YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OAB - Over Active Bladder syndrome, anyone else have this?

rcorchid

Registered
So I've been dealing with this for the last 3 years or so. For anyone who doesn't know, it pretty much means what the acronym says. The bladder thinks it's full all the time but it's not, so I have to urinate a lot. I can't drink a few sips of something or eat without having to go, and the urge becomes very intense. It's difficult to hold it so I have to keep close to a bathroom. I may get up every hour at night to go pee, so I don't sleep much.

I've taken at least 5 or 6 meds for this and none of them have done anything for me. So the urologist suggested a couple procedures, and I think I'm going to do one. There is a procedure where they fish a catheter up the penis into the bladder that has a telescope and needle on it, and make about 20 injections of botox into the bladder. The theory is that it relaxes the nerves in the bladder decreasing the urge to go. The downside is that I may have the opposite problem - not being able to urinate and having to use a catheter for a period of time.

I know this is probably a long-shot, but has anyone done this before, or have this issue with OAB? The other solution is to live with it, which really sucks. The doc makes it sound like it works OK, but when I read online about it, it doesn't sound so promising.

I would imagine you have to go back for re-treatment every 4-6 months since botox wears off? That sounds terrible.

Prostate is OK? You cut out caffeine, soda, beer etc..?

So I've been dealing with this for the last 3 years or so. For anyone who doesn't know, it pretty much means what the acronym says. The bladder thinks it's full all the time but it's not, so I have to urinate a lot. I can't drink a few sips of something or eat without having to go, and the urge becomes very intense. It's difficult to hold it so I have to keep close to a bathroom. I may get up every hour at night to go pee, so I don't sleep much.

I've taken at least 5 or 6 meds for this and none of them have done anything for me. So the urologist suggested a couple procedures, and I think I'm going to do one. There is a procedure where they fish a catheter up the penis into the bladder that has a telescope and needle on it, and make about 20 injections of botox into the bladder. The theory is that it relaxes the nerves in the bladder decreasing the urge to go. The downside is that I may have the opposite problem - not being able to urinate and having to use a catheter for a period of time.

I know this is probably a long-shot, but has anyone done this before, or have this issue with OAB? The other solution is to live with it, which really sucks. The doc makes it sound like it works OK, but when I read online about it, it doesn't sound so promising.

if you've failed 5 meds and behavioral modification, you're def in need of third line therapy.

I'd recommend trial of Interstim first. Helps a great deal of people, and little risk of urinary retention as with botox. And yes, Botox requires re-treatment every 4-6 months. You can get years of battery life with Interstim.

Interstim trial is also easy - you'll know within a week of the 1st stage if it works. If it doesn't, they pull the leads out and you're done, and could then do Botox.

Have you done a Ultrasound on your Bladder ?
If not, you should have one done.

I was having a similar problem (not as bad) for years.
And finally had an Ultrasound of my Liver/Kidneys/and Bladder.
Turns out I have a Diverticulated Bladder, which is an Outpouching of the Bladder, and this makes it difficult to empty the bladder completely.

The thinking is that it happened in my 20's, when I had several Urinary Tract Infections, and a Kidney Infection...................... JP
P.S.
Those Shots into the Bladder sound like Pure Hell ~ Best of Luck !

if you've failed 5 meds and behavioral modification, you're def in need of third line therapy.

I'd recommend trial of Interstim first. Helps a great deal of people, and little risk of urinary retention as with botox. And yes, Botox requires re-treatment every 4-6 months. You can get years of battery life with Interstim.

Interstim trial is also easy - you'll know within a week of the 1st stage if it works. If it doesn't, they pull the leads out and you're done, and could then do Botox.

That's good point. That option was provided to me also. I guess we just decided to do the opposite - if the botox doesn't work out I can try the interstim. That just seemed like a lot more trouble to me.

Have you done a Ultrasound on your Bladder ?
If not, you should have one done.

I was having a similar problem (not as bad) for years.
And finally had an Ultrasound of my Liver/Kidneys/and Bladder.
Turns out I have a Diverticulated Bladder, which is an Outpouching of the Bladder, and this makes it difficult to empty the bladder completely.

The thinking is that it happened in my 20's, when I had several Urinary Tract Infections, and a Kidney Infection...................... JP
P.S.
Those Shots into the Bladder sound like Pure Hell ~ Best of Luck !

I have had the ultrasound, was negative for any anomalies. Although x-ray showed i have a huge stone in the middle of my left kidney, apparently has been there for years lol.

That's good point. That option was provided to me also. I guess we just decided to do the opposite - if the botox doesn't work out I can try the interstim. That just seemed like a lot more trouble to me.

So Botox relaxes the muscles essentially. I hope it works. I take tadalifil for this. My prostate isn’t the best. My dad has prostate cancer so i have to be careful.

Efficacy of Daily Low-dose Tadalafil for Treating Overactive Bladder: Results of a Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial.
Randomized controlled trial
Chen H, et al. Urology. 2017.
Show full citation
Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy of daily low-dose tadalafil therapy for overactive bladder (OAB) in women.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: A total of 96 women with idiopathic OAB from 3 medical centers in the south of Zhejiang Province of China were randomly assigned to treatment with daily low-dose tadalafil (5 mg, n = 48) or placebo (n = 48) for 3 months. The Indevus Urgency Severity Scale, overactive bladder symptom score (Homma et al, 2006), and a 3-day micturition diary with frequency, incontinence, and urgency episodes were recorded and compared before the treatment, every 2 weeks following the treatment, and 3 months after the treatment. Uroflowmetry and transabdominal ultrasound were also conducted following the treatment to determine the maximum flow rate, voided volume, postvoid residual volume, total bladder capacity, and voiding efficiency. The patient's overall rating of improvement in symptoms was assessed as well.

RESULTS: The overactive bladder symptom score significantly decreased, and the frequency, incontinence, and urgency episodes significantly improved in the tadalafil treatment group as compared with the placebo group and baselines at weeks 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12, as well as 3 months posttreatment (P <.05). In addition, voided volume and total bladder capacity obviously increased in the treatment group (P <.05). The Indevus Urgency Severity Scale decreased from week 4 to 3 months posttreatment in the treatment group (P <.05). No changes were found in the maximum flow rate, postvoid residual volume, and voiding efficiency. All adverse symptoms were mild to moderate.

CONCLUSION: Daily low-dose tadalafil is a considerable, well-tolerated, and effective treatment for OAB in women.

So Botox relaxes the muscles essentially. I hope it works. I take tadalifil for this. My prostate isn’t the best. My dad has prostate cancer so i have to be careful.

Efficacy of Daily Low-dose Tadalafil for Treating Overactive Bladder: Results of a Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial.
Randomized controlled trial
Chen H, et al. Urology. 2017.
Show full citation
Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy of daily low-dose tadalafil therapy for overactive bladder (OAB) in women.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: A total of 96 women with idiopathic OAB from 3 medical centers in the south of Zhejiang Province of China were randomly assigned to treatment with daily low-dose tadalafil (5 mg, n = 48) or placebo (n = 48) for 3 months. The Indevus Urgency Severity Scale, overactive bladder symptom score (Homma et al, 2006), and a 3-day micturition diary with frequency, incontinence, and urgency episodes were recorded and compared before the treatment, every 2 weeks following the treatment, and 3 months after the treatment. Uroflowmetry and transabdominal ultrasound were also conducted following the treatment to determine the maximum flow rate, voided volume, postvoid residual volume, total bladder capacity, and voiding efficiency. The patient's overall rating of improvement in symptoms was assessed as well.

RESULTS: The overactive bladder symptom score significantly decreased, and the frequency, incontinence, and urgency episodes significantly improved in the tadalafil treatment group as compared with the placebo group and baselines at weeks 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12, as well as 3 months posttreatment (P <.05). In addition, voided volume and total bladder capacity obviously increased in the treatment group (P <.05). The Indevus Urgency Severity Scale decreased from week 4 to 3 months posttreatment in the treatment group (P <.05). No changes were found in the maximum flow rate, postvoid residual volume, and voiding efficiency. All adverse symptoms were mild to moderate.

CONCLUSION: Daily low-dose tadalafil is a considerable, well-tolerated, and effective treatment for OAB in women.
Thanks for posting this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Professional Muscle mobile app

yeah, def recommend interstim first. you'll know within a few days if it helped or not, and the first stage is just a temporary "lead test". not a huge deal.

Did you have urodynamics proving you have OAB? cystoscopy as well?

yeah, def recommend interstim first. you'll know within a few days if it helped or not, and the first stage is just a temporary "lead test". not a huge deal.

Did you have urodynamics proving you have OAB? cystoscopy as well?

There was no cytoscopy. Went to the urologist (there's really only 1 man group in town), gave them my symptoms, did prostate check, scan, x-rays, and that's how they diagnosed me. This was several years ago and based on what I've read online I really don't doubt that that is what it is, but we all know mistakes are made all the time.

There was no cytoscopy. Went to the urologist (there's really only 1 man group in town), gave them my symptoms, did prostate check, scan, x-rays, and that's how they diagnosed me. This was several years ago and based on what I've read online I really don't doubt that that is what it is, but we all know mistakes are made all the time.

yeah man, i'd definitely want urodynamics + cysto done before jumping to third line OAB therapy.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131