advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T...job application...Good reason for the "contact previous employer" question?

waynaferd

Banned
O/T...job application...Good reason for the "contact previous employer" question?

On an application I'm filling out for a job I really want under all the previous places of employment it asks "May we contact? If no, explain why"

Now, I don't suppose saying my old boss was a douchebag so f**k him would be the way to go about it, but any advice on a "professional" way to put it?

My current boss is pretty cool no doubt, but the last one.....F him in the A, LOL!!

Thanks for any words of wisdom!!

A lot of companies stick to "name/rank/serial number" when contacted and respond only in writing.

If your former company is like that, you might not want to object. If you're not sure, you still might not want to object, but just explain the situation, since it is not uncommon and the hiring company probably would understand.

I have found that even former supervisors that are jerks are careful about what they say for fear of getting sued.

In my state, legally, old employers are only allowed to say weather they would hire you back, or not. Now, I'm sure they can convey the message VERY clearly just by tone of voice...

It's a tricky subject. If you say yes, go ahead and contact, you run the risk of a poor reference from your previous. If you say no, you make your potential employer wonder why you do not want them talking to your old boss, and what do you have to hide?

I usually go with no, and say because it's because I am still employed there, and I would not want to get fired for job hunting. Good luck.

In my humble opinion, I would say "yes" and then explain that you and your boss had personal differences and that a middle ground could not be met. Also I would explain that because of the personal differences, it was difficult to work in such a harsh environment therefor you took the high road and sought out other employment opportunities.

In my state, legally, old employers are only allowed to say weather they would hire you back, or not. Now, I'm sure they can convey the message VERY clearly just by tone of voice...

It's a tricky subject. If you say yes, go ahead and contact, you run the risk of a poor reference from your previous. If you say no, you make your potential employer wonder why you do not want them talking to your old boss, and what do you have to hide?

I usually go with no, and say because it's because I am still employed there, and I would not want to get fired for job hunting. Good luck.

I agree with this 100%. Generally the only reason to say no is if you left your job on legal issues that are protected with confidentiality clauses or if you're still working there.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131