over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Non fishy fish

wumba

Registered
Trying to clean up my diet for the season and get back in shape after some shoulder surgery, and I've decided I want to add fish to my diet for dinners to keep it low fat. Here's the kicker. I absolutely hate seafood. ALL seafood. The only thing I eat that comes out of the sea is tuna from a can.

Does anyone have suggestions for a fish that has ZERO fishy taste and will just be meaty and bland could be best to get me used to it. And none of that crap of how seafood lovers say "oh it doesnt taste like seafood". It usually doesnt when you like it, but always does when you dont.

That said, lol any suggestions?

Tilapia in a pan of olive oil is the lightest tasting fish to me.

that's right tilapia has one of the least fish aroma
and it absorbs the flavor of whatever you season it with

basically ANY white fish

but the key to "non-fishy"
is freshness......find and hit a fish market
a couple times a week

stay outta the grocrey store, if you want non-fishy

:cool:

how bout some clams, mussels, squid, octopus? not much better but definitely have some choice

basically ANY white fish

but the key to "non-fishy"
is freshness......find and hit a fish market
a couple times a week

stay outta the grocrey store, if you want non-fishy

:cool:

x2 Also consider Sushi grade Tunas like Bigeye, Yellowtail or Bluefin. All can be lightly seared in Sesame oil in a screaming hot (not nonstick) saute pan-1-2 minutes each side for rare. Expensive but worth it!

We eat a lot of tilapia at my house. One of my favorites for the price. We usually do it blackened or grilled.

In the summer I fish two to three times a week and TENNY hit it on the head. The KEY is freshness. If you smell anything from the supermarket it will smell fishy, it is because it sat was probably frozen and thawed. Like Tenny said go to a fish market smell it and if it smell like nothing it is fresh. Any white fish (fluke, flounder, smaller caught strip bass, sea bass, monk fish, cod or my favorite BLACK FISH). Any of those caught fresh should taste great. If you really want fresh go fishing for the day...... OH DO NOT BUY FARM RAISED FISH.

Why not buy farm raised fish?

They have always been found to have higher levels of toxin and PCB's due to what they are fed. Google it and you will find numerous articles and research studies done on the topic. Although there seems to be farmed raised organic fish which may be fed a different diet to eliminate the toxin levels found. Also keep in mind that this is for salmon, but nonetheless all farm raised fish have a similar diet. See below (a little older, but most quote his studies):

Is farm raised fish safe???

Studies suggest farmed salmon may be far from pure. A recent pilot study by Canadian scientist Michael Easton, an expert in ecotoxicology, found that a four-fish sample of farmed salmon when compared with wild-caught salmon contained elevated levels of chemical contaminants, including PCBs -- known carcinogens.

Easton's research, which was published in the peer-reviewed international science journal, Chemosphere, showed 10 times more PCBs in farmed salmon than in wild fish -- levels that he believes pose a health risk for regular consumers.

Levels of pesticides in farmed fish were also significantly higher, Easton's study showed, while mercury levels were roughly the same. ''This is a preliminary study that raises significant questions,'' Easton says.

He stresses the possibility of damage to anyone who consumes farmed salmon directly or indirectly from combined, low-level toxins. Easton also points out the elevated risk of mental retardation and brain damage to nursing babies and unborn fetuses.

Other new studies in the United Kingdom (source of many farmed salmon that supply U.S. markets) have cast further doubts on the safety of these fish, enough to fan an outcry in the British media.

A recent feature in the Daily Mail outlines a ''chemical cocktail'' of substances found in trace amounts in these fish, including canthaxanthin, a dietary additive that gives farmed salmon its appealing color; various pesticides such as cypermethrin, dichlorvos and azamethiphos, associated with cancer and reproductive problems in humans; copper and zinc-based paints; and malachite green, a fungicide. The latter was banned in June by the Scottish government, and a European government-sanctioned science commission has recently called for a two-thirds reduction in canthaxanthin, which has long been banned by the European Union for direct human consumption, due to its potential for vision damage.

The contaminants' source is linked to the farming process. PCBs and other toxins are concentrated in the oil-rich, pelletized fish meal, which farmed salmon are fed. The fish are treated with pesticides to control parasites, fed canthaxanthin and subjected to pen disinfectants. Antibiotics are administered to treat disease in crowded pens. In addition, there is mounting evidence farmed salmon contain fewer of the beneficial omega-3 fatty acids for which wild salmon are so highly touted.

A number of respected sources, including U.S. nutritionist Andrew Weil and The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, state that farmed salmon have two to three times fewer omega-3's than their wild counterparts. Meanwhile, the fat content of farmed fish ranges between 11% and 20% vs. 7% for wild.

There are serious environmental issues associated with salmon farming as well. The spread of highly infectious, mutating salmon diseases, large-scale environmental pollution and the escape of millions of non-native fish from salmon-farm operations are all ongoing problems that alarm scientists. They worry about the potential impact on wild salmon stocks.

DAMN! Something I've never read about I guess. Thanks a lot for posting that.

Orange Roughy

Haddock, Flounder and Cod are great. All three not fishy fishy, like above they are white fish. Typically never farm raised.

Haddock is my fav fish.

mackeral , na just kiding , thats the fishiest of the fishiest

They have always been found to have higher levels of toxin and PCB's due to what they are fed. Google it and you will find numerous articles and research studies done on the topic. Although there seems to be farmed raised organic fish which may be fed a different diet to eliminate the toxin levels found. Also keep in mind that this is for salmon, but nonetheless all farm raised fish have a similar diet. See below (a little older, but most quote his studies):

Is farm raised fish safe???

Studies suggest farmed salmon may be far from pure. A recent pilot study by Canadian scientist Michael Easton, an expert in ecotoxicology, found that a four-fish sample of farmed salmon when compared with wild-caught salmon contained elevated levels of chemical contaminants, including PCBs -- known carcinogens.

Easton's research, which was published in the peer-reviewed international science journal, Chemosphere, showed 10 times more PCBs in farmed salmon than in wild fish -- levels that he believes pose a health risk for regular consumers.

Levels of pesticides in farmed fish were also significantly higher, Easton's study showed, while mercury levels were roughly the same. ''This is a preliminary study that raises significant questions,'' Easton says.

He stresses the possibility of damage to anyone who consumes farmed salmon directly or indirectly from combined, low-level toxins. Easton also points out the elevated risk of mental retardation and brain damage to nursing babies and unborn fetuses.

Other new studies in the United Kingdom (source of many farmed salmon that supply U.S. markets) have cast further doubts on the safety of these fish, enough to fan an outcry in the British media.

A recent feature in the Daily Mail outlines a ''chemical cocktail'' of substances found in trace amounts in these fish, including canthaxanthin, a dietary additive that gives farmed salmon its appealing color; various pesticides such as cypermethrin, dichlorvos and azamethiphos, associated with cancer and reproductive problems in humans; copper and zinc-based paints; and malachite green, a fungicide. The latter was banned in June by the Scottish government, and a European government-sanctioned science commission has recently called for a two-thirds reduction in canthaxanthin, which has long been banned by the European Union for direct human consumption, due to its potential for vision damage.

The contaminants' source is linked to the farming process. PCBs and other toxins are concentrated in the oil-rich, pelletized fish meal, which farmed salmon are fed. The fish are treated with pesticides to control parasites, fed canthaxanthin and subjected to pen disinfectants. Antibiotics are administered to treat disease in crowded pens. In addition, there is mounting evidence farmed salmon contain fewer of the beneficial omega-3 fatty acids for which wild salmon are so highly touted.

A number of respected sources, including U.S. nutritionist Andrew Weil and The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, state that farmed salmon have two to three times fewer omega-3's than their wild counterparts. Meanwhile, the fat content of farmed fish ranges between 11% and 20% vs. 7% for wild.

There are serious environmental issues associated with salmon farming as well. The spread of highly infectious, mutating salmon diseases, large-scale environmental pollution and the escape of millions of non-native fish from salmon-farm operations are all ongoing problems that alarm scientists. They worry about the potential impact on wild salmon stocks.

Farm rasied Salmon are fed corn-which throws off the Omega 3 and Omega 6 ratios to undersireable ratios-similar to corn fed beef. In addition to that the pellets are treated with beet juice to dye the flesh of the salmon. The problem is you really dont know whether the fish is truly wild or just farm raised. You really have to trust your local fishmonger.

Trying to clean up my diet for the season and get back in shape after some shoulder surgery, and I've decided I want to add fish to my diet for dinners to keep it low fat. Here's the kicker. I absolutely hate seafood. ALL seafood. The only thing I eat that comes out of the sea is tuna from a can.

Does anyone have suggestions for a fish that has ZERO fishy taste and will just be meaty and bland could be best to get me used to it. And none of that crap of how seafood lovers say "oh it doesnt taste like seafood". It usually doesnt when you like it, but always does when you dont.

That said, lol any suggestions?
Cod is pretty bland but needs to be fried, not a good pan grilled fish, but then again if you do not want any taste that might be good for you. I cannot believe no one else mentioned this RED SNAPPER! Nice and meaty I do not taste alot of fishiness in that one-but like other poster said always get wild caught no farm raised anything!

Orange roughy is probably my favorite fish. I cant eat the real strong tasting ones,,,so this one I love.

Damn cant believe I forgot about this thread after I posted it. I'm glad I got some good feedback here. But to give you guys an example, I find Orange roughy to generally be pretty fishy. I'm gonna give the Tilapia a go, season it up nice and cook it with olive oil. Since I never eat seafood, can you base the doneness of fish on touch like you can meat?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear