winning all of the top contests in
competitive bodybuilding.

Might be what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

laps on an overhanging rock climbing wall. Guarentee you will feel sore in muscles you didn't even know existed ;)

go on LK, sounds interesting....sounds like something that could help save joints from breaks from heavy lifting?

idk bout the suggestion above... lol :eek:

but...
my workouts have been very non tradtional for years.

high reps, lower weights, super controled endurance ish but looking for pain. think of a snake/constrictor stangeling prey.

can go into a lil more detail, im sure i have discussed it a bunch.

its all about cns
doing that keeps the muscle put on from years of the rest.

the thread where dc talks about jm cutting protien n such to me is the same concept as what i focus i just word it entirely different.

i see this all as creating new nerve innervations, and been saying that is the key for years. no one like those words though. lol

:sta:-wars

My workouts are similar to a circuit. Bench press followed by Bent rows and rear pulls, overhead press followed by pullups .....basically just doing the opposite of my main lifts. Anything pushing is superset with something working the opposing muscle group in a pulling motion. No rest between those sets, and a timed rest between the exercise sequence as a whole.

Legs are a little different as I superset calves and abs in with them.

But it keeps my heart rate up, and makes sure I'm getting an equal amount of volume for the opposing muscle group.

For pure cardio, I hit the heavy bag, jump rope, speed bag. 3 minute rounds of those will kill you.

I learned a long time ago that boxing conditioning work was some of the hardest cardio I had ever done.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

**broken link removed**

Bw training but it will give you some ideas.

I like to do what Stan Efferning calls "HIIT under load" I keep the workouts to around 15 mins.

Deadlifts: 225lb x 10 reps, for 10 sets, 1 min rest in between sets (ball buster)

Deadlifts: 135 x 20 reps, 5 sets, 1 min rest in between sets.

Squats: start at XXXlbs for 15 reps, then add in 5lb to each side for 14 reps, then 13, then 12, etc... to 1 rep.

Farmer carries with the 120's back and forth across the gym. Down and back is 1. 10 sets, 1 min rest.

If your gym had stairs, carry the 100's up and down 10 times with 1 min rest in between This one will jack you up.

Or without weight you can hit the stair master. 30 sec at 15speed, then 1 min at 5 speed. 10 sets of this. No hands on the hand rails.

I've been wrestling with the idea of cardio and being on gear. Will this accelerate the growth rate of my heart? I would think that it most certainly will.
I find myself thinking about this in the mornings while I'm doing my cardio. Am I doing this for health or is it going to put me in the ground sooner?

you ever seen @realworld_tactical train? or that girl Heba Ali @evolve.nation workouts??? meadows just signed her... both do some brutal training

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_RwyUF6hM"]Special Forces Strength Training with SWAT Tony Sentmanat | Muscle Madness - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4AiSNkpm9o"]BEAST in the Beauty - Heba Ali | Muscle Madness - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
A couple of ideas so far. I was also thinking something like the following. Might be a bit challenging at first so I might have to increase the rest times at the beginning. My stamina sucks no matter how hard i work on it and it’s frustrating. It’s only improves by losing weight but I like to walk around at 220.

Circuit: 10 squats, 15 pull ups, 20 push ups
60 seconds rest. 3 sets

Circuit: 10 bench press, 10 deadlifts, 60 second jump rope
60 seconds rest. 3 sets

Circuit: 20 second sprint, 10 burpees
4 rounds, no rest

Bicep curls, skull crushers superset: 60 seconds rest, 3 sets

2 minutes between circuits
Mate i got you..

problem solved.

best circuit workout ever!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbvCQG2HJ_j/

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Professional Muscle mobile app

Last edited:
Anyone now do more cardio based strength training? Like challenging circuits with less rest? There is really no reason for me to keep doing traditional bodybuilding splits but it's so hard to break the habit.

Looking for ideas/suggestions
An important question would be, what's the purpose? Once the function is defined, appropriate modalities for that goal can be selected.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131