over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Ok you tell me why~!

Tough Old Man

Kilo Klub Member
This has to do w/ Pull-ups vs Pulldowns.

I've never done Pull-ups until recently. Reason, I guess I was to heavy and to weak in the lats to do them. Always done pulldowns with different grips.

Ok now here is how many wide grip pull-ups I can do and this is all the way up with chin above bar and down to a full hang.

Set 1.......4
Set.2.......4 w/ last rep barely getting chin above bar
Set 3.......3 and rep 4 to about eyes

Now why are those better then doing 8-12 heavy reps utilizing wide grip pulldowns

Imho chin ups are much more of a total body exercise. Pull downs isolate the lats. My lats get a much better pump with pull downs. But as far as real world strength, pull/chin ups are in a different league. Its kinda/sorta a leg press/ squat thing. Everyone can do 6 plates on the leg press, very few can do half of that with a bar on their back and good rom/form.

IMO Your legs are locked under the pads, if you was to turn around and do the same weight it's a little more difficult,
Body weight, a little harder to move.
Say you can bench 225 For 10 reps....? Take a 225 pound man and bench press him 10 times a little harder.

I'm sure theres some physiology explanation behind it.

Last edited:
I did wide and narrow chins for about the first 6-7 yrs when I began training.
I did hi rep/heavy lower reps etc. I started to develop some shoulder issues
later on and my body wt had progressed into the 300lb range. I started using pulldowns more and found I could "feel" and train the lats more effectively.
I guess whatever works best is best. My back is a really strong muscle group for me. For me though bent barbell rows are king. Those are what really
put the meat on my back.T

It's due to Neuromuscular Activation.

Moving the body through space creates a higher stress response from the body's adaptive energies. Similar concept to why compound exercises are more efficient than isolation exercises, beside the fact that you're working more muscle groups.

More overall stress = more growth potential.

It's simple, you can't assist with the lower back and hamstrings on a pullup, on a pulldown you can lean back and assist. During the negative especially, on a pulldown you will use a different angle then on the positive, thus using different muscles and/or different fibers of the same muscles. On a pullup you are forced to use almost the exact same angles on both the positive and the negative...

:yeahthat:

You have more resistance on the eccentric movement

I can't do chin's to save my life. The most I ever got to do was 8 in 1 set. That was after several wks of trying, and was much younger then! Some people have it, some don't! I don't do them at all now cause it hurts my ulnar ligaments too much. :(

Pullups KILL my golfer's elbow. Pulldowns not so much. Weird

i actually enjoy pull ups now that i lost 40 pounds its a little easier.
i get fatigued super fast though.

Great post. I have been doing chins for a long time. I weigh only 170 but have great lats and I attribute to chins. I do DC R/P with a 45 now for 19 reps and my lats are pumped and look great. I also mix in pulldowns and v grip pulldowns in my rotation.

I've never seen Jay Cutler doing chin ups...and his back is pretty massive.

I've seen little 90lb female gymnasts do 100 chins in a row...with little tiny backs.

you put the pieces together...

It's due to Neuromuscular Activation.

Moving the body through space creates a higher stress response from the body's adaptive energies. Similar concept to why compound exercises are more efficient than isolation exercises, beside the fact that you're working more muscle groups.

More overall stress = more growth potential.

I don't know if I agree here. According to this, we should all train on the still rings in order to get more growth potential.

Still rings are tough...and gymnasts are very strong...i know because I was one...but there aren't any 300lb gymnasts...

i'm not trying to be an asshole...but I think that stimulation is stimulation...your lats don't know if you're doing a chin up or a pulldown...but the intensity of a 130lb gynmast chinning for 50 reps doesn't make pro sized lats...MORE intensity is needed. chins vs pulldowns, imo doesn't matter. intensity matters.

Last edited:
Harry Selkow can help you with the pullups. Elitefts.com.

The reason they are more effective is the same reason that you(and many others) don't/CAN'T do them..they are harder! They require more muscle mass in the back in order to perform, plain and simple. This is why anyone who can do a significant number of pull-ups will always have better back development than the guy who CAN'T.

I don't know if I agree here. According to this, we should all train on the still rings in order to get more growth potential.

Still rings are tough...and gymnasts are very strong...i know because I was one...but there aren't any 300lb gymnasts...

i'm not trying to be an asshole...but I think that stimulation is stimulation...your lats don't know if you're doing a chin up or a pulldown...but the intensity of a 130lb gynmast chinning for 50 reps doesn't make pro sized lats...MORE intensity is needed. chins vs pulldowns, imo doesn't matter. intensity matters.

Hmmm. What if we tried weighted rings? No rings in my gym though :)

The reason they are more effective is the same reason that you(and many others) don't/CAN'T do them..they are harder! They require more muscle mass in the back in order to perform, plain and simple. This is why anyone who can do a significant number of pull-ups will always have better back development than the guy who CAN'T.

idk man...i've seen some pretty little gymnasts rail off sets of 50 chins...but i've never seen jay doing them...although i know JOJ keeps it as one of his staple back movements...

Is it the goal of a gymast to be as big as possible? Or is it their goal to be able to master their art form? What you do in the gym is not the only aspect to bb. A lot has to do with what you do away from the gym and at the table. Would it make sense for a gymnast to be 250+? Of course not. Would it make sense for a pro bodybuilder to try and weigh 130? I'm sure Jay did pullup prior to weighing 280 lbs as most pro bb probably did. BB train and eat for size, gymnasts don't, so not a very good comparison. And it's not only intensity, if your diet and rest is shit, you won't grow. How long do gymnasts practice a day, 6,8,10 hours? Not much rest time for growth there

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear