over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Off-Topic: Anyone in HR or Recruiting?

Zarati

Registered
When hiring, can you find if someones being truthful about timelines at a company ? like 2 - 3 months off. For example, I worked for a company for 10 months, but I'd like to have 12 months on my resume

Please don't be one of those SAINTS who has never committed a SIN and is all about doing the right things in life, so don't give me any of that shit lol. just say if it gets caught or not

Last edited:
They usually just go by what you put down on the paper. I work at a staffing firm. recruiters will confirm with you the dates you worked but they aren't trying to catch you in a lie. they also don't spend a lot of time nailing down the exact dates you worked at places.

they are way too busy trying to figure out if you have the right skills and experience, years of experience doesn't matter as much anymore so not as much time is spent verifying employment history.

You can probably completely lie and have a good shot at getting away with it at first, but lies always come out in the end

I'm in IT and have also worked in healthcare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

When hiring, can you find if someones being truthful about timelines at a company ? like 2 - 3 months off. For example, I worked for a company for 10 months, but I'd like to have 12 months on my resume

Please don't be one of those SAINTS who has never committed a SIN and is all about doing the right things in life, so don't give me any of that shit lol. just say if it gets caught or not

Bro, I lie about this kinda stuff, people do ALL the time.

I will say this - if it's through a RECRUITER, some kind of agency, trust me, they want to the fill the position. If they are doing most of the leg work for the company they are hiring for, they don't give 2 shits if you are lying, they want to fill the spot and get paid. This is your best bet for getting a job when lying on a resume.

If you go directly through the company, they will more likely call and verify employment dates based on how large of an organization they are. The smaller the company, the less likely they'll actually call and verify stuff. If you recently QUIT a job, or got fired, laid off, I always just say I'm still working there when applying for new jobs, that way I can request that they NOT call because they are still my current employer. Also it never looks good on a resume for you to be currently unemployed, many HR people will look at that on your resume and immediately disqualify you based on you not having a job. It's vicious out there.

Most companies will call previous employer to verify employment timeline and ask if they are eligible for rehire. Those are the two pieces of information given.

The thing is it's not a sin but it's no benefit. I hire a lot of people and in the recruiters notes I guarantee they'd tell me "we verified employment and it's two months off what the resume said". If you are a good candidate I wouldn't really care i'd just think "there is really no reason to fudge that".

Yea going through a buddy who is a recruiter, IT field. He straight up told me exaggerate about the dates lol

It depends on the future employer. I work in HR for a background check company and most large organizations will do employment verifications. This means we reach out to the previous company and they either fax or email an employment verification form that will show:
Dates Employed
Title Held
Reason for Leaving(state dependent)
Eligibility for Rehire
Compensation(state dependent)

If you want to fudge and still pass, then easiest way is as follow:
Say you worked with company from February 10 to December 21. You could put you started January 29th and left January 4th. The dates are close enough that it may or may not trigger a flag depending on the company requirements, but after manual review, they would let it pass.
However, honesty is always appreciated, 2 months of no work isn't a lot in the scheme of things.

Yea going through a buddy who is a recruiter, IT field. He straight up told me exaggerate about the dates lol

Yeah going through a recruiter they aren't going to say shit. You'll be fine. Honestly I've lied about being somewhere for an entire YEAR because I took time off and focused on training and stuff. But I sure as fuck wasn't going to TELL them that, lol.

Yeah going through a recruiter they aren't going to say shit. You'll be fine. Honestly I've lied about being somewhere for an entire YEAR because I took time off and focused on training and stuff. But I sure as fuck wasn't going to TELL them that, lol.

The recruiting agency doesn't make the call. They'll fudge resumes all day, but if the company who makes you the offer does employment verification then you need to be careful.
If it's a contracting job through the recruiting agency then you have no worries.

I am a recruiter and have been for the last 7 years. I have candidates that exaggerate their resume all the time. Also like someone said at the end of the day I am just trying to get that candidate a job so I can get paid and really dont care if a candidate tweaks their resume to read better as long as it is not over the top. As far as your question around 10 months and making it read 12 months the recruiter will not care as they want you to get the job. However if the client does run a background check and that pops up it could be a red flag. Most likely you will not have to put out that fire as it will be on the recruiter to talk to the client and fix the situation. I am not sure what job you are going for but from my experience a client is not really going to care if it is a 10 month or 12 month job, pretty much going to be the same in their eyes. If I was working with you a candidate I would probably just tell you to keep it at 10 months and then the rest would fall on me to convince the client to interview or hire you. At the end of the day if you change it to 12 months it might not be an issue but if they do find out and decide to take it "personally" you might be back peddling and trying to dig yourself out of a hole. Good luck!

What if you applied through Amazon for example, directly. Would you post a more accurate resume?

There are so many IT jobs out there tho

Last edited:
All it takes is one call to your previous employer, but will they do it? Chances are no unless their hiring process is very strict.

I always fluffed my resume..

Last edited:
What if you applied through Amazon for example, directly. Would you post a more accurate resume?

There are so many IT jobs out there tho

It's never burned me, recruiter or direct hire. Your "fudging" is pretty moderate too, I've gotten away with worse. Now, if you want to go fake something serious like a degree, I would say probably not. But a couple months here and there on your employment history, who cares. Just make sure it all adds up on LinkedIn. They can easily go look at your LinkedIn profile and if it's totally different, that's the fastest way to get your resume thrown in the garbage.

My girlfriend recently ran into an issue with this...she put "2012-2014" by accident instead of 2011 for a retail job she worked part-time while in school. The hiring company made a pretty big deal about it after calling and finding out that wasn't necessarily the case, and asked her for paystubs proving it.

She explained it was just a typo and it all worked out in the end, but if she'd lied about anything she wouldn't be working at her current company right now.

My girlfriend recently ran into an issue with this...she put "2012-2014" by accident instead of 2011 for a retail job she worked part-time while in school. The hiring company made a pretty big deal about it after calling and finding out that wasn't necessarily the case, and asked her for paystubs proving it.

She explained it was just a typo and it all worked out in the end, but if she'd lied about anything she wouldn't be working at her current company right now.

I would call this a case of serious unluckiness. I work in IT and routinely change jobs every 2 years or so, as many people in the industry do. I've never been screwed over by this, but to your point - yes, it can happen.

I'm even more surprised the employer called a RETAIL job, though.

Not something that I recommend but I have a friend who barely graduated high school and forged a degree from a pretty prestigious university and got hired by a fortune five hundred company 8 years ago and he is still there. I wonder what would happen if he ever gets caught and I'm sure he worries about it constantly. So I guess I wouldn't worry about a two month fudge too much.

Not something that I recommend but I have a friend who barely graduated high school and forged a degree from a pretty prestigious university and got hired by a fortune five hundred company 8 years ago and he is still there. I wonder what would happen if he ever gets caught and I'm sure he worries about it constantly. So I guess I wouldn't worry about a two month fudge too much.

He's in... He's already got the experience, even if they fire him, he can find a job easily. When you get fired, the company won't tell anyone you got fired. like mentioned, if you call HR, they only tell you timeline and role. Now if the company goes after him trying to charge him for fraud then he's fucked

I would call this a case of serious unluckiness. I work in IT and routinely change jobs every 2 years or so, as many people in the industry do. I've never been screwed over by this, but to your point - yes, it can happen.

I'm even more surprised the employer called a RETAIL job, though.

Maybe she works for a government agency, but youre right. IT is very fast paced and people job hob a lot, just due to the nature of technology. It grows fast and people need to keep up with their skills, maybe that's why we can get away in IT.

I had a friend fired recently over this. Started at new company before he quit the old one. Just one day. When they confirmed after he started, they found out, and fired him. Just crazy. I never put the exact day, just the month and year of when I was at company and never got grief over it.

I have been working as a recruiter for the last 12 years. If a position requires a degree…don't like about it. As far as dates on your resume, don't worry about being exact. If you worked at a company for 2 months and it was 10 years ago…..who cares? Leave it off.

If you have gaps up and down your resume….you better be ready to explain why you are a job hopper.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws