over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Old school memories...

Yea to r this day that chain drive pullover is one of the best back exercises I’ve ever done, raw work but isolation of a machine and some how it hit traps to erectors which even actual dumbbell pullovers don’t do for me.

Agree on this. I have a home gym and while I'm not a big machine guy I would LOVE to have one of these if I could fit it. Just no room left. Not giving up anything that I do have either!

Muscle & fitness Oct 1998 Issue. This is when I first saw pics of jay cutler for the first time. Upon seeing his pics, I turned to my lifting partner and said "he's going to be Mr. Olympia someday". True story.

Cutler 1998Image_20220521_0002.jpg

A page from an old Planet Fitness Magazine:

bikini models Image_20220521_0002 downsized.jpg

Muscle & fitness Oct 1998 Issue. This is when I first saw pics of jay cutler for the first time. Upon seeing his pics, I turned to my lifting partner and said "he's going to be Mr. Olympia someday". True story.

View attachment 158136
Yea I think all of us knew when he won Teen Nationals battling with Branch that both he and Branch had Olympia potential and had Branch not suffered a few tears he may have grabbed a Sandow like Dexter did. There were a few years there where he could’ve like DJ did.

I like how the article states that he was "sticking with 225 pounds for reps" and the picture shows him squatting with three plates. Perfectly logical. Not for nothing, and I think many have come forward to say this, but many of the training articles written about pros training regimens has been reputed to be bullshit and/or ghost written.

I like how the article states that he was "sticking with 225 pounds for reps" and the picture shows him squatting with three plates. Perfectly logical. Not for nothing, and I think many have come forward to say this, but many of the training articles written about pros training regimens has been reputed to be bullshit and/or ghost written.
I’ve talked to a lot of the guys from the 2000s and pretty much unanimously I was told that the workouts put next to their name in Flex, MD, MM, etc. we’re 100% bullshit and almost all of them were doing instinctive training sans for the guys working with Hany.

I’ve talked to a lot of the guys from the 2000s and pretty much unanimously I was told that the workouts put next to their name in Flex, MD, MM, etc. we’re 100% bullshit and almost all of them were doing instinctive training sans for the guys working with Hany.
Yep. I believe it. Save for the photography and general info, when it comes to "so and so does this for ____" the mags were and have been known to be full of shit starting with Joe Weider and his Robby Robinson statue. Perfect example of the BS. That isn't to say he didn't do good things for bodybuilding but there's always been a level deception to sell products and make money in those mags.

Yep. I believe it. Save for the photography and general info, when it comes to "so and so does this for ____" the mags were and have been known to be full of shit starting with Joe Weider and his Robby Robinson statue. Perfect example of the BS. That isn't to say he didn't do good things for bodybuilding but there's always been a level deception to sell products and make money in those mags.
I can tell ya Joe meeko.. a great from the 80s 90s in the nabba said " I've never been called to comment on my training stories they'd run".. jowle and I became good friends for awhile before his death.. he and I were going to put together a collage of his old training videos that he had.. myvwife was running a ad agency at the time and had a video producer .. so we had the idea of videos.. I watch what he sent me and he diffinitely did not Train the way the mags said..

I can tell ya Joe meeko.. a great from the 80s 90s in the nabba said " I've never been called to comment on my training stories they'd run".. jowle and I became good friends for awhile before his death.. he and I were going to put together a collage of his old training videos that he had.. myvwife was running a ad agency at the time and had a video producer .. so we had the idea of videos.. I watch what he sent me and he diffinitely did not Train the way the mags said..
Joe had a great physique. Real shame his life in the later years. Great legs on him. Is it true that he used Front Squats to build those quads? Great back also. Some of those NABBA guys from the 80's don't get their due IMO but really some had excellent physiques. Wasn't Joe a licensed pilot and didn't he patent a few products he invented?

Would love to see videos of those 80's NABBA guys training...Joe, Kawak, Jeff King, Charles Claremont, Matt Dufresne, Vic Terra. Supposedly Vic Terra moved serious weight; or so I've heard.

Joe had a great physique. Real shame his life in the later years. Great legs on him. Is it true that he used Front Squats to build those quads? Great back also. Some of those NABBA guys from the 80's don't get their due IMO but really some had excellent physiques. Wasn't Joe a licensed pilot and didn't he patent a few products he invented?

Would love to see videos of those 80's NABBA guys training...Joe, Kawak, Jeff King, Charles Claremont, Matt Dufresne, Vic Terra. Supposedly Vic Terra moved serious weight; or so I've heard.
Yeah Joe was a good guy.. dealt with depression and other issues but always extremely nice .. yeah he had made patented these " home made" helicopters.. he made a good deal with the sale. Lived a pretty humble life..

Yes he used front squats . He was built perfect for them and was very comfortable doing them.. up to 10 sets every quad workout.. he used lots of volume .. I mean lots.. so did terra.. heavy and many sets..

Yeah Joe was a good guy.. dealt with depression and other issues but always extremely nice .. yeah he had made patented these " home made" helicopters.. he made a good deal with the sale. Lived a pretty humble life..

Yes he used front squats . He was built perfect for them and was very comfortable doing them.. up to 10 sets every quad workout.. he used lots of volume .. I mean lots.. so did terra.. heavy and many sets..
Curious how much weight he used on Front Squats. did you train with him?

Curious how much weight he used on Front Squats. did you train with him?
No.. just watched the videos he sent.. if memory serves me correct.. he woukd start with 135. Get about 20.. then slowly start adding amounts and training over a wide rep range.. from 20 down to about 8. He did the same thing with all his movements. Start at a high rep range and move down.. his last sets were around 8 reps. He trained hard and long.. ill find the videos but I'm pretty sure his last sets were around 400 on the front squat..

Good mention, on the Weider statue a monument to what was the biggest icon of fitness lies the world will ever see. Weider makes the Liver King seem like a fucking neurosurgeon

The first week I had joined my first real bb'ing gym was back in the early 90's and I had joined Powerhouse Gym. It was back in an industrial park near where I lived and it was hardcore. The owner was a huge bodybuilder that used to carry 2 coolers of food in with him every day. And most of the guys that trained there were monsters. But I specifically recall signing in one day and as I walked in so did a guy named Alq Gurley. He was the biggest dude I had ever seen at that age. He was probably pushing 250lbs at the time but he was my height, 5 ft 9. I still remember just thinking "ill never be that big. holy shit!"
My first real BB'ng gym was also a powerhouse in an industrial park with several competitive bodybuilders. Was yours in NJ?

Reactions: taz
My first real BB'ng gym was also a powerhouse in an industrial park with several competitive bodybuilders. Was yours in NJ?
My first hardcore was a Power House in Memphis then oddly wound up at Metroflex

No.. just watched the videos he sent.. if memory serves me correct.. he woukd start with 135. Get about 20.. then slowly start adding amounts and training over a wide rep range.. from 20 down to about 8. He did the same thing with all his movements. Start at a high rep range and move down.. his last sets were around 8 reps. He trained hard and long.. ill find the videos but I'm pretty sure his last sets were around 400 on the front squat..
I started training just because I use to admire some of the guys in high school who walked around with their 16" arms and wide V tapered backs. Although I had to keep my bodyweight down because I was a track sprinter, I still trained a little bit for upper body (it helps you in sprinting and did make me run the 100 yard dash and 220 faster. (9.8 seconds in the 100 & 22.9 in the 220) I was undefeated all through high school in those events so I didn't want to get too big until I graduated.

I went to a seminar from Ron Teufel one day when he was in the Allentown, Pa area.

He was "one week" away from the Mr. America and blew my mind when he took off his sweats (he didn't look human he was so ripped and thick)

He was my inspiration to go for the top - I was 17 when I saw Ron Teufel in contest shape. I think he should have won the Mr. America that year but Gary Lenard beat him out. I also say Gary at a seminar a few months later after he won the Mr. America at the same gym (he had no calves and his legs were week) compared to Ron's. He was however tall and very symetrical - I guess that's why he won.

I use to train One magor and one minor bady part per day blasting it to the max (up to 30 sets for the magor part). For instance - Day one was Chest and calves. I considered calves and abs to be minor body parts only because of their size, not by importance to the physique.

Next day was back and abs, next legs by themselves, next shoulders and calves, next arm and abs. Then I would take a day off (sometimes) and repeat the cycle

I went into contests so confident that I was going to win because I new I "busted butt" for it and worked very hard dieting and training, so I never feared anyone on stage. I always though that I was the best in the show and NEVER had any doubts at any time.

The only competitor that came even close was Abe Questa - but he lacked calves severely and had small arms and V-taper in a front double bi pose. So I had no real threats on stage. The only threats were politics in a few shows which I'm sure everyone know exsists in the sport. Some organizations had more politics invloved than others.

Sincerely
Joe Meeko

I started training just because I use to admire some of the guys in high school who walked around with their 16" arms and wide V tapered backs. Although I had to keep my bodyweight down because I was a track sprinter, I still trained a little bit for upper body (it helps you in sprinting and did make me run the 100 yard dash and 220 faster. (9.8 seconds in the 100 & 22.9 in the 220) I was undefeated all through high school in those events so I didn't want to get too big until I graduated.

I went to a seminar from Ron Teufel one day when he was in the Allentown, Pa area.

He was "one week" away from the Mr. America and blew my mind when he took off his sweats (he didn't look human he was so ripped and thick)

He was my inspiration to go for the top - I was 17 when I saw Ron Teufel in contest shape. I think he should have won the Mr. America that year but Gary Lenard beat him out. I also say Gary at a seminar a few months later after he won the Mr. America at the same gym (he had no calves and his legs were week) compared to Ron's. He was however tall and very symetrical - I guess that's why he won.

I use to train One magor and one minor bady part per day blasting it to the max (up to 30 sets for the magor part). For instance - Day one was Chest and calves. I considered calves and abs to be minor body parts only because of their size, not by importance to the physique.

Next day was back and abs, next legs by themselves, next shoulders and calves, next arm and abs. Then I would take a day off (sometimes) and repeat the cycle

I went into contests so confident that I was going to win because I new I "busted butt" for it and worked very hard dieting and training, so I never feared anyone on stage. I always though that I was the best in the show and NEVER had any doubts at any time.

The only competitor that came even close was Abe Questa - but he lacked calves severely and had small arms and V-taper in a front double bi pose. So I had no real threats on stage. The only threats were politics in a few shows which I'm sure everyone know exsists in the sport. Some organizations had more politics invloved than others.

Sincerely
Joe Meeko

Attachments

• 233BA905-8D55-4ADE-B6F3-2177D5C1BDAC.png
    233BA905-8D55-4ADE-B6F3-2177D5C1BDAC.png
    503.6 KB · Views: 17

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads