over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Offered a guy a job and he turned it down

renewlyf

Featured member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
This is just on my mind. As some of you know I a recovering addict/alcoholic. I'm very active in a couple of different 12 Step programs. There are a lot of younger guys that are living in halfway homes and looking for work in the programs as you could imagine. We have a entry level position opening that is perfect for one of these guys. When I got to the meeting last night I went up to a group of the younger guys and told them we were looking to hire someone. They said this guy Erick needed a job. I know the guy and he has been sober for about 6 months. So I go up to him and offer the job. His response was no because he just got approved for un-employment :confused: The 1st thought that went through my mind was, I wouldn't want someone with that additude working for us anyways. I didn't say that but it did make me think about alot of things wrong with some people (kids) today. I'm not mad and didn't loose any sleep over this just thought it might be a good topic for discussion or rants ;)

This is just on my mind. As some of you know I a recovering addict/alcoholic. I'm very active in a couple of different 12 Step programs. There are a lot of younger guys that are living in halfway homes and looking for work in the programs as you could imagine. We have a entry level position opening that is perfect for one of these guys. When I got to the meeting last night I went up to a group of the younger guys and told them we were looking to hire someone. They said this guy Erick needed a job. I know the guy and he has been sober for about 6 months. So I go up to him and offer the job. His response was no because he just got approved for un-employment :confused: The 1st thought that went through my mind was, I wouldn't want someone with that additude working for us anyways. I didn't say that but it did make me think about alot of things wrong with some people (kids) today. I'm not mad and didn't loose any sleep over this just thought it might be a good topic for discussion or rants ;)

Well, the problem is how unemployment works. Depending on how much he was getting paid at his old job, he might have been getting paid more under unemployment than the would be working the job you offered.

I know the unemployment is a % based on the pay you were getting in your old job, not sure what the number is. One of my neighbors was unemployed for a long time. He was making $100 K plus a year, not sure how much, and finding a job that would pay more than just his unemployment was tough. I asked him about a couple of jobs and he said I cant afford to take those because I would lose unemployment and then I couldnt pay my bills. Once you become dependant on a certain pay level your lifestyle changes and you have the mortgage to pay etc. It sucks that things are that way. If he had taken a lower paying job and lost unemployment he would chance losing his home etc.

I hope this is ok but it reminds me of an old joke.
A priest, rabbi and imam were sitting on a park bench when they see Jesus walk by. They call HIM over and ask for blessings. The priest says, "Jesus, I have early stages of cancer." Jesus touches him and says, "You're cured, brother."
The imam says, "Jesus, I have really bad arthritis." Jesus touches him and says, "Not anymore, brother."
When Jesus turns his attention to the rabbi, he jumps up and yells, "Don't touch me! I'm on disability!"

It's today's youth brotha. Why work for something when u can get it for free. Sad. I don't see it getting any better. There are too many government programs offering something for nothing.

Yeah who knows his reasons. Perhaps you could explore this with Erick. Ask him some follow up questions. You're clearly a well intentioned guy seeking to help others. I think its important not to bring any pre-conceived bias or judgement.

I have encountered this many times also involoving guys from the "program". I have only been sober a year but in the summer months I get alot of side jobs and last summer I had a couple big projects going so I got guys from the program and had nothing but problems. Guys would work one day and then not show up the next or come up with all kinds of excuses to get out of work. Well come to find out 90% of these guys were on social securtiy disability, for just being drunks and drug addicts they get a check every month! Needless to say the construction work I do isn't the easiest work in the world so I guess these guys figured why bust ass and work for money ifyou don't have to. And trust me there wasn't a thing wrong physically with these guys, just straight out laziness.
I used to go to about 5-7 meetings a week, now I hit about 3 a week and I don't know how it is anywhere else but here in Cleveland it seems like about 90% of guys inthe "program" get checks!

Well, the problem is how unemployment works. Depending on how much he was getting paid at his old job, he might have been getting paid more under unemployment than the would be working the job you offered.

I know the unemployment is a % based on the pay you were getting in your old job, not sure what the number is. One of my neighbors was unemployed for a long time. He was making $100 K plus a year, not sure how much, and finding a job that would pay more than just his unemployment was tough. I asked him about a couple of jobs and he said I cant afford to take those because I would lose unemployment and then I couldnt pay my bills. Once you become dependant on a certain pay level your lifestyle changes and you have the mortgage to pay etc. It sucks that things are that way. If he had taken a lower paying job and lost unemployment he would chance losing his home etc.

Hello Maldorf,

I understand what you're saying and can empathize with that situation. I know this kid's story and that is not the case. He's is 23-24 hasn't held any high paying job for the 2 years I've known him. Oh well!

Hello Maldorf,

I understand what you're saying and can empathize with that situation. I know this kid's story and that is not the case. He's is 23-24 hasn't held any high paying job for the 2 years I've known him. Oh well!

Then he is just lazy! Did you even tell him how much it would be paying? So chances are whatever job he might have had was probably not much more than minimum wage? Probably under $10/hr?

That is a shame when you see that. Pretty sure that in order to continue receiving unemployment that you have to show evidence that you have been applying for jobs. Anyone know how that works?

Another thing I see as abuse is how some people take unemployment when they are laid off even if they get severance pay. About 4 yrs ago my wife and the rest of her office was let go during some downsizing and they all got a nice severance package of full pay for a time based on how long they had been there. Several of the guys at the office too unemployment on top of that. I guess its legal? My wife asked me if she should take it and I told NO!

Sad truth is its the American Way. Hardly anyone gets to success by hard work, but interpersonal connections and exploiting someone elses ignorance. Todays mantra is "hard work only makes you tired not paid." Don't believe me, look at your govenment reps, who after elected suddenly are worth millions upon millions. Its a travesty meanwhile average Joe is envious like "why cant I do that?" lol, you lack connections....period.

Then he is just lazy! Did you even tell him how much it would be paying? So chances are whatever job he might have had was probably not much more than minimum wage? Probably under $10/hr?

That is a shame when you see that. Pretty sure that in order to continue receiving unemployment that you have to show evidence that you have been applying for jobs. Anyone know how that works?

Another thing I see as abuse is how some people take unemployment when they are laid off even if they get severance pay. About 4 yrs ago my wife and the rest of her office was let go during some downsizing and they all got a nice severance package of full pay for a time based on how long they had been there. Several of the guys at the office too unemployment on top of that. I guess its legal? My wife asked me if she should take it and I told NO!

Nah, UI doesn't fuck around. They will be caught, have to pay it back and still be cut off for a period of time. I know people that this exact thing happened to. I had no sympathy.

Nah, UI doesn't fuck around. They will be caught, have to pay it back and still be cut off for a period of time. I know people that this exact thing happened to. I had no sympathy.

Oh, you know some people that had a severance package and still took unemployment while they were collecting the severance? those people had to pay it back?

Another story on the news that really pissed me off was where those people that lived in a $1million plus home were collecting welfare and food stamps. Did you all see that!? The guy was driving a nice Jag or something of that order and I think she was in a new mercedes S class. Sick shit.

I guess they got away with it because of some loophole. They dont check to see what kind of neighborhood the recipient' address is in so they have no idea of net worth. So even though they were unemployed they were worth a considerable amount of money.

If you had to work or get a descent Unemployment what would you do ?

I have encountered this many times also involoving guys from the "program". I have only been sober a year but in the summer months I get alot of side jobs and last summer I had a couple big projects going so I got guys from the program and had nothing but problems. Guys would work one day and then not show up the next or come up with all kinds of excuses to get out of work. Well come to find out 90% of these guys were on social securtiy disability, for just being drunks and drug addicts they get a check every month! Needless to say the construction work I do isn't the easiest work in the world so I guess these guys figured why bust ass and work for money ifyou don't have to. And trust me there wasn't a thing wrong physically with these guys, just straight out laziness.
I used to go to about 5-7 meetings a week, now I hit about 3 a week and I don't know how it is anywhere else but here in Cleveland it seems like about 90% of guys inthe "program" get checks!

If that is not enableing than what is. As for 90% of people in the program recieving govt money here. I'm not sure. The core group of guys I'm good friends are fairly succesful both in recovery and career wise. We bring a meeting and a meal down to the homeless shelter on every Sunday. There I will say that 90%+ are getting govt money. It's almost comical that toward the end of the month we will feed 200+ people. Right after the 1st we might see half that many.
I guess the best we can do is do our best to help those who really need it!

Work!!!!!

Really ?

Lets say you'd have to work 40 hours to make 3k a month

or you DON'T need to work and you would get 2.5k from Unemployment

if you really would work in that situation then Kudos to you !!

I'm in early 20s, so I would get the money and have fun, go to school,travel, and party as well

I have this mentality that I don't like to have a boss telling me what to do :\

:yeahthat:

Wow is all i can say!!! Thats incredible!!

raw33man said it himself

I'm in early 20s, so I would get the money and have fun, go to school,travel, and party as well

I have this mentality that I don't like to have a boss telling me what to do :\

Hate to say it bro but in my opinion this attitude sux...oh well...I'll get back to "lurking"

Last edited:
The max benefits in NY is a bit over $400 p/w and that's if you don't get taxes taken out up front. This is impossible to live on here unless you live with parents or whatnot. But, it wouldn't make sense to take a job that would pay less.

Come on, let's be realistic. You either get money for doing whatever you want OR you get money for working for someone. Which would you prefer?

I am currently on unemployment which is normal in the winter months but I can honestly say I would rather be at work right now. And it has nothing to do with making more money working versus less on unemployment because I am pretty good with my finances. Rather it has to do with the fact that I am bored to f**kin death all day at home. Getting up every day and going to put in a hard days work gives me purpose and direction in life and I feel good when the day is over: a sense of accomplishment.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy sitting here and posting on PM all day:), still would rather be at work though but thats just me.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear