advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T Dog owners, esp. German Shepherd owners!

JustWannaBeHuge

FOUNDING Member / Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I'm actually looking to get a German Shepherd, it's been a few years since I have owned one and I'm starting to look for a good breeder now.

Any tips on what to look for with regards to a good breeder? I'm not looking to have a show dog, just a working dog. Some of the working dogs I've been finding online are going anywhere from 600-2500. I don't really care about titles or anything, just want a dog that has a good temperment, healthy and can teach to play some games like I did with my old dog.

I had a GSD back in my teens and my 20s, I just love the breed.

there was one time when I was 17? or so, I had him at a fenced in school yard throwing the ball around for him to fetch and this guy in his 40s or so was drunk as shit came up to the fence, and talking crazy BS to me how he was going to take my dog and nonsense, I was just ignoring him cause I didn't wanna deal with it, then the ball rolled past me, i went to pick it up, dude raised his hand like he was about to hit me and my shepherd bolted towards us and jumped into the air, damn near bit the guys hand off. after that dude just talked about calling he cops because I had a dangerous animal lol

So guys, any tips?

My advice : go save one from a pound.

Bro I would adopt a military working dog. They may be a bit older but well trained and beautiful dogs. I had one and was the best one I ever had.

I had a beautiful white GSD when I was a kid he was the most intelligent dog I have ever owned. Anyways now I have Catahula leopard dogs-when I buy a dog from a breeder because I have kids I make sure the dogs were raised inside the home around people. I also look at the cleanliness of the home kennel ect. I ask to see the food they are being fed because more expensive food usually equals a breeder who cares not one just having pups for the dollars. I also ask for references and check the better business burea the BBB is not always a good indicator since most people buying a dog don't report a bad experience but if even one person does it is usually a no go for me. I found my male dogs breeder by attending a agility competition. I found my female through a family friend whom owns a large cattle ranch and uses catahulas for herding his bulls.

Im a doberman person myself:D. Short hair dogs are so much better inside the house.... But the german shepard is a great dog as well.

I grew up with German shepards in the house. 5 at any time. The breed is so smart and protective. Find a local breeder if you can, someone who breeds from home. I bought a German Shepard once from a pet shop and realized later through the vet that he had injuries that happened when he was a little pup prior to me purchasing him. Affected him mentally too. Crazy and aggressive dog.

Make sure the breeder you use has NOTHING to do with breeding for show, and truly loves the breed. This dog takes a hands on approach to training and raising. You have to know what you are doing. Make sure both parents are hip and knee certified.

You will need to spend an hour plus every day for the entire length of the dogs life working it out. Dogs require exercise for their mental health. Walking a dog is NOT exercise. You also need to know how to not OVERWORK them, especially in their first year of life. You need the proper living space with a lot of room for them, this is not a house pet.

A responsible dog owner should not need to spay or neuter their pet.

The German Shepard is perhaps the best companion you can have, but it is also one of the most demanding when it comes to training and care.

there are plenty GS rescues!

That said ive had pits, presas, GS, rots, dobies...only dog i wouldnt ever have around me and my family is a GS. My wife has a scar on her hand from one, ive got a nice scar on my arm from one. Im a pitbull fan for life...great dogs. The most unbalanced dog you can get is a GS in my opinion. Not the breeds fault...its human influence during the genetic makeup process.

Check this place out 1/2 wolf, 1/2 shepheard. I'm still doing a little more reading, but I think this might be my next dog.
**broken link removed**

Since owning a dog is such a long term commitment, i would do Plenty of research. I have always owned rotts and my last few i have actually found through, believe it or not, forums. I found dedicated rott forums and was quickly guided to what turned out to be the best dogs i have ever owned. Temperment looks coloring overall health were all better than thosed purchased from byb's and rescues. Also , dont let captainshit discourage your choice of breed. Reputable breeders will have dogs with traits the breed is known for. There is a reason they are considered one of the elite dogs for service work.

Make sure the breeder you use has NOTHING to do with breeding for show, and truly loves the breed.

A responsible dog owner should not need to spay or neuter their pet.

I agree with all except for the two opinions above. Don't be scared of people who breed for show. However, most are going to have more expensive dogs because of the title. Dogs that are not "show quality" can be had for a cheaper price. You want to stay away from "puppy mills". A puppy mill is a breeder who breeds every possible breed of dog and then some. They are 100% in it for the money.

There is nothing wrong with "fixing" a dog. Especially a female. If the dog is going to be an inside pet, you do not want a bloody female running around the house.

My wife and I had a German Shepherd/Great Dane mix we got eat the pound for $40, THE BEST DOG EVER. Smart and loyal like a shepherd but goofy and playful like a Dane. Our kids would jump on him and pull his whiskers, friends would let themselves in our door and T-Bone never growled at the wrong person or at the wrong time but he could turn into the scariest/meanest thing on 4 legs at a moments notice when he sensed he needed to keep my family or house safe. Shepherds are the greatest! the best ones never need a leash or be taught something twice, they want to be with the family, making them happy. I have seen some bad ones that cost a lot of money, I wish I knew what to look for in a breeder because I would have another one, sometimes I think you only get 1 great dog in your life and it's just pure luck how you get it and even what breed it is.

Sorry when all was said and done, I couldnt use the pictures.

The male and female are both trained for executive protection and they are the most large stable and affectionate dogs that would cost you about $7000 - 9000 each out of Serbia.
That same dog is going to cost you three times or more in the US.

Serbia has a number of breeders who have breeded dogs for 30 or more years. They have great blood lines, but most importantly, like others have eluded to, you want a dog that just doesnt show like a bad ass, but truly is one with a very balanced temperment.

They have em. You want a puppy? $750 + shipping. You want an obedient trained dog, maybe $2500 + shipping.

These dogs are going to give their lives for you, so the training becomes more of a luxury then a necessity. But paying a serbian to do basic obedience training is well worth it. Its a poor country. For $1000 more maybe have the ability to attack on leash on command.

Remember they are poor people, and so dont be stupid and assume you can pay 100% and not get taken advantage of. But hold back half as a final payment, and insist on videos ect and you should be able to get a great dog.

Shipping to US is going to be about $1500.

IPG

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear