over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T - Considering Joining The US Airforce

littlefoot

Registered
I've always loved flying and the air force has intrigued me for a long time. I don't necessarily have to be a pilot as my job in the air force, I'm pretty much open to anything.

I just finished my BA and I wanted to consider officer training, but I know they're looking at candidates for OTS with a minimum 3.5GPA and mine was just over 3.0 so I know that's not a possibility.

I'm not sure whether to join the reserves or the regular air force, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I guess my main point to this thread is to get a sense of the members here who have served in the US Armed Forces in any capacity. How have your experiences been? How was boot camp and how do you prepare for that...what is it like? Did you find that enlisting helped you as a person and get a job that you wanted?

Do you have any advice on how to go about this process?

I'm obviously willing to cease all aas usage in an effort to join. I have a prescription for adderall but I'm willing to give that up and take my chances if that is the requirement.

I've always loved flying and the air force has intrigued me for a long time. I don't necessarily have to be a pilot as my job in the air force, I'm pretty much open to anything.

I just finished my BA and I wanted to consider officer training, but I know they're looking at candidates for OTS with a minimum 3.5GPA and mine was just over 3.0 so I know that's not a possibility.

I'm not sure whether to join the reserves or the regular air force, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I guess my main point to this thread is to get a sense of the members here who have served in the US Armed Forces in any capacity. How have your experiences been? How was boot camp and how do you prepare for that...what is it like? Did you find that enlisting helped you as a person and get a job that you wanted?

Do you have any advice on how to go about this process?

I'm obviously willing to cease all aas usage in an effort to join. I have a prescription for adderall but I'm willing to give that up and take my chances if that is the requirement.

I was enlisted, If I were going to make the military a career it would only be as an Officer. Your pay and benefits are much better, and chances for a better job when you do get out.
Boot camp is not bad, anyone can do the physical aspect of it, it is the mind games that get to many of the recruits. It is one of those things where when you are done, you say that wasn't bad, but when you are going through it you say this fuckin sucks.
If I were you, I would talk to a recruiter and let him know you want to join but only if you get OTC. Don't let them talk you into any bullshit where they tell you to join then in the future they will see what they can do for you. Lay it on the table, put the ball in there court and then leave.

Worst mistake you could ever make.

Continue your education, get a stable well paying job, and start a family in the future.

Furthering your education will open up many job opportunities in the future.

What did you get your BA in? Are you not interested in that area at all??

I have many friends in the forces (mostly Navy and Air Force) but ALL of them went FOR college...as in some went to Annapolis and Colorado Springs. THAT maade the most sense to me...you get a fantastic education AND if you are motivated to serve your country, you get to do that too...

but the idea of finishing your degree THEN choosing to go into the military NEVER occurred to me.

Just interested in hearing the reasons or other options you have going on.

I was enlisted, If I were going to make the military a career it would only be as an Officer. Your pay and benefits are much better, and chances for a better job when you do get out.
Boot camp is not bad, anyone can do the physical aspect of it, it is the mind games that get to many of the recruits. It is one of those things where when you are done, you say that wasn't bad, but when you are going through it you say this fuckin sucks.
If I were you, I would talk to a recruiter and let him know you want to join but only if you get OTC. Don't let them talk you into any bullshit where they tell you to join then in the future they will see what they can do for you. Lay it on the table, put the ball in there court and then leave.

Unfortunately with this sequestration, the money is a bit tight in all branches...although my friend (Warrant Officer US Army) told me that "the Army never has enough money...somehow the Air Force always has money though." By the way, he started out in the USAF for 4 years. But the point seems to be that officer selection is even more competitive now and having a sub 3.5 GPA d/cs me from OTS.

Continue your education, get a stable well paying job, and start a family in the future.

You say this from experience?

What did you get your BA in? Are you not interested in that area at all??

I have many friends in the forces (mostly Navy and Air Force) but ALL of them went FOR college...as in some went to Annapolis and Colorado Springs. THAT maade the most sense to me...you get a fantastic education AND if you are motivated to serve your country, you get to do that too...

but the idea of finishing your degree THEN choosing to go into the military NEVER occurred to me.

Just interested in hearing the reasons or other options you have going on.

International Relations, ironically. I'm certainly interested in the field, but it was a degree choice that was mainly in the interests of getting a degree. You know what I mean? It's a very broad field.

Well, I didn't go to college with the intention of joining the Air Force afterwards, but I figure the order might not matter that much. 4 years is 4 years. But the types of opportunities that joining the Air Force, serving my country could afford me might be worth the commitment.

Armed Forces is a great way to go.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping for.

Does anyone have any opinions between the reserves and the regular AF?

I was active and then went reserves... Remember reserves get sent alot more now than they use too! People use to join the reserves to get money for college, and then bounce... Active to me was better because u lived it everyday, RESERVES DO NOT, I REPEAT!! do not get access to thier retirement until age 60!!! ACTIVE DUTY AFTER 20 will draw a pension a month at the least after they retire!!! u can ASK FOR A GUARANTEED JOB, u can ask for a BOP, base of preference, u can request a job with a bonus, BUT MOST OF ALL: GET A JOB U WILL LIKE DOING IN THE SERVICE AS MUCH AS UD LIKE TO DO AS A CIVILIAN! Because when and if u get out its worth it to have a job u like!

I served in the air force and wished id had gone either:

Medical
Intelligence
Contracting

Because i have learned that those jobs offer the most opportunities to me anyways...

Reserves are 1 weekend a month and about 2-4 week training on top of that per summer,

Reserves will fill like "ah damn i gotta mis my kids bday this weekend because i have drill"

But active will do the same if ur in a high tempo job who goes to the sand box a lot during the year

DO NOT BECOME A CREW CHIEF OR ENGINE TROOP ON AIRCRAFT, unless u like doing those maintenance jobs? DO NOT BECOME A COP EITHER! U will not ever be home! Always gone for up to a year to 18 months a lot during ur enlistment if u enlist?

GO OFFICER AT ALL COSTS IF U CAN! I was gonna go back in when i got my degree, but said hell na im good!

Good luck... Make the best choices for u and ur future before they own u and make most pf then for u!

Sequestration is not going to last for too long. Don't listen to the BS. Like I said, make your demands and wait for a call. Don't limit yourself to just the Air Force either, check all branches and see what they have to offer you.

There aren't many opportunities in the the job market right now with the economy. I dunno what more school will do for you, I'm curious what others think it could do?

Armed Forces is a great way to go.

Exactly...if you can put up with all the BS and don't mind deploying the military is a great choice and like j2048b said you will get a retirement check after serving 20 yrs of active duty and you will receive it the next month after you retire till the day you die....and the medical is pretty awesome. Good luck. :)

Join the navy and see the world...I did and it was awesome...I agree with the above if you're a career minded individual...officer is the only way to go

There are many ways to see the world but very few pay you to do it...

Join that's all I have to say.

I tried to join but my recruiter was a weirdo.

At the time I was 5'6 230lbs and he told me to I was way to heavy. I passed there bodyfat test and everything and he was still telling me to lose weight.

I was active and then went reserves... Remember reserves get sent alot more now than they use too! People use to join the reserves to get money for college, and then bounce... Active to me was better because u lived it everyday, RESERVES DO NOT, I REPEAT!! do not get access to thier retirement until age 60!!! ACTIVE DUTY AFTER 20 will draw a pension a month at the least after they retire!!! u can ASK FOR A GUARANTEED JOB, u can ask for a BOP, base of preference, u can request a job with a bonus, BUT MOST OF ALL: GET A JOB U WILL LIKE DOING IN THE SERVICE AS MUCH AS UD LIKE TO DO AS A CIVILIAN! Because when and if u get out its worth it to have a job u like!

I served in the air force and wished id had gone either:

Medical
Intelligence
Contracting

Because i have learned that those jobs offer the most opportunities to me anyways...

Reserves are 1 weekend a month and about 2-4 week training on top of that per summer,

Reserves will fill like "ah damn i gotta mis my kids bday this weekend because i have drill"

But active will do the same if ur in a high tempo job who goes to the sand box a lot during the year

DO NOT BECOME A CREW CHIEF OR ENGINE TROOP ON AIRCRAFT, unless u like doing those maintenance jobs? DO NOT BECOME A COP EITHER! U will not ever be home! Always gone for up to a year to 18 months a lot during ur enlistment if u enlist?

GO OFFICER AT ALL COSTS IF U CAN! I was gonna go back in when i got my degree, but said hell na im good!

Good luck... Make the best choices for u and ur future before they own u and make most pf then for u!

How do I go about finding an Officer Recruiter?

Sequestration is not going to last for too long. Don't listen to the BS. Like I said, make your demands and wait for a call. Don't limit yourself to just the Air Force either, check all branches and see what they have to offer you.

Fair enough. I feel funny about making demands to an organization I'm trying to be a part of. Maybe you could explain exactly what you mean?

There aren't many opportunities in the the job market right now with the economy. I dunno what more school will do for you, I'm curious what others think it could do?

Are you referring to something I said?

Exactly...if you can put up with all the BS and don't mind deploying the military is a great choice and like j2048b said you will get a retirement check after serving 20 yrs of active duty and you will receive it the next month after you retire till the day you die....and the medical is pretty awesome. Good luck. :)

Very good info, thanks man.

I was a officer in USAF pm me if you want. OTS grad too

Will do!

Join the navy and see the world...I did and it was awesome...I agree with the above if you're a career minded individual...officer is the only way to go

There are many ways to see the world but very few pay you to do it...

That's what I'm thinking.

Join that's all I have to say.

I tried to join but my recruiter was a weirdo.

At the time I was 5'6 230lbs and he told me to I was way to heavy. I passed there bodyfat test and everything and he was still telling me to lose weight.

I'm 6'1 and around 200lbs, I think I should pass that test anyhow, but that's some BS man, that sucks, I'm sorry.

Was referring to what 360 said about staying in school and don't do it.

Here is the truth coming from a prior recruiter.

You have all most zero ultimate decision making for job choice. It is ran off of quotas.

Basically they will pull your asvab score and physical find out everything you qual for. Then at that point they will find out what they need to fill. Then offer you those positions. It maybe only one job and thats your only option. If you refuse a contract which is your right to refuse, they may not give you another shot at a contract again due to you showing what is called being "job locked." Truth be told its all about numbers if you refuse a job the only way your going back up to join is if that district is hurting for numbers, or the Cheif Recruiter (master chief) is really nice. Our would never reauthorize for some one that refused a job unless our chief really kissed his ass.

Now there is also a chance that you will not even get a job when you go up there and get put on a stand by first come first serve list. Which i have seen people wait for up to a year right now. They will basically offer a recruiting station a few jobs and first guys ready to go get the job, but most of those jobs leave ASAP. Reason they become open is they kicked some one out of the program and they need to fill that seat in boot camp.

Telling this kid not to pick anything but intelligence and computers or what ever is stupid period. For all we know he may only qualify for mechanical jobs or administrative jobs. We had so many people demand computer tech jobs because there parents want them to have a computer job, but they score low on the asvab and are far from qualifiying for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Officer.. Telling him not to go enlisted but go officer is stupid as well sorry no offense, but it is extremely hard to become an officer. I worked with a guy that accumulated excessive debt trying to become a Naval Officer because his dad told him to go to school first and he ended up having to go enlisted, because he could not get picked up for the officer program.

Basically with out miltiary experience this is what officer recruiters look for a 3.7 gpa or above, degree must be applicable to the military, ie computer, engineering, medical. Business degrees for supply or admin officer are basically shut down. They are above quaotas for along time in those fields.

That is just to be qualified now we look at what seperates them, are they an athelete, team captian, have any leadership experience, volunteer work, community involvement, what recommendations. If you just get a 4.0 gpa and sit in your room playing WOW right now or lifting weights and thats all, you will not get picked up as an officer.

~~~~~~

I went enlisted and picked up E5 in 2.5 years and E-6 in 7 years. pay is great as an E-6 and now I am trying to get my commisioning as a reserve officer.. Got out at my 10 year mark due to my wife making WAY more money then I will in the military and got into farming.

Its a great choice, my advice is be humble dont over price your self. If you have a 75 or higher asvab you wont get a shit job but you may not get that intelligence job you may get a cypto or IT job or other technical job. If you score low, come to terms with what your capable of and get your foot in the door and fight for a job conversion later in your career or finish your degree for free and work on a commisioning with no debt.

One thing to consider Marines just canceled tutiion assistance which pays 100% of college while your in. You still get your GI bill so you can use that but they stopped TA for now. It may come back soon but for the time being its stopped. If you have any other questions I am out of recruiting now, but i have friends in high places in recruiting. Meaning cant get you a hook up but can get you the most current information and truth.

there is no gaurentee this would happen. I know many people with masters degrees applying for jobs making 26k a year in ca. and unemployed college grads is insane.

I served for 10 years walked out with most of my degree and a top secret clearance got offered many jobs paying 100+ k due to my clearance and experience. not because of my education. Didn't take them because i got out to stay local. However, I landed a network management job making great money, enough to put my wife through her masters with out working and have no debt. Also was able to save up enough money while I was deployed to put a downpayment on almonds and lease land to start farming.

I am now working towards my masters in computer science with ZERO debt to my name. Own a really nice home, my dream car, and have no worried about debt with exception of a mortgage and a low car payment.

Not saying the miltiary will gaurentee this, but i worked hard and utilitzed EVERY tool they provided me to help me become successful.

You can join the military and amount to a pile of shit still. The benefit is you have more oppurtinuty to be debt free and start off with great benefits. When it all comes down to it, its really the amount of hard work your ready to put in. civillian or military. But saying an education will get you everything is horrible. I do not regret the military and i beleive i owe it everything for my success so far. I know my job hired me because i was a vet over the other guys. That is what seperated all the people applying for my position and when i got hired is didnt even have my BS yet and they had masters. But i flat out told them I have 10 years of experience and I have fixed computers while being shot at. So if I can do that I can manage fixing computer with doctors yelling at me.

So there is a local recruiting office. Should I simply go there to get started or should I find someone to call or...?

So there is a local recruiting office. Should I simply go there to get started or should I find someone to call or...?

you mentioned you have your degree to me. Contact them and ask them for the officer recruiter phone number and give him a call to see if your competative. If not go talk to them and just go talk to each office.

Hit A Snag - Bummer

About 1 year ago, I was prescribed adderall by my PCP. He referred me to a psychologist who said I fit the criteria for ADD although that's not in my medical record, thank God. Anyhow, I saw a psych after that and he continued the prescription...the prescription is certainly in my medical history and I gather the AF is not going to gloss over that one.

Ironically, my academic performance was better BEFORE the adderall use...from January 2009-January 2011 my lowest grade was an A- and there were only two total A- out of 20 courses taken...since last year, the performance has been up and down. I haven't been using it as much lately because I have noticed that the difference between being on and off is manageable.

Unfortunately, from searching, I would have to go to my doctor right now, and >he< would have to determine that I don't need the script anymore and then I would have to be off of the drug for 1 year and show a satisfactory performance in school. I finished school already, so I would have to wait 2 years, which would mean I'd be 28 and unable to enlist anymore...also, if I had to wait 2 years, I'm almost certainly going to consider another option.

But yeah, damn...this sucks. Thanks for the help anyway guys. I wish there were some test I could take to show them that I don't need the drugs to be productive...something that wouldn't take 1-2 years! Bah. I went in a year ago to try to improve myself as a person and to fix a mental issue and now it bit me in the ass and took away something I thought I could really love.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131