over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

old school nutrition

b40361

Newbies
been reading alot of the 70s 80s...mike mentzer stuart mcrobert aurther jones casey victaor i know spelling is jacked sorry im on my phone.most if mpt all these guys were bigger on counting calories not macro"s. Mentzer said 60% carbs 25% protein 15% fat....hell the guy had carrot cake for breakfast everyday leading up to 80 olympia....he said his 2000 cals could be anything as long as he did not go over

It worked well enough for the times
They got lean, but not peeled / shredded
Also remember that you're only seeing the top of the genetic elite from that time
The genetically average never got any press, even though they might have followed the exact same plan (and got subpar results)

It worked well enough for the times
They got lean, but not peeled / shredded
Also remember that you're only seeing the top of the genetic elite from that time
The genetically average never got any press, even though they might have followed the exact same plan (and got subpar results)
Very well said! Never follow a diet that some genetically gifted person follows!

Cage

So you're saying if I eat carrot cake for breakfast I'll look like Mentzer!? 😉👊🏻

I will say that I've used a fair amount of junk food and gotten just as peeled as all clean food. For me, the calorie total matters most, followed by total protein. But, I have somewhat of a gifted metabolism...so may not apply to everyone.

The greater challenge for me is controlling hunger, which junk food seems to exacerbate.

In other words, using clean sources tends to increase the probability of staying within calorie limits. (For me)

The chocolate cake diet has been shown to be effective in studies with over weight people if you look it up. So that may be a good way to go for some people!

Understanding of nutrition is one of the areas we've advanced the furthest in bodybuilding over the last 50 years - there's absolutely no reason to be doing it the way guys did it in the 70s and 80s. Guys are bigger and leaner than ever today. While training and drugs play a role in that the biggest contributor is diet.

Regarding junk food, it's a really individual thing. As I've gotten bigger and bigger I can do more and more junk food without negative impacts given what my metabolism has become. When I'm growing I have at least one and often two cheat meals a day. If I ate 100% clean all the time I wouldn't be able to maintain my size.

Diet and food are so different for each person . Especially if your an ectomorph, Endomorph, Mesomorph, or Mix of 2 . I am not eating Carrot Cake but I am sure I could and nothing major would happen….except I’d repeat it , then I’d be a chubby bodybuilder , lol kidding 👏💪

Max

What kills me is modern day twinks following the diets of Mutant-Pro's, thinking they're gonna get jacked. :D
Shitting 8 times a day isnt doing your body any good. The over-eating fad is comical...

Since I am from that Era, I certainly didn't eat cake to get down to 5% bf to win an overall in 1986. I was eating protein like eggs, chicken, tuna and lean meat every meal with no cheat meals at all except one meal on Sunday. Carbs were usually rice, potatoes or sweet potatoes and vegetables with every meal too. I still eat simular to this day to have a lean body at 63.

been reading alot of the 70s 80s...mike mentzer stuart mcrobert aurther jones casey victaor i know spelling is jacked sorry im on my phone.most if mpt all these guys were bigger on counting calories not macro"s. Mentzer said 60% carbs 25% protein 15% fat....hell the guy had carrot cake for breakfast everyday leading up to 80 olympia....he said his 2000 cals could be anything as long as he did not go over
I don’t know about taking advice from any of those guys promoting Jones’ stuff. I don’t think they were all that honest about how they trained, ate and what drugs they used. Casey died at 62 and Mike Mentzer died at 49. His brother died at 48.

Was mentzer using speed at that time cos he couldve probably eaten anything and got peeled with enough whizz!

Was mentzer using speed at that time cos he couldve probably eaten anything and got peeled with enough whizz!
Nil nice bene de mortuis and all but mentzer was full of shit! Who really knows what he was doing...

Amphetamines were rampant, even in baseball, at the time. Wouldn't be surprised if he was but he did look phenomenal!!!

The greater challenge for me is controlling hunger, which junk food seems to exacerbate.

In other words, using clean sources tends to increase the probability of staying within calorie limits. (For me)
One of the best things I read within the last few years was a quote from a blog that said "eating delicious food causes you to want to eat MORE delicious food." That's true for me, but I suppose there are two types of people:

One type is one that works best with IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and they do better with a little junk food consistently to keep them bingeing later.

The other type, like me, is better off to just stay away from the junk food because of the quote I said. Not surprisingly, I had to quit drinking in 2005 because of an inability to moderate my consumption.

it all boils down to energy balance. It did then, and it does now. There are better and worse forms of "energy", they are not all the same in terms of quality and translative to performance, that said, it always boils down to energy balance no matter what form that energy is coming from i.e. carrot cake vs cream of rice etc

You been watching that John Little youtube page? It's a great resource for old Mentzer stuff. I do think, overall, if you train really hard and have adequate calories you will see major gains....if you have great genetics + drugs, you could have an insane physique. That said, I also think health, longevity, and body composition would be even better with a more optimal diet. At the end of the day if you get the right amount of calories you could certainly eat some carrot cake and coffee for breakfast. I still don't think it's ideal but you'd still progress.

Back in the 80’s we were so stuck in the mindset of the body only being able to absorb 30 grams of protein per meal. Now that was dumb

Mentzer was a genetic freak. I read alot about him and his training methods in the 90’s. I think he was of the basic approach of calories in calories out type approach. Very basic stuff. No gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. But Mentzers genetics (his brother ray was just as big) combined with copious amounts of anabolics (They say Mentzer used alot of Deca. Upwards of 2 grams a week) kept his muscle while shredding

His training approach became so radical that he had his clients train once a week and alternated 2 workouts. Workout 1 was close grip underhand pulldowns and squats 1 set each to failure. Workout 2 was Deadlifts and weighted dips 1 set each to failure. Real radical stuff. Minimalist routine

Old School Intra Workout Drink:💧🍯🍋

Water, Honey and Lemon Juice.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner