over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T Anyone own a muscle car?

RLara85

Registered
A real old-school one, not a modern day incarnation of one.

I'm not really a huge fan, but there is one that has always probably been my ideal car, thats the old Stingray Vette. I was shocked at how affordable they were, I don't think I saw one over $12.000 (of course some weren't "official" stingray years, some were 1980 models etc., but I'm not picky, it's the design I like). Gas prices were soaring at the time, which is the reason I had traded in my mustang and was looking for something fun but economical, ended up with an S2000 which I also love... but I could have gotten a decent stingray for the same price. Maybe in the future.....

How reliable are these oldies? Specifically Vettes if anyone has had one. I've never had non fuel-injected car so I'd need to re-learn some things. Are parts still easy to find/affordable? Any other input?

If I ever did get one I wouldn't turn into some tricked out track car, just something fun to drive on the street. A quality full side exhaust, heads/cams... maybe a fresh coat of paint if needed and some tint. That's about all I'd want to do with it really, aside from that just maintain it and keep it in good shape. I'm not one to blow hundreds of dollars on modding a car, I like to buy something I already like out of the box, make a few minor tweaks and then just enjoy the thing and take good care of it.

Any crazy expenses I could run into? Or other cons?

I've had 2 diff camaros,trans am,firebird formula 350,a mustang turbo gt, a68 firebird convertable,and 2 corvettes.My favorite was my bandit edition trans am 400 with two 4 barrel carburators.I love muscle cars but drive an SUV full time lol.I do have an 87 corvette in mint with under 50,000 miles which I drive on occasion.
Those older cars reliabilty depends on condition but no way as reliable as newer cars.Parts ca be found pretty easily now with internet.
I tell you what,that new Camaro is a geat value with a monster engine.I was reading about it the other day.
A lot depends on how good are you with cars? if you can work on it and keep it going yourself? if not forget an older one and get a newer dependable one.

Yeah, 1979...

Its got a chevy big block 454 in it. Its easy to work on. However Ive changed a few starters in it due to the fact of the larger engine. Its fun to drive but a bit squirrley

My 2nd car was a 1970 Chevelle SS. Wish I still had it....

I recently sold my 68 corvette for 10k. it was in rough shape, not quite driveable. If you have them well redone they are quite reliable cars as they are simple cars. the engine generally a chevy 350 which is most reliable engine ever built, so then its the little things. A full replacement of entire brake system if its never been done goes a long way. Then its just power steering and AC that you have to worry about....

I've owned 3 Dodge Challengers, a 1970 SE, a 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 6 pack with a shaker hood... I just sold a factory red 1970 A66 Dodge Challenger with all the R/T options, I've owned a 2003 red Dodge Viper last year and now i have a modern day muscle car which is a Z06 vette procharged that dynos 700 at the rear wheels on 12lbs of boost.

My dad's 79 Trans Am is easy to work on. Parts in good condition can be hard to come by, mainly the interior. We had a hell of a time finding a nice center console that was used, but not cracked to hell. His first was destroyed in a flood, during the polishing stages. 24 more hours and it would have been done, after a six year restoration...

I am looking for a nitro yellow green Charger right now. Yeah, I can buy any color and paint it that, but I want the original.

oh yeah, I left that out. Literally for the corvettes up to 1982 you can buy the parts to build one from scratch. Every last little piece is available in reproduction at least as some of the cars sell for serious bucks finished.

Mass you lucky SOB, Vipers are so awesome, far from my price range now though. I drove a GTS years ago, the classic blue with white stripes, that thing was just something else.

If I did get an old Vette I wouldn't settle for one with any major interior damage, I really don't want a fixer-upper. I could understand worn out seats and all the minor maintenance items but no major problems. My dads friend bought an old truck to turn it into a "show car".... that was like five years ago, they've spent thousands on it, the thing is still a piece of crap and rarely even driveable.

That's what I would want to avoid, they've thrown so much money at that thing that they could have probably gotten a newer c6 or whatever and had enough left over to drop a blower in it. That truck is just a bottomless money pit and they can never even enjoy it, not my idea of fun.

If used vipers are out of your price range, so are classic muscle cars that are in good enough shape to not need anything. For a corvette in seriously no issues shape you are looking at 15-30k easily, which you can pick up a used viper in that range.

If used vipers are out of your price range, so are classic muscle cars that are in good enough shape to not need anything. For a corvette in seriously no issues shape you are looking at 15-30k easily, which you can pick up a used viper in that range.

What year Viper are you talking about?

I just poked around and found a handful under $30k with 30-50k miles on them, didn't pay attention to the year. I recall at least one was a 94, but thats still 20+ years newer than some we're talking about :)

I'm not really a huge fan, but there is one that has always probably been my ideal car, thats the old Stingray Vette. I was shocked at how affordable they were, I don't think I saw one over $12.000 (of course some weren't "official" stingray years, some were 1980 models etc., but I'm not picky, it's the design I like). Gas prices were soaring at the time, which is the reason I had traded in my mustang and was looking for something fun but economical, ended up with an S2000 which I also love... but I could have gotten a decent stingray for the same price. Maybe in the future.....

How reliable are these oldies? Specifically Vettes if anyone has had one. I've never had non fuel-injected car so I'd need to re-learn some things. Are parts still easy to find/affordable? Any other input?

If I ever did get one I wouldn't turn into some tricked out track car, just something fun to drive on the street. A quality full side exhaust, heads/cams... maybe a fresh coat of paint if needed and some tint. That's about all I'd want to do with it really, aside from that just maintain it and keep it in good shape. I'm not one to blow hundreds of dollars on modding a car, I like to buy something I already like out of the box, make a few minor tweaks and then just enjoy the thing and take good care of it.

lots of expenses!....i have restored many muscle cars. if you dont replace everything now, you will do so after having it towed. buy one that has been restored. you will thank yourself in the long run.

how much are you looking to spend for a reliable freshened up stingray?

had a 1969 z28 302 crossfire rockcrusher 4speed sold it and now a 2001 toy gt-s and a 1995 s14 nissan both are well over 350horses.. lv my toys solid car and economical both 4 cylinders turbo ..but got to get a family car ..lol I'm looking to get a 2004 m45 i luv that platform..

Restoring a 69' Camaro R/S from the ground up as we speak. Shits expensive!!!!! lol

I just poked around and found a handful under $30k with 30-50k miles on them, didn't pay attention to the year. I recall at least one was a 94, but thats still 20+ years newer than some we're talking about :)

yea, you can pick one up that year for that price but the 03 up year you will be hard pressed to find one under 40 grand if your lucky.

lots of expenses!....i have restored many muscle cars. if you dont replace everything now, you will do so after having it towed. buy one that has been restored. you will thank yourself in the long run.

how much are you looking to spend for a reliable freshened up stingray?

Yes, buy them with all the work already done, you will save a ton of money and won't have any headaches to deal with and can actually make a good profit when you go to sell it. :D

Are you serious? I've never seen a viper under $35k around here, at least not one that wasn't a salvage. Heck I'll gladly wait a decade or two for the GTS models to drop to 20-25k, I'd gladly take one of those over any new car, just a timeless design IMO.

I'd drop $15k for a stringray in good working condition, wouldn't expect it to be show quality at that price but would expect everything to function properly with no problems.

Last edited:

There is a member on this site that goes by Deez Nutz, he's a good pal of mine, and restoration and locating old rides is his gig. You might send him a PM.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear