over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Non responder - any hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sorry homie, calling bullshit. Some people may respond better than others but this “non-responder” crap is nonsense. If you eat, train and recover properly you will grow. You either need to do some serious self reflection and research on what you’re potentially doing wrong or hire a coach.

Exactly.

Some people have terrible genetics and a bad response but non responder is nonsense. This is obviously a diet and training issue. Something is definitely not right if he has just ran big cycles like that saying he can't grow at 180 pounds and 6ft.

I've posted here a couple of times before, to summarize, I'm now 43, got prescribed TRT 6 years ago, started cycling shortly after. Have been training all my life from age 13, hoping to get big one day :)
Unfortunately, it turns out that I'm a total non responder to AAS, no matter what I try my muscles just don't want to grow any further. I'm 6 feet tall, at 10% body fat I'm usually around 180 lb, when I go on a cycle, even fairly heavy, I gain maybe 15-20 lb in 8-12 weeks, but I can see it's mostly fat and water. Yes I'm getting a little stronger, but nothing spectacular, a rep or two here and there. Then when I start to cut, even very slowly, I end up again at 180 lb at 10% bf. My diet is really on point, I track all my macros, training is heavy and well designed.

My question is - is there a chance that when I introduce HGH to my protocol, it will be a game changer, maybe I respond better to HGH than AAS, or should I just give up and stay at the healthy 180 lb for the rest of my life, giving up on my dreams ?

My self prescribed TRT is 200mg TEST E a week. The last cycle I tried to bulk on for 8 weeks was 600mg Test EW, 400mg Tren E EW and 100mg Anadrol ED, first time I felt really bad on a cycle even though I've tried 1000mg Test E 700mg Equipoise before, didn't give me shit....
I'm rather an endomorph, can eat any amount of food. On this last cycle I went up to 4500kcal but started gaining fat. Now I went down to 3200kcal and fat is already melting away but my gains too :)

Thanks for any input!
Check out pm article growth principles for beginners, that was gold for me , basically tells you all you need to grow , the only thing I tweaked was the 500g protein per day , bulking 1 gram per pound of body weight, cutting 1.5 grams per pound of body weight, ya I don’t buy the non responder talk either bro , true we are all not gonna respond like say Kevin levrone to gear lol , but non responder like everyone says it’s diet and training most of time

I've posted here a couple of times before, to summarize, I'm now 43, got prescribed TRT 6 years ago, started cycling shortly after. Have been training all my life from age 13, hoping to get big one day :)
Unfortunately, it turns out that I'm a total non responder to AAS, no matter what I try my muscles just don't want to grow any further. I'm 6 feet tall, at 10% body fat I'm usually around 180 lb, when I go on a cycle, even fairly heavy, I gain maybe 15-20 lb in 8-12 weeks, but I can see it's mostly fat and water. Yes I'm getting a little stronger, but nothing spectacular, a rep or two here and there. Then when I start to cut, even very slowly, I end up again at 180 lb at 10% bf. My diet is really on point, I track all my macros, training is heavy and well designed.

My question is - is there a chance that when I introduce HGH to my protocol, it will be a game changer, maybe I respond better to HGH than AAS, or should I just give up and stay at the healthy 180 lb for the rest of my life, giving up on my dreams ?

My self prescribed TRT is 200mg TEST E a week. The last cycle I tried to bulk on for 8 weeks was 600mg Test EW, 400mg Tren E EW and 100mg Anadrol ED, first time I felt really bad on a cycle even though I've tried 1000mg Test E 700mg Equipoise before, didn't give me shit....
I'm rather an endomorph, can eat any amount of food. On this last cycle I went up to 4500kcal but started gaining fat. Now I went down to 3200kcal and fat is already melting away but my gains too :)

Thanks for any input!

At age 43 it isn't the time to try to get big.

List out your complete diet and training program.

On this last cycle I went up to 4500kcal but started gaining fat. Now I went down to 3200kcal and fat is already melting away but my gains too
Most of your post shouts 'winging it'. If you're talking about gains melting away, this indicates that your referring to fat as gains. Just because the scale goes up, that's not gains.
Most people who haven't been coached properly, or have been training a long time and taught by someone better than themselves always think their diet is 'on point' and that their training is intense. Which is usually far from the case in both instances. It's like the obese person who says they only eat salads and can't understand why they're gaining weight. Well, the salad is covered in so much garbage calories that the lettuce doesn't stand a chance. Work with someone knowledgeable in nutrition, and have someone show you what hard training with a progressive, consistent routine looks like.

Dumping more gear onto this isn't the answer if you don't have the foundation... as evident by your rapid gain with what you describe as water and fat. Sounds like the self-prescribing you've been doing lacks proper knowledge all around.

Years & years ago I always wondered why I wasn't growing and thought I ate a ton of food, I hired Shelby to help with diet and training and holy shit I realized I wasn't eating near the amount I thought I was, hiring a training helped tremendously for getting my training dialed in and getting nutrition where is should be.

Some people are more blessed genetically and might respond better but, there's no way your a non responder, the only thing your not responding to is proper diet and training, start there and it will amaze you.

HGH is not the game changer. Hiring a coach is.

At this stage I wouldn't recommend an online coach either; get one you can train with one-on-one who can look at your form & execution - it's one thing to move the weight, it's another thing to move it in a manner that optimally stimulates growth

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated! However I must admit that I don't agree with most of them :)

In the last 10 years, I've watched thousands of videos covering all aspects of bodybuilding. John Meadows, Scott Stevenson, Justin Harris, the Hypertrophy Coach, Greg Doucette, Chris Bumstead, the list goes on. Recently I've been watching Anabolic Bodybuilding by Big Dave a lot, great YouTube channel. I really eat and train in a very similar way to all these guys, and just as hard. I've trained at dozens of gyms in my life and was always in the group training the hardest and the smartest. I'm consistent, even when I go on Holidays first thing I do is finding a local gym to avoid skipping workouts. I take a week off training once or twice a year to let the joints and tendons recover, that's all. I never skip meals, always count macros.
I can't only complain either, I look now much better than before starting TRT and cycling. But it's like my body just doesn't want to grow past a certain point, maybe my natural myostatin levels are abnormally high. Whenever I start eating above maintenance, even on a quite heavy cycle, all these excess calories turn mostly into fat and not muscle. Even if the diet is super clean, basically chicken breast, white fish, lean beef, rice, vegetables and a little bit of fruit and nuts 7 times a day.

Take Ron Harris for example. Even though he tried, he never reached the size of a Pro, because he didn't have it in his genes. And he considers himself rather blessed genetically, on the "above average" side of the scale for sure when it comes to hypertrophy potential. I'm probably on the very bottom of this vast genetic scale, you blessed guys probably can't even imagine, some of you even want to send me to the beginners forum, that's mean to say the least haha :)

Well I was hoping that maybe it would turn out that I'm a hyper responder to HGH and that it would help me get to a lean 200lb, but it's most likely not the case... :(

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated! However I must admit that I don't agree with most of them :)

In the last 10 years, I've watched thousands of videos covering all aspects of bodybuilding. John Meadows, Scott Stevenson, Justin Harris, the Hypertrophy Coach, Greg Doucette, Chris Bumstead, the list goes on. Recently I've been watching Anabolic Bodybuilding by Big Dave a lot, great YouTube channel. I really eat and train in a very similar way to all these guys, and just as hard. I've trained at dozens of gyms in my life and was always in the group training the hardest and the smartest. I'm consistent, even when I go on Holidays first thing I do is finding a local gym to avoid skipping workouts. I take a week off training once or twice a year to let the joints and tendons recover, that's all. I never skip meals, always count macros.
I can't only complain either, I look now much better than before starting TRT and cycling. But it's like my body just doesn't want to grow past a certain point, maybe my natural myostatin levels are abnormally high. Whenever I start eating above maintenance, even on a quite heavy cycle, all these excess calories turn mostly into fat and not muscle. Even if the diet is super clean, basically chicken breast, white fish, lean beef, rice, vegetables and a little bit of fruit and nuts 7 times a day.

Take Ron Harris for example. Even though he tried, he never reached the size of a Pro, because he didn't have it in his genes. And he considers himself rather blessed genetically, on the "above average" side of the scale for sure when it comes to hypertrophy potential. I'm probably on the very bottom of this vast genetic scale, you blessed guys probably can't even imagine, some of you even want to send me to the beginners forum, that's mean to say the least haha :)

Well I was hoping that maybe it would turn out that I'm a hyper responder to HGH and that it would help me get to a lean 200lb, but it's most likely not the case... :(
The whole board seems to agree about you're scenario . I know you disagree with the outcome of your post , but please take all the good advice you've been given . Hire a coach . Count your macros , turn up the intensity and for fucks sake .....hold yourself accountable . Some people ask questions on here looking for the answer they wanna hear and when they don't get it they just openly disagree and never solve anything . Don't waste any more time being close minded and put your heart into this and stop looking for miracle doses of hgh or certain answers that sound easy . Maybe your genetics aren't the best but put your mind to it and build the best physique you can attain. Let these guys help

Thanks for any input!
You don't eat properly.

Your metabolism is slow.

You don't train properly.

There's not much to say, oh yes.... Spend money on a good coach.

You don't eat properly.

Your metabolism is slow.

You don't train properly.

There's not much to say, oh yes.... Spend money on a good coach.
An in person coach! This dude seems like he needs to be supervised in the gym since he actually thinks he’s doing shit correctly.

Try the HGH, it's the only way to find out 😉

For now just eat a well balanced diet, train very briefly but very intensely. Ditch the roods for now, you are not ready. Oh, And train every other day.

When in doubt, train harder and train less.

Read and do Big A’s advice for beginners. Can’t go wrong regardless of of your development or level.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

I always like these comparisons. Ron Harris didn't turn pro so it's not weird I'm not big. I hope you realize there is quite the difference between "not becoming a pro" and "using boat loads of gear and not being able to weigh more than 180 lbs"

On the other hand I'm not gonna tell you to not do the hgh. If I were you I would use the hgh. Buy 6 months worth of Hgh, use a decent amount. After the 6 months you'll see it's not magic powder in a vial, then hire a coach.

Is it possible you have a wasting condition, such as AIDS?

At age 43 it isn't the time to try to get big.

List out your complete diet and training program.

Answer my question in bold!

Answer my question in bold!
Sure, no problem !
So now that my cycle is over I'm in maintenance phase , went down to 3400kcal on training days and 2700kcal on rest days.

Breakfast : 2 sandwiches with chicken breast, omelette made of one whole egg and 200ml egg whites with a bit of caramel topping, veggies, fruit, 700kcal

To work I take a salad made of 400g white fish, 100g shrimps, asparagus, mushrooms and green peas, 700kcal total, I split it into 3 small meals.

After work : chicken breast with rice and veggies , 2 meals, 400kcal each.

Last evening meal : Greek yogurt with protein powder, nuts and fruit, 500kcal

That's the rest day, the only difference when it comes to training day is that I eat a lot of rice with whey powder preworkout, and then add whole grain cereal to my last, post workout meal, I work out in the evening.

I don't eat exactly the same everyday, swap chicken breast for lean beef or chicken liver, rotate vegetables etc.
On weekends I sometimes have sushi or ice cream with family but nothing crazy, all within calorie limits.

I train 4 times a week ( wish it was 5 but I have 2 small kids, it's a compromise with wife ), Push Pull Legs. I have workouts A and B and rotate between them.

Push workout A :
3 warm-up sets of incline dumbbell presses, then 3 working sets, reverse pyramid, 6 reps, 9 reps, 12 reps, drop set on the last set,
1 warm-up set and 3 working sets of one
incline cable flyers, reverse pyramid, 8, 12, 15 reps,
1 warm-up set and 3 working sets of decline dumbbell presses, 6, 9, 12 reps,
2 working sets of decline cable flyes,
1 warm-up set and 3 working sets of cable lateralt raises, 10, 12, 15 reps,
1 warm up set and 3 working sets of dumbbell shoulder presses, 12, 15, 20 reps,
2 working sets of weighted dips,
2 working sets of cable push-downs,
30 minutes cardio

Push workout B:
3 warm-up sets and 3 working sets of smith machine shoulder presses, 6,9,12 reps,
1 warm-up set and 3 working sets of seated dumbbell lateral raises, 8,10,12 reps,
1 warm-up set and 3 working sets of flat bench cable flyes, 10,12,15 reps
1 warm-up set and 3 working sets of flat bench dumb presses, 10, 12, 15 reps
3 working sets of decline cable flyes, 12,15,18 reps,
3 working sets of decline machine presses, 10,15,20 reps
3 working sets of dumbbell skull crushers, 8,10,12,
30 minutes cardio,

Basically all the working sets are taken to failure or close to failure, on some exercises 1 working set is a rest-pause set and 1 is a drop set.
I used to do only 2 working sets per exercise but recently added a little more volume, to see how it works, it seems to be the new tendency:)

Pull and leg workouts have the same logic and similar volume, I could write it all down but is it necessary?
When it comes to training I'm a little limited at age 43, can't do barbell presses because they hurt my shoulders, can't do regular back squats, only front squats, on pull exercises I try to use a neutral grip as much as possible, I get forearm tendonitis when I use pronated or supinated grip too much.
I should maybe also mention that my life is quite stressful, I have a demanding graphic design job with constant deadlines, but who isn't stressed these days, I don't think it's the main factor hindering me from growing... I also have 2 small kids so often don't get enough sleep, it sure plays a role but probably not so big...

What do you think? Something totally off with my diet or training?

Sure, no problem !
So now that my cycle is over I'm in maintenance phase , went down to 3400kcal on training days and 2700kcal on rest days.

Breakfast : 2 sandwiches with chicken breast, omelette made of one whole egg and 200ml egg whites with a bit of caramel topping, veggies, fruit, 700kcal

To work I take a salad made of 400g white fish, 100g shrimps, asparagus, mushrooms and green peas, 700kcal total, I split it into 3 small meals.

That's the rest day, the only difference when it comes to training day is that I eat a lot of rice with whey powder preworkout, and then add whole grain cereal to my last, post workout meal, I work out in the evening.

I don't eat exactly the same everyday, swap chicken breast for lean beef or chicken liver, rotate vegetables etc.
On weekends I sometimes have sushi or ice cream with family but nothing crazy, all within calorie limits.

I train 4 times a week ( wish it was 5 but I have 2 small kids, it's a compromise with wife ), Push Pull Legs. I have workouts A and B and rotate between them.

Push workout A :
3 warm-up sets of incline dumbbell presses, then 3 working sets, reverse pyramid, 6 reps, 9 reps, 12 reps, drop set on the last set,
30 minutes cardio

Push workout B:
3 warm-up sets and 3 working sets of smith machine shoulder presses, 6,9,12 reps,
1 warm-up set and 3 working sets of seated dumbbell lateral raises, 8,10,12 reps,
30 minutes cardio,

Basically all the working sets are taken to failure or close to failure, on some exercises 1 working set is a rest-pause set and 1 is a drop set.
I used to do only 2 working sets per exercise but recently added a little more volume, to see how it works, it seems to be the new tendency:)

Pull and leg workouts have the same logic and similar volume, I could write it all down but is it necessary?
When it comes to training I'm a little limited at age 43, can't do barbell presses because they hurt my shoulders, can't do regular back squats, only front squats, on pull exercises I try to use a neutral grip as much as possible, I get forearm tendonitis when I use pronated or supinated grip too much.
I should maybe also mention that my life is quite stressful, I have a demanding graphic design job with constant deadlines, but who isn't stressed these days, I don't think it's the main factor hindering me from growing... I also have 2 small kids so often don't get enough sleep, it sure plays a role but probably not so big...

You just summed up your problems here. Undereating, stress (research what cortisol does too your body), injuries and improper rest.

Sure, no problem !

Push workout A :
30 minutes cardio

Push workout B:
30 minutes cardio,

Sleep can be a huge problem, I have struggled with sleep my whole life, I have a high metabolism and when I hired Shelby we started at 2500 calories a day just for a starting point but ended up at 5500 a day and that put me gaining 1-2lbs per week, and over 3 months I put on 15lbs, not all muscle of course but I Iooked and felt better than I had in years. The knowledge he taught me has helped me years down the road. I'm glad I hired him. Injuries play a big a part also, you can't train as hard as you use to, but at 43 maintaining your health should be your goal.

Another thing I was taught was to play around with where your calories are coming from, like what is coming from fat, carbs, and protein and maybe make adjustments, we made adjustments and changed what percent came from what, and then increased one and decreased another until we got it dialed in better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads