over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Note on blood pressure at the doctor's office

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Just want to share what happened to me today. They take my bp on an Omron monitor it looks like they bought on Amazon and the readings read 150/60 both times. This worried the hell out of me and I didn't know if the arm cuff was large enough or not. She tells me she can take me to the other room to take it on a manual machine (the accurate one) and it read 115/75 after checking twice.

Bottom line is try to get them to take it on a manual monitor. It's pretty scary how wrong their Omron monitor was.

I know what you mean bro. I bet it was a normal size cuff though. I have a life source that I hope is accurate haha. It even measures my wife's tiny arm same as a doctor's office.

I know what you mean bro. I bet it was a normal size cuff though. I have a life source that I hope is accurate haha. It even measures my wife's tiny arm same as a doctor's office.

It was a little bigger than the other one she had. Still don't know if that was big enough though. Judging by the reading, probably not.

Go buy a digital BP monitor with a wrist cuff at Walgreens for 30 bucks. Mine tends to be very accurate when compared to the results I get from the manual monitor my doc uses.

Ya those things are never accurate on me either

. . . She tells me she can take me to the other room to take it on a manual machine (the accurate one) and it read 115/75 after checking twice.

Bottom line is try to get them to take it on a manual monitor. It's pretty scary how wrong their Omron monitor was.

I agree, go analog.

I still use the ‘gold standard,’ the classic Hewlett Packard stethoscope. (Now discontinued,
I think you can find them on EBay but they are gobbled up pretty fast I suspect and
probably go for thousands of dollars. Yes, they are - were that good.) And I use an analog
meter and the proper size cuff. No batteries or BS to fail at the wrong time.

My stethoscope works perfectly to this day, probably bought it 30 years ago when I
worked at HP. Used it more times than I can remember over the years when I volunteered
as an EMT for our local Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Team.

The electronic ones I am not 100% sure about. They are just easier to use (which is probably
why they use them), am not sure they are as accurate. If you use one, it is all about consistency.
If you go to another device, your mileage may vary as a function of the tool . . . i.e., it may
not be you. Don’t panic. Just be aware. The ones they have in the pharm dept. are notoriously
inaccurate in my opinion.

The cuff, again, like many have said, is size sensitive so please factor that in to your equation.
And you gotta be able to hear what is going on, hence a good stethoscope is invaluable.
Juggling them both when taking your own is a pain in rear but most will figure it out with some
practice.

FYI . . . I take my blood pressure like any reputable cardiologist does: lying down, seated,
(do not cross your legs when lying or seated) and standing. And if they really care about
accuracy, they will take it at the start of your appointment and at the end (white coat syndrome).

Also, write the numbers down. Unlike ink . . . your memory fades over time. I have
my notes from over 30 years ago. I also have records of all the medications I have ever
been on and off of and why. I bring all this when I visit my doctor(s) and they are blown
away by it. I keep better record than they do. This all seems pretty normal to me, after
all how else do you know what works or does not work?

You cannot beat the old mercury sphygmomanometer and a good stethoscope.

A standard cuff may be too small but how do we know the larger cuffs aren't similarly(favorably though) inaccurate? Doesn't seem like an exact science...just seems to depend on the fit.

A standard cuff may be too small but how do we know the larger cuffs aren't similarly(favorably though) inaccurate? Doesn't seem like an exact science...just seems to depend on the fit.

Exactly. I was also thinking about this as well. This thing looked literally just like my home monitor. I couldn't believe they were using a monitor purchased in a store at a doctor's office.

Exactly. I was also thinking about this as well. This thing looked literally just like my home monitor. I couldn't believe they were using a monitor purchased in a store at a doctor's office.
I have a home monitor I have the Xtra large cuff (up to 23 inch arm) and its off a little...Always bring it with me and Dr checks using both to see how off it is...It's damn near dead on just bottom number is always exactly 5 points higher than Dr doing it...

Omni Labs SPONSORED ATHLETE©[email protected]®THE REAPER

I have a home monitor I have the Xtra large cuff (up to 23 inch arm) and its off a little...Always bring it with me and Dr checks using both to see how off it is...It's damn near dead on just bottom number is always exactly 5 points higher than Dr doing it...

Omni Labs SPONSORED ATHLETE[emoji767][email protected][emoji768]THE REAPER

Is it the Life Source monitor you're using?

I have been working at a doctors office for many years. Some of the electronic machines are very accurate. There are some cheap ones that suck though.

No one ever believes their blood pressure though. It's normal to fluctuate from one minute to another.

I fix and calibrate medical equipment for a living. There are many factors that can mess with the accuracy of the bp machine. Without getting over technical always get it done by a human the manual way. Majority of those little machines are way off. There are hospital grade BP units but they are very pricey so clinics would rather get a bargain and end up with shit:

I agree, go analog.

I still use the ‘gold standard,’ the classic Hewlett Packard stethoscope. (Now discontinued,
I think you can find them on EBay but they are gobbled up pretty fast I suspect and
probably go for thousands of dollars. Yes, they are - were that good.) And I use an analog
meter and the proper size cuff. No batteries or BS to fail at the wrong time.

My stethoscope works perfectly to this day, probably bought it 30 years ago when I
worked at HP. Used it more times than I can remember over the years when I volunteered
as an EMT for our local Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Team.

The electronic ones I am not 100% sure about. They are just easier to use (which is probably
why they use them), am not sure they are as accurate. If you use one, it is all about consistency.
If you go to another device, your mileage may vary as a function of the tool . . . i.e., it may
not be you. Don’t panic. Just be aware. The ones they have in the pharm dept. are notoriously
inaccurate in my opinion.

The cuff, again, like many have said, is size sensitive so please factor that in to your equation.
And you gotta be able to hear what is going on, hence a good stethoscope is invaluable.
Juggling them both when taking your own is a pain in rear but most will figure it out with some
practice.

FYI . . . I take my blood pressure like any reputable cardiologist does: lying down, seated,
(do not cross your legs when lying or seated) and standing. And if they really care about
accuracy, they will take it at the start of your appointment and at the end (white coat syndrome).

Also, write the numbers down. Unlike ink . . . your memory fades over time. I have
my notes from over 30 years ago. I also have records of all the medications I have ever
been on and off of and why. I bring all this when I visit my doctor(s) and they are blown
away by it. I keep better record than they do. This all seems pretty normal to me, after
all how else do you know what works or does not work?

This man's posts read like a memoir. I get excited everytime I see him contribute.

You are probably every doctor's ideal patient. In one room you got Bob whose 100 lbs overweight, and forgot if he took his BP medication today. In the other room it's you with years and years of medical/physiological records.

Guys do this. Go to Wally World and get the ReliOn model HEM-741. It has the big cuff. That is what my doc recommended and its what Consumer Reports gave a really good rating to. If you get it then take it to your docs office and take a few readings with it while you are there. Then get your doc to take a few readings with the good ole mercury and stethoscope. That's what we did and the ReliOn was accurate.

Or you can avoid a co-pay at your docs office and just go to the local fire department. Those guys will take your blood pressure and you can compare the machine to what readings they get.

I use the following:

https://www.amazon.com/LifeSource-B...957937&sr=8-2&keywords=life+source+bp+monitor

very accurate on my 22" arms with the xtra large cuff, most of the doctors I've been to don't even have a cuff that will close on my arm or wrist and if they do it reads 200+ when really its under 130

Yea this is the exact one I own myself. Dante first recommended it a few years ago so I took the plunge. I actually find the readings on this one are slightly lower than they truly are.

Get your own monitor and just keep checking it until you get a read you like. That's what everyone else does :D

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws