over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T - The Obesity Crisis

humans basically crave 3 things, salt, fat and sugars, this is just the way it worked out through evolution, those are rarer flavors to find in nature and without processing and so we sought them out but werent ever able to obtain a great deal of foods which satisfied those cravings.. fast forward to today we are still programmed to crave and search out those things only now its available on every street corner we are literally surrounded by products which are salty, fatty and sugary. this fact coupled with an increasingly sedentary lifestyle is causing the obesity problem..

I definitely think all the processed foods are to blame, for not just juvenile obesity, but for a myriad of diseases.

When you look at all the preservatives and additives in processed foods, combined with the fact that they strategically advertise them when popular kids TV shows are on, it's no wonder things like juvenile obesity and ADHD etc, are an epidemic. :rolleyes:

People need to get back to the basics, and realize that food is just fuel.

My 2 cents.

-Pack

Last edited:
we all already are affected by obese people when it comes to the cost of health care. little things most people don't even think about

example: gurneys that tranport patients in ambulances and hospitals have to have a minimum weight rating. of course normal people don't weigh 500lb but that thats the standard rating. why? so the hostpital cant get sued by some obese 400 lb slob who breaks the bed. who do you think ultimately pays the bill for the manufacture of that gurney - we do, people who pay for monthly health care through insurance companies.

the ramp in ambulances for the gurney has to be rated at 1000lbs, metal isn't free, we flip the bill for fatties

according to forbes magazine, obese people cost 4 billion per year because they get sick more often and call in more
What Fat Costs America - Forbes.com

anyone who understand basic physics will agree, moving more mass takes more fuel - cars, busses, airlines, etc. fat people cost EVERYONE more

there are countless examples

Excellent points.

Like for example I come from an all Polish family and I found it interesting with the differences in sweetness in Polish cakes/pastries vs. American ones. American desserts or even basic foods are almost always sweeter no matter what it is.

I found it very funny how most Polish people say American cakes and etc are too sweet and then I remember my American co-worker that complained that Polish cakes/desserts are not sweet enough.
And I'm of German background and we've always said the exact same thing in my family. Relatives visiting from Germany also comment on the over-sweetness of American baked goods.

Also don't believe less activity has anything to do with it. I see two main reasons:
1. The gradual corn-ification of our food.
2. The lack of mom at home to cook meals from scratch.

So, whereas #1 has been ongoing since what, the late 1940's, it didn't cause immediate obesity problems because the impact was limited by cooked-from-scratch meals. That is, while corn fed beef was touted as the premium beef already in the 1950's, it only contributed to a rise in heart disease, but not overall obesity because there weren't many other corn based food items in the diet.

Since maybe about the late 70's to early 80's, cooking from scratch is out the window almost completely; the use of almost exclusively processed food has forced more corn into the diet resulting in obesity, diabetes, etc.

Well, at least that's my theory.

I HATE HATE HATE hearing all the excuses made about this. Like companies are at fault for providing what people want? lets demonize everything "bad" for you... when some us with some self control want to enjoy it once in a while...

The entire problem with just about everything in this country is the BLAME EVERYONE BUT ME model. No personal responsibility for anything.. just blame someone or anyone else.

Nobody is making you fat but yourself. And as far as the kids go.. we have alot of uneducated, unfit, terrible parents in this country.. and it's 100% their fault.

I HATE HATE HATE hearing all the excuses made about this. Like companies are at fault for providing what people want? lets demonize everything "bad" for you... when some us with some self control want to enjoy it once in a while...

The entire problem with just about everything in this country is the BLAME EVERYONE BUT ME model. No personal responsibility for anything.. just blame someone or anyone else.

Nobody is making you fat but yourself. And as far as the kids go.. we have alot of uneducated, unfit, terrible parents in this country.. and it's 100% their fault.

I hear you, but you know how hard its is these days to find food in stores without high fructose corn syrup. I mean I just noticed they added it to pickles. I mean pickles use to be a low carb food for me. I looked at every brand in the grocery store and they all had it in them accept Boars Head.

Since when are pickle suppose to have high fructose corn syrup. :mad:

the cause of the problem is American Laziness. I also think that the cost of food is another big issue that people dont realize. If you look at most americans, the majority of the lower class is severely overweight or obese. It is alot easier to feed your kids with Mac N Cheese and 99 cent burritos than it is to buy grilled chicken breast and rice and veggies (rice and veggies are relatively cheap but good cuts of meat sometimes are expensive compared to the crap that kids eat).

But laziness is the biggest factor. People "dont have time" to cook so they stop at Burger King. its pathetic

i work retail at the moment so i get to people watch alllll day long and it is really sad. I see 100+ lb. third graders everyday. Kid's are getting fatter and fatter and probably 60% of the people i see throughout the day are at least 20lbs overweight. Go to europe and look around....the UK is slooowly catching up but we are head and shoulders above the rest of the world in obesity.:banghead:

It makes me think of the movie "Wall E". Maybe someday that will become a reality! Great movie if some of you havent seen it.

Real life case study.

My wife's sister is over weight and her husband is morbidly obese. THey have one child that is adopted and the other they conceived. Both are just age 5 and 3 now so its too early to tell what is going to happen, but it should be interesting to see how the two girls turn out physically. SHould show somewhat the effect of nature versus nurture.

I hear you, but you know how hard its is these days to find food in stores without high fructose corn syrup. I mean I just noticed they added it to pickles. I mean pickles use to be a low carb food for me. I looked at every brand in the grocery store and they all had it in them accept Boars Head.

Since when are pickle suppose to have high fructose corn syrup. :mad:

I agree theres a lot of bad food in the big chain grocery stores.

But in my area there are 4-5 "whole food" stores within maybe 5 miles.. where you can find organic, non processed foods.. low sodium canned meats, etc..

Nobody gets obese overnight.. or in a week. It's a process that involves shoveling 10's of thousands of excess calories down your throat over a long period of time. If you sit back and never think to yourself.. maybe i need more exercise, maybe i need to eat less or eat better food.. you have nobody but yourself to blame.

I want that 4,000 calorie greasey burger meal available.. i want those sugary high fructose treats available.. because after a week of making wise eating decisions one or two of those are quite satisfying :D

You're welcome to disagree, that's your right, certainly.

I'm not interested in a debate.

I'm not looking for a debate, was just curious as to exactly what you meant. I think you're referring to people being diagnosed with an "addiction" when they rather have no self control whatsoever, is that along the lines? As it gives them a way out from actually saying I love to eat, shop, gamble etc? They can just say "I'm a diagnosed food addict, etc"

Is this what you were referring to? If so, I agree 100%.

People need to take responsibility for themselves. Everyone is looking for an excuse. I look around in people carts when I'm at the grocery store and they are always loaded to the gills with junk.

I don't really make much money, and even if I did I wouldn't spend it on that crap. When I'm broke, I lose weight, not gain it. Doesn't seem the right way, poor people should get skinny, not fat. Oh we can only afford junk and corn syrup food. Bullshit. If you are poor you can't afford to spend your money on crap like that. Beans, rice, and oats should be staples if you need to eat cheap, not mountain dew. When I'm especially broke I eat a lot of oatmeal. I might not really like it too much, but at least I know it's good for me.

That's another problem. People view food as some sort of pleasure source rather than what it really needs to be viewed as; fuel for your body. I can't remember the last time I've ever bought soda, chips, cookies, a cake, or anything like that unless it was for someone else such as I was going to a party or something.

Blaming it on parents once you are grown up is BS. I'm 32. One of my good (portly) friends is a couple years older. He has a super crappy diet. He's always trying to blame it on his parents or how he grew up. Guess what buddy, that was nearly 2 decades ago. You buy your own food now, you're responsible for yourself. You're a big boy, you can learn plenty of other things if you want to. You should be more than capable of picking up a book, getting on google, or getting advice from a trainer or nutritionist if you can't figure it out, just like you would in any other aspect of your life. I grew up with no shortage or restrictions on junk food at all. We ate sugar cereal, had twinkies in the lunch, and whatever little debbie creations on the counter when we got home. (still had nearly all home cooked meals though, and I think we may of been restricted on soda). Still from the time I started buying my own food, I never bought any of it. Just like people know right from wrong, you know good from bad when it comes to food. It really isn't rocket science.

Then of course video games, TV, and computers are a problem too. All we did when we were kids was ride our bicycles. In my neighborhood now I don't ever even see any kids outside at all.

I just don't understand how people can get up, look in the mirror, not be happy with themselves and then still sit there cracking open sodas and shoveling down cheeseburgers. I get more pleasure from being happy with what I see in the mirror, than I ever would from stuffing my piehole full of junk. Not to mention you just feel better in general when you aren't poisoning your body.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear