YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Off topic: Love/hate relationship with tools.

JETHRO TULL

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Verified Custo
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I am not particularly handy at fixing stuff. Cars, dry wall, electrical issues, the damn dishwasher. 😡😁. The thing is, my dad was GREAT at all that stuff. I guess what I want to share is the following- I am a rural, outdoor, fishing, hunting, Montana person. I lived on a ranch when I was younger. We always had crap to work on. (Example: the bailer needs a new shear pin and the twine isn’t making bales of hay) We have wood heat at my Mom’s house, so I use a chain saw. Once in a while the chain gets loose and you have to mess around and fix it. You have to use tools. I use simple tools like and axe often, to split wood. Don’t know get me wrong, I will load woood like a mother focker...I don’t mind hard work, I just suck at all that mechanical shit. That being said, I need and use tools all the damn time!!!! I carry this in my pocket daily because it seems like I ALWAYS need it. 😜

Attachments

• C27C9D62-F118-4BC1-A464-31D9AD9796F5.jpeg
    C27C9D62-F118-4BC1-A464-31D9AD9796F5.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 302
I too Own a Bunch of Equipment, Trucks, Bobcat, trailers, a Harley, Quad A Hodrod and Boat. Plus A Giant House with a pool and a Gratto on an acre !
I have A great set Of Tools as Well.
Problem is I have 10 thumbs!!!!
I feel your Pain.

Yes!

I too Own a Bunch of Equipment, Trucks, Bobcat, trailers, a Harley, Quad A Hodrod and Boat. Plus A Giant House with a pool and a Gratto on an acre !
I have A great set Of Tools as Well.
Problem is I have 10 thumbs!!!!
I feel your Pain.

When I pay someone to come to the house and fix stuff, it pisses me off. Prideful loser! Hahahaha

Honestly I think it's just one of those things that you kind of develop as a child because my brother has never been very good with tools but was always better at Art than I was. Incredible sketch artist and painter and I was mediocre at best. But when it came to anything mechanically inclined even though I was significantly younger he would turn to me for help because he knew I could just take things apart and put them back together and figure it out and possibly improve up on it. And I still remember being 9 years old and rewiring my Hess truck so I think early exposure is possibly one cause. Another could also be that right left brain connection who knows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Professional Muscle mobile app

Yeah, you are probably right.😃

Honestly I think it's just one of those things that you kind of develop as a child because my brother has never been very good with tools but was always better at Art than I was. Incredible sketch artist and painter and I was mediocre at best. But when it came to anything mechanically inclined even though I was significantly younger he would turn to me for help because he knew I could just take things apart and put them back together and figure it out and possibly improve up on it. And I still remember being 9 years old and rewiring my Hess truck so I think early exposure is possibly one cause. Another could also be that right left brain connection who knows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Professional Muscle mobile app

It is an aptitude situation. I know I am always impressed when I see guys on here that talk about recipes and show pictures of the food they make. The stuff I make is super basic and barely edible. Lol.

As far as mechanical stuff goes....I don’t even change the oil I’m my truck. I have done it by myself about 4 times. I just have someone else do it. Pretty pathetic. 😟

Years ago I had an old snow blower, a big sucker. It got to the point where it wouldn't start so I began taking it apart to look for the "obvious" problem. This with no mechanical or engine knowledge at all. After getting to the point where I said to myself I won't be able to get it back together if I keep going I put it back together without finding anything wrong. It started right up and I got another winter out of it.
That is my peak right there.......lol

👍 Sounds familiar!

Years ago I had an old snow blower, a big sucker. It got to the point where it wouldn't start so I began taking it apart to look for the "obvious" problem. This with no mechanical or engine knowledge at all. After getting to the point where I said to myself I won't be able to get it back together if I keep going I put it back together without finding anything wrong. It started right up and I got another winter out of it.
That is my peak right there.......lol

I wish I would have paid more attention when my dad was working on things because now I have to fix things and it is like reinventing the wheel. I have all the tools and some general ability, but I am not going to be fixing a snow blower!😁. Nothing is ever “obvious” with me either.

My grandfather was a CEO at a tool company years ago. He's long been passed but his workshop has remained in the family property for years and years and years untouched. I remember even as a little boy thinking the tools were old and that was 38 years ago!
He also grew up on a farm and collected and used vintage tools. He had power tools and more modern equipment but he also collected and restored old tools and machines so it was also a little love hate for him.
I don't think anyone has laid eyes in that shop in 15 years. I can not fathom the value of its contents.

Last edited:
I was always curious and taking stuff apart and putting it back together. It just seemed to click for me. I remember replacing the head gasket on my dad's car at 15 years old. He told me I couldn't do it, but he couldn't afford the mechanics bill. I told him let me try....or just let the car sit...he wasn't gaining or losing anything.

I remember working on it everyday after school. Took me about a week...but all I had was time and the cost of a new head gasket.

I can still remember the look on his face when I gave him the keys, and it started up on the first try. It lasted him another few years.

The only downside is that I get called with everyone's problems now. Once people found out what I could do...its nonstop. Case in point is that I'm an electrical engineer. But I will have people that know I can work on electronic devices hit me up all the time. The thing is that I can't say no.

I would rather do something to help then watch someone else take advantage of them....especially older people.

Now don't get me wrong.....I've blown up some perfectly good shit in my time, but I can pretty much tackle anything.....except for woodworking.

I'm the guy that will cut you a circle with a skill saw when you wanted a straight line.

So I leave the carpentry stuff to my father-in-law and brother-in-law.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

For me, it's not just the tools, but it's the tools that are required to fix the tools...and clean the tools. Everything requires some deeper capital investment to have a genuine operation. Then you get into all the psycho-specialty catalogs: oodles of stuff to "need."

When I pay someone to come to the house and fix stuff, it pisses me off. Prideful loser! Hahahaha

Luckily I have some suburban Hillbilly neighbors..These guys can Fix anything.

Downside is I build there decks and driveways at Cost $

My grandpa had junk cars out in a field.

My grandfather was a CEO at a tool company years ago. He's long been passed but his workshop has remained in the family property for years and years and years untouched. I remember even as a little boy thinking the tools were old and that was 38 years ago!
He also grew up on a farm and collected and used vintage tools. He had power tools and more modern equipment but he also collected and restored old tools and machines so it was also a little love hate for him.
I don't think anyone has laid eyes in that shop in 15 years. I can not fathom the value of its contents.

I mean a BUNCH of cars. Probably 75 old trucks and cars. In your mind picture old 1955 chevys. Parts in the trunk, parts in the barn, vehicles parked in the fields, among the willows. He was always welding and working on things. So, there again, all the women in our family are used to guys who can fix anything! Not so much with me. Lol. Oh, I give it a shot, but....😜

Yep, you sound like my dad.

I was always curious and taking stuff apart and putting it back together. It just seemed to click for me. I remember replacing the head gasket on my dad's car at 15 years old. He told me I couldn't do it, but he couldn't afford the mechanics bill. I told him let me try....or just let the car sit...he wasn't gaining or losing anything.

I remember working on it everyday after school. Took me about a week...but all I had was time and the cost of a new head gasket.

I can still remember the look on his face when I gave him the keys, and it started up on the first try. It lasted him another few years.

The only downside is that I get called with everyone's problems now. Once people found out what I could do...its nonstop. Case in point is that I'm an electrical engineer. But I will have people that know I can work on electronic devices hit me up all the time. The thing is that I can't say no.

I would rather do something to help then watch someone else take advantage of them....especially older people.

Now don't get me wrong.....I've blown up some perfectly good shit in my time, but I can pretty much tackle anything.....except for woodworking.

I'm the guy that will cut you a circle with a skill saw when you wanted a straight line.

So I leave the carpentry stuff to my father-in-law and brother-in-law.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

He said the same thing- “Even as a little kid I liked taking things apart and putting them back together.” Guys like you are good to have around, Rmtt. I had a brand new microwave oven in our spare room that I never installed for about five years, because I was afraid that I would electrocute myself! Brand new.
Meredith was always gone at school, and I just never got around to it. Finally, she called some guy and he installed it.
I am equally at shitty at carpentry. Although I did help frame our house!

True.

For me, it's not just the tools, but it's the tools that are required to fix the tools...and clean the tools. Everything requires some deeper capital investment to have a genuine operation. Then you get into all the psycho-specialty catalogs: oodles of stuff to "need."

Then you need room not only for the tools, but also all the crap to maintain all the tools and equipment. The only time I deviate from my lack of interest in mechanical endeavors is with guns. I have all the things needed to clean and take care of those. 😁

You would crack up if you were around me much.

Luckily I have some suburban Hillbilly neighbors..These guys can Fix anything.

Downside is I build there decks and driveways at Cost $

Most of my friends that had to help me build my house/gym are all guys like you! (Well, not Big and lean, but career builders) My friend JL is a plumber, who has a ton of nice toys and makes great money. He did the plumbing for our house and saved me a LOT of money. My friend Mike is an electrician....same thing. The list goes on! 😁👍 Everyone who helped build my house were friends that were good at things. I was the guy who made the LEAST amount of money! But....I know the scientific name for the fruit fly! Teaching! I guess I had the summers off, so I had freedom. 🤣

I have a degree in Business Management, realized i couldn't sit in an office so i went back to construction. But i am going back to school again to finish my BS in Civil Engineering.

I would consider myself a jack of all trades and master of none, that is what makes me a good Commercial Construction Superintendent, i do none of the physical work anymore unless I'm bored and I'm only 33.

So i hire the guys like Concreter and then ride their ass all day to make sure they don't fuck my schedule!!:D:D

NO, Im not really like that, i find there are 2 ways to get through to construction guys to get a job done well and fast. 1) Fuckin lose it on them until its done. 2) Coddle them and give them respect and tell them a time/deadline. Just have to be quick to figure out who you are dealing with!!

Anyway, i freakin love tools, i am a Milwaukee guy all the way, was dewalt years back, then makita, and now only Milwaukee!

I wanted to be a game warden!

I have a degree in Business Management, realized i couldn't sit in an office so i went back to construction. But i am going back to school again to finish my BS in Civil Engineering.

I would consider myself a jack of all trades and master of none, that is what makes me a good Commercial Construction Superintendent, i do none of the physical work anymore unless I'm bored and I'm only 33.

So i hire the guys like Concreter and then ride their ass all day to make sure they don't fuck my schedule!!:D:D

NO, Im not really like that, i find there are 2 ways to get through to construction guys to get a job done well and fast. 1) Fuckin lose it on them until its done. 2) Coddle them and give them respect and tell them a time/deadline. Just have to be quick to figure out who you are dealing with!!

Anyway, i freakin love tools, i am a Milwaukee guy all the way, was dewalt years back, then makita, and now only Milwaukee!

So I got the biology degree. I liked being outside, just like you. Then I ended up teaching, but I dicked off out in the woods all summer, so it was okay. The tools my dad bought were mostly from Snap-On tool guy. You know that big van full of tools those guys drive around? Yeah, well, I saw that tool truck often when I was growing up!
I was my own general contractor....and holy shit...I learned a LOT. The thing is, my house took longer to get things done because I knew most of the guys working on it! Lol! So, I had to be cool to those guys😁

I could see how your job might get stressful with construction deadlines.

No need to ride My Ass...The faster and more efficient I get the Job Done the More $$$ I make...You Think ?

I Built My house from the ground up in 8 mnths. From 720 sqft to 6550.
All the Best of the Best! While still pouring Concrete,
Just need A driveway now....Know anybody?
All Stamped for 12000$ my cost!

Attachments

• front of house.JPG
    front of house.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
And A Gazebo for the Back.

Attachments

• backtard.jpg
    backtard.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 203
No need to ride My Ass...The faster and more efficient I get the Job Done the More $$$ I make...You Think ?

I Built My house from the ground up in 8 mnths. From 720 sqft to 6550.
All the Best of the Best! While still pouring Concrete,
Just need A driveway now....Know anybody?
All Stamped for 12000$ my cost!

you can teach a monkey to "pour concrete"....

just sayin...

:cool:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner