over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T Anyone know about cars?

GoneForever

Banned
Gonna have a 2000 accord with 115k miles sitting in a garage in the midwest for about 3months. Im gonna have someone start it up once per week for like 5min b/c I heard its bad for the car if you dont. So, is that true, does it need to be started a few times per week and if so for how long? Also, does it have to be driven?

it needs to be started atleast once a week....unless u dont mind buying a new battery. also, sitting for a long time flattens the tires.

its good to start a car just to keep all the fluids and the oil moving so they dont gum up, also keeps the battery charged. If not, you have to "winterize" a car and its a big p.i.t.a

Ex Honda service manager here, I would have it started once a week and ran around the block each time. When it becomes a daily driver again have honda look at all the fluids and perform the routine maintenance.:)

Add fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and run it for 5 min to get it into the injection system.

I would not start the car for 5 minutes. I would add fuel stabilizer, drive it around for a bit then park it. You could disconnect the battery or put it on a charger. Starting it for 5 minutes once a week is very bad. If you start it and don't let it run until it reaches normal operating temperature you will build up moisture in bad places. Best to just leave it, then next spring drop the oil and get everything else checked.

I would not start the car for 5 minutes. I would add fuel stabilizer, drive it around for a bit then park it. You could disconnect the battery or put it on a charger. Starting it for 5 minutes once a week is very bad. If you start it and don't let it run until it reaches normal operating temperature you will build up moisture in bad places. Best to just leave it, then next spring drop the oil and get everything else checked.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Cars are a lot like houses in regard to letting them sit for a while, it is one of the worst things you can do to either one, but the above advice will keep you in good shape.

Its better to just disconnect the battery for the time youre gone.

Driving it will not be an option. Its gonna be in a garage with other cars behind it. So you guys think im better off starting it up a few times per week for a few min's or just disconnectiong the battery and leaving it for 3months.

Three months is no biggie . if it was three years , I'd say drive it every few months . the main thing is the brake system , all those little rubber pistons need to move a little here and there to keep from freezing up.

3 month? that's nothing...........

worst case, you might have a weak battery.....

3 month? that's nothing...........

worst case, you might have a weak battery.....

Very true. I've rebuilt engines and worked on cars for years. My
two younger brothers are mechanics one diesel. 3 months
ain't nothin . Main reason they say you need to occasionally
get the fluids flowing is to prevent gaskets and the rubber O rings
from dry rot and I don't see that happening in 3 months.

AGREED

Very true. I've rebuilt engines and worked on cars for years. My
two younger brothers are mechanics one diesel. 3 months
ain't nothin . Main reason they say you need to occasionally
get the fluids flowing is to prevent gaskets and the rubber O rings
from dry rot and I don't see that happening in 3 months.

But you should also fill the tank with fresh fuel and add Stabil to the tank right after you fill it, then drive it to the garage, park it and disconnect the battery cables, that's all.

But you should also fill the tank with fresh fuel and add Stabil to the tank right after you fill it, then drive it to the garage, park it and disconnect the battery cables, that's all.

Not a bad idea but Gas won't go bad in three months either. I'm going
to retract what I said about fluids, and leaving the car sit. Now that
I think about it you should occasionally get fluids flowing through the engine to keep
the bearings wet too. and in the long run prevent O ring dry rot. But I still
say three months is no biggy.

Last edited:
I just bought a 99 accord with close to the same miles it sat for 4 months the tires had flat spots..........took 2 weeks to ride them out, put the car on blocks so this won't happen.........cant always ride out the fat spots.

What are flat spots?

Also im gonna see if I can get someone to drive the car once per week to work, hopefully that way I wont have to worry about anything.

Gonna have a 2000 accord with 115k miles sitting in a garage in the midwest for about 3months. Im gonna have someone start it up once per week for like 5min b/c I heard its bad for the car if you dont. So, is that true, does it need to be started a few times per week and if so for how long? Also, does it have to be driven?

I know one of the worst things you can do to a vehicle is let it sit and dont drive it. Gaskest dry out,,,tires dry rot,,battery gets low etc...
sale it or have someone drive it a little.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131