advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T Anyone have two bachelors? Double Majors?

Bleed

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Verified Customer
My best option is to go back to school for another bachelors rather than getting a master.

Anyone here manage to piggyback their first degree and get a good double major that helped them in the job market?

The idea of being in debt for two bachelors degrees isn't ideal but it seems like my best option. Looking for a nudge in the right direction. Indecision isn't normal for me!

My best option is to go back to school for another bachelors rather than getting a master.

Anyone here manage to piggyback their first degree and get a good double major that helped them in the job market?

The idea of being in debt for two bachelors degrees isn't ideal but it seems like my best option. Looking for a nudge in the right direction. Indecision isn't normal for me!

I think your choice should be based on what is going to be the best option for your career? Will the additional BA degree help you advance or will getting your Masters help you?

With out knowing your situation I would say go for your masters degree, especially if it relates directly with the career you're looking to get in to. The reason I say that is bc a masters degree looks better on your résumé versus a double BA degree, IMO.

If it's a requisite for your job. Go for it

I got a double bachelor in accounting n economics. N although they compliment each other both lead down 2 very different jobs.

Havind said that I have a mate who did a double major in some sort of engineering n pharmaceutical n now he designs n builds a lot of the equipment to make pharmaceuticals.

Depends on ur career path

A masters degree is the new bachelors degree. Unless you're going back for a technical skill like something mechanical or nursing you're better off going up. It is possible to change majors in your masters by taking a semester of two of prerequisites. Your most verso tile masters is an MBA and most of those programs offer undergraduate bridge classes for non business majors.

For most, the biggest question is going to be how much is this going to cost me? I have a BA and a BS... So it took 4 years for the 1st and roughly 2 years (including summer school) for the other because of the elective credits I already had.

If my 2nd degree had been in the same science, say Finance then Accounting, it probably would have taken a year with summer school full time, because all the core and pre reqs would already be completed.

Having said all of that, I went to a satellite campus of my state school and it cost me very little for in state tuition, as compared to the big campus or a private school.

If you were MIT Robotics and now want to go to Harvard Business, by all means have at it. But paying $40k a year for a 2nd degree at a non Ivy League? Not worth it. JMO of course.

Also, when I got my Masters, you had to have a lot of pre req classes from that particular bachelor program. So if you didn't have those, you had to take all those classes before you took a single Masters level class. By the time you had them done, you were 3/4 of the way to a bachelors degree, so why not just get it, plus the Masters? That's sorta the way it worked out for me anyway.

Again, satellite state campus was by far the least expensive for both my 2nd and Masters degrees.

yep. Management Information Systems and Business Management.

Masters Degrees are good, IF and ONLY IF they apply to your current field of work. I interview TONS of young people who have masters and no work experience. They provide ZERO additional value than a bachelors degree, as they have no experience.

Yea I think it really comes down to if a Masters in your Bachelor's field would boost you more than a Bachelor's in a new field. I have a BS in Biology and its not worth much unless you go onto a medical vocation or continue your education in that field. But that being said if I really want to get a good lab job I will have to pursue my degree to the PhD level. At this point I am pursuing another BS with a new major in a field with more work available once I get out. For me this works better, plus I already have all the undergrad random prerequisites out of the way so I can just focus on the classes for the new major.

This is my problem. A masters in my field gives me zero experience still. So at this time I feel like paying for the second bachelors will be worth it if there is synergy between the two degrees.

I'm looking at civil engineering and possibly getting something in environmental engineering for 4 or 5 more classes.

Debt sucks but I am looking at my options and this seems to be the best of the worst.

I do feel like smashing my face off a wall though. Lulz

yep. Management Information Systems and Business Management.

Masters Degrees are good, IF and ONLY IF they apply to your current field of work. I interview TONS of young people who have masters and no work experience. They provide ZERO additional value than a bachelors degree, as they have no experience.

What I'm saying is a Masters degree should be to bolster your current experience and sling shot you to the next level. Too many people don't even have real careers yet and are getting Masters. Meaningless.
I had a 25 year old with an MBA apply for a position that he had ZERO clue how to do, but he said his "education" gave him enough experience. I actually laughed out loud when I read that....

What I'm saying is a Masters degree should be to bolster your current experience and sling shot you to the next level. Too many people don't even have real careers yet and are getting Masters. Meaningless.
I had a 25 year old with an MBA apply for a position that he had ZERO clue how to do, but he said his "education" gave him enough experience. I actually laughed out loud when I read that....

If he had applied for something more "entry level" with the MBA, and you had another candidate all things being equal without the MBA, would you consider that a plus or no difference whatsoever?

If he had applied for something more "entry level" with the MBA, and you had another candidate all things being equal without the MBA, would you consider that a plus or no difference whatsoever?

It would depend on the position, however an MBA without work experience is like a tool belt without tools.

yes. I did it the way you explained.
no one can ever take it away after you get it

This is my problem. A masters in my field gives me zero experience still. So at this time I feel like paying for the second bachelors will be worth it if there is synergy between the two degrees.

I'm looking at civil engineering and possibly getting something in environmental engineering for 4 or 5 more classes.

Debt sucks but I am looking at my options and this seems to be the best of the worst.

The best advice I can think of is to talk to people that do the hiring for positions you are looking to get in the future and ask them directly which of those options would better suit you and is there anything else they can think of as well that would help. Then later when you are ready to get those positions they may still be there and may remember you.

I have a b.s in accounting, minor in marketing, and working on my b.s in nursing. Still don't know what I want to be when I
Grow up lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it all depends really on what job field you are trying to go into. For example if you are working in mental health/social work/psych, then you need the master's because everyone else has it. A double bachelor's doesn't sound like a great idea IMO. I think the master's in your current field would be less expensive, and help keep you specialized. I have a BA in marketing and find that the bachelor's is enough for many jobs

An opinion from a lady...seeking a bachelor's degree in a different field is only wise if you are completely changing careers. If you can get a master's degree to complement your existing degree your experience within your field will help with the job search because your depth of knowledge will be specialized. Many markets use a "step" pay scale; I would hate to see you lose years of experience and only move across the scale. Think deep and wide...good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have a double BS. I have a BS in Electrical Engineering and one in Technical Project Management. It was faster to get both rather than go for my masters. In my line of work it fit perfect because you need to have skills in both areas.

I dont, but my daughter is studying for her fields of interest. Which is 2 degrees, and also going for an educational degree in case she cant fully support her self on her career choice (requires some luck) has a fall back plan.

I double majored and did so to enhance my marketability by taking two majors that complemented one another. Although I do feel it helped me get into the position I am in, holding a masters degree is far more valuable than two bachelors or a double major. Ideally you'll be able to get a decent entry level job that will pay for your masters and you can use that to grow, either within your company or elsewhere.

In undergrad if you excel in one major but have diverse experience with community service, leadership roles, clubs and part time work you may be looked at even higher than if you performed mediocre with two degrees.

What is your current degree in? If you have no education in engineering and that what you want to do, then you might be starting from scratch. The good news is that in engineering it's your certificate and not the education level that matters when starting out. Most places wont certify you without a bachelors or even a masters but universities like Purdue offer an accelerated (and difficult) associates degree that certifies you.

If your education translates at all to the career you want, I suggest you look into an unpaid internship. If you can hold a job to pay the bills and fit in an internship you may gain that work experience and prove that your a hard worker which will get you into the job you want.

I have 2 friends who have done this. One had a bachelors degree in business and landed an internship with General Electric who in turn hired him and paid for his masters in industrial engineering. He made over 100k while going to school all because he busted his ass as an intern. The other was not in school at all, but was a certified personal trainer and talked an nfl team into letting him intern for a year. You don't have to currently be in school to be an intern, and it can open up a lot of doors.

Oh and both of those guys were holding jobs and competing in bodybuilding during those internships.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear