YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Off Topic: Thinking about moving to europe.

Tman2002

Registered
Thinking about moving to europe possible amsterdam. Getting really tired of my living situation here. I dont have kids and I'm still in my 20's. I was thinking I could get a job at a gym pretty easy, but I'm not sure how things work there.

Can I just get a job or do I need a greencard or something?

Also wondering what the gear situation is in amsterdam.

I've got about 5k in the bank so it would be easy to just go.

My girl and i are actually planning a trip there soon. Sorry i can't give any useful info, but good luck on your journey bro!

I just had a friend move to Berlin, he said it's surprisingly cheap by european standards, and Germany is much more stable right now than a lot of other countries because they are almost single handily carrying the EU.

You have 5k in the bank and it would be easy to just go? Have you looked into the price of an airline ticket? Where would you be flying from? I went to Italy in 2006 and my ticket was close to 2k, so there is 40% of what you have. But, you might be able to find it cheaper, but probably not under a thousand from the US. Then you have to look into your living situation, you'll be spending a lot of money on food as you will be eating out a lot until you get settled in. Just things to think about

My advice is to explore several places first. Take a tour for a few months in the summer, then the same places a few months in the winter, and leave all options open. Then choose.

I had a career that I was good at, a house etc., but no family or kids.

After some thought, I came in one day to work and handed in my resignation letter. I left a week later and that was 6 years ago. I had been to my (now) country of residence a dozen times, had friends and a girlfriend here. So it was a no brainer.

I like it here. It was a great decision. But think about it first. That career I had is a memory and it's hard to start over. So there's a cost. Be sure what you're looking for and go to a place that has it. Don't look back, and don't expect the same things as home, and you'll be happy.

Yes, you'll need a work permit. PM me if you have any questions.

I would listen to Ehren. Explore more options and countries. Germany is expensive as fuck. Dont go there. Even berlin is expensive. You dont even come close to the standard of living as you do in the US, unless you are used to living in high price regions like Manhattan or Los Angeles.

Italy is fun, but in terms of career? no idea. I think its a little hard getting your foot on the ground if you dont speak the countries language.

I agree also that 5 K is not much to start a new life. Sure, people have started new lives with far less, but to be on the safe side I would go with double that. Plane tickets, by the way, are easily found for roughly 700 dollars. Just dont book one-way tickets or travel during peak vacation times like summer etc.

europe

Found a ticket to amsterdam for $340 taxes and fees not included. I'm trying to be realistic about the whole thing and would go job searching right away.

On the one hand this idea kinda sounds little unrealistic pipe dream and on the other I've lived on next to nothing my whole life. I've got great people skills and have always been able to get a job and make good connections.

europe

Now theres one online for $266 buck round trip...I would probably just take a vacation and if I didnt want to come back I just wouldnt lol.

On the one hand this idea kinda sounds little unrealistic pipe dream and on the other I've lived on next to nothing my whole life. I've got great people skills and have always been able to get a job and make good connections.

Don't let it stop you, Bro. Got a feeling with some valid thought to it? Think it through and go, if the feeling remains. Enjoy it. If it sucks, come home or look for another place.

Couple things I've learned:
Everything that exists, everything that was ever made, invented or done by a person, started as a thought.

It's valid. That's how great things begin.

And.
As we get older, the things we regret the most are things we didn't do.

Good point....

I would listen to Ehren. Explore more options and countries. Germany is expensive as fuck. Dont go there. Even berlin is expensive. You dont even come close to the standard of living as you do in the US, unless you are used to living in high price regions like Manhattan or Los Angeles.

Italy is fun, but in terms of career? no idea. I think its a little hard getting your foot on the ground if you dont speak the countries language.

I agree also that 5 K is not much to start a new life. Sure, people have started new lives with far less, but to be on the safe side I would go with double that. Plane tickets, by the way, are easily found for roughly 700 dollars. Just dont book one-way tickets or travel during peak vacation times like summer etc.

1) look at the stability of country... yes, a place might be fun, but poor as anything

2) look at what kind of career you can get and just "valuable" you are... a company MIGHT have to sponsor you if you stay long and need a visa, those can be expensive

3) be ready for "plan B"... if things don't work out there, you will need enough money to come back and stay afloat while searching again.

4) find out what "rights" you have as a foreigner (legal, medical, insurance, etc)

5) Ask yourself, HONESTLY, why you want to go oversea's... no job here? "escaping"?, etc. point is... if something is troubling you here, eventually, it will trouble you there too... the old saying, "No matter where you go, there you are"

Not downplaying the move... I may do the same in 10 years, but for early retirement, VERY early, I'm not old by any means :D

Oh- I forgot... one reason why one poster may have asked about if you have a degree or not is that you may be able to find a job teaching English overseas... I have a couple friends who do that, actually VERY good pay (and I THINK they provide housing or a housing allowance on top of it)

Last edited:
Yes I do.

Have you thought about teaching abroad? Find a job in Korea or China that pays 2000 USD a month . . . you'll have three months out of the year to go and vacation wherever the hell you want. It's an awesome life.

Only way u can stay legal in europe longer then six month would be if u got college degree and study something there.

I am form germany i moved to USA 5 years ago. i can tell you in germany u can not make a living from working at a gym.

if u move to a big city u may dont need a car if u do want a car gas is about 8 dollar for gallon.

There is no free refill for any dirnks at any restaurant and the small size cup at mc donalds is the large size there :):)

cloth cost way more in europe jeans like levis u may pay almost 100 euro thats over 100 dollar.

never been to amsterdam and i am not much of a pot head either so no need for me to go there i heard its crazy.

Spain or Italy would be ok i guess. Good food. cheaper to live. Girls pretty. etc...

Thinking about moving to europe possible amsterdam. Getting really tired of my living situation here. I dont have kids and I'm still in my 20's. I was thinking I could get a job at a gym pretty easy, but I'm not sure how things work there.

Can I just get a job or do I need a greencard or something?

Also wondering what the gear situation is in amsterdam.

I've got about 5k in the bank so it would be easy to just go.

just google "americans living in holland"
plenty of useful information
exemple: Relocation and Immigration Tips

good luck bro!

Only way u can stay legal in europe longer then six month would be if u got college degree and study something there.

I am form germany i moved to USA 5 years ago. i can tell you in germany u can not make a living from working at a gym.

if u move to a big city u may dont need a car if u do want a car gas is about 8 dollar for gallon.

There is no free refill for any dirnks at any restaurant and the small size cup at mc donalds is the large size there :):)

cloth cost way more in europe jeans like levis u may pay almost 100 euro thats over 100 dollar.

never been to amsterdam and i am not much of a pot head either so no need for me to go there i heard its crazy.

Spain or Italy would be ok i guess. Good food. cheaper to live. Girls pretty. etc...

Spain and Italy are the two best countries in Europe IMO. Very nice cultures and beautiful people. These two countries are not totally destroyed by immigrants yet. Germany is full of Turks and other Muslims, it is a shame what has happened to that once great country. I feel like in Spain you get to be Spanish without having to apologize to anyone or the same with Italy. It is similar to the USA in the 1960s or something before all of the politically correct bullshit and rampant immigration, being forced to accept unnatural things etc.

Last edited:
I'm from the netherlands. Gear, weed(available in shops), and other drugs are allowed for personal use as long as you don't deal the stuff yourself.

Join **broken link removed** for all your questions, enough people who are prepared to help.

$5k is about €3,800... minus the cost of your plane ticket, you won't last long in Amsterdam if you don't find a job quick... which without knowing in details the job market in Holland, won't be that easy... Europe is facing crisis like the US.

Do you speak Dutch? If not, I'd forget about working there. By the way, aside from the UK, everywhere you go you'll have to speak the language of the country you're choosing... most nations won't even give you a working permit if you don't master their local language... which is just normal if you ask me!

That being said, the cost of living in Amsterdam is pretty high... much higher than in the US, like in most European capitals.

Well i am from the Netherlands. My advise is just go on a vacation to the netherlands for two weeks. Or Europe for that matter. Why specifically Amsterdam? And then figure out if you even like Europe.

Just choose a city where you can find a job. Commuting between cities is no option, would cost you too much time. Amsterdam is pretty expensive.
Actually Europe is way more expensive that the USA for that matter.
For example i am going to NYC thsi March for shopping........so that gives you an idea how much more expensive Europe is (houses, clothing, food etc.)
I dont know what you are used to right now regarding housing and stuff. But students in Amsterdam pay roughly EUR 400-750 for 30-40 m2.

As far as language goes, if you only speak english thats not a problem in the netherlands. In Europe we speak, at least i do, multiple languages. We have plenty of international companies, and a lot of expats here. But on the other hand, the economy is pretty shitty right now so finding a good job might not be easy.

Gear is illegal, allthough personal use is ok

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner