over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Omega 3 vs cod liver oil

jayl19

Registered
Just a quick one really,

past year Iv been trying to stay some what healthy and have been popin all sorts of pills am and pm but it appears I might be taking the wrong stuff, Iv been using 2g cod liver oil twice a day but a guy at the guy says there rubbish and I should buy high strength omega 3, I honestly thought they where the same thing haha is he right?

Stuff Iv been taking year round

AM
Multivitamin (with minerals)
1g NAC
1000mg cod liver x2
B complex vitamin
D3 vitamin
75mg aspirin

PM
Multivitamin (with minerals)
1000mg cod oil x2

Guy also said I should add coq10 and cla, done some research and the coq10 sounds good but not sure about CLA, do I really need all these different fat sups?

It’s worth paying for decent omega 3, there’s a world of difference between the cheap stuff and the good stuff.

Won’t go wrong with these:

Nordic Naturals - Omega-3, Cognition, Heart Health, and Immune Support, 180 Soft Gels **broken link removed**

CLA is shit, save your money. Coq10 isn’t as effective as ubiquinol (I have a memory that all the studies used ubiquinol) - but it’s pretty pricey

Jarrow Ubiquinol QH-Absorb (100mg, 120 Softgels) **broken link removed**

There was a thorough discussion not too far back and the consensus was to go for krill oil

The two most important things I look for: quality, and amount of EPA/DHA. I try to get 2/3g daily.

Thanks for all the info lads, so if I buy krill can I drop the omega3/cod liver and coq10/ubicanol and just take the krill or would a combo be better?

I buy all my stuff from myprotein and just found the krill

https://m.myprotein.com/sports-nutr...VL5PtCh09eQDDEAAYASAAEgI8pvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Only £20 for 90 tabs and says one a day, got a feeling one isn't enough, how much of these will I need a day?

Cheers again

I would take 4 per day (2 am/pm). 3 per day at a minimum. You were right to change as cod liver oil is inferior. Fish oil is still good you just have to get a good brand. You could rotate the two or add them in together to save money. Ubiquinol is one of the best supplements you can take so definitely get that too. Do you eat a lot of greens or fruits? Myprotein do decent green and fruit powders.

I would take 4 per day (2 am/pm). 3 per day at a minimum. You were right to change as cod liver oil is inferior. Fish oil is still good you just have to get a good brand. You could rotate the two or add them in together to save money. Ubiquinol is one of the best supplements you can take so definitely get that too. Do you eat a lot of greens or fruits? Myprotein do decent green and fruit powders.

Hey elvia

take 3 or 4? You taking about the krill right?

I'll check the prices on ubiquinol now, cheers

I eat a lot of veg no fruit

Half a ice burg lettuce
1 whole pepper
8 cherry tomatoes
Hand full bean sprout
500g stir fry veg mix (mushrooms, carrot, spinage, red onion)

So is the idea just to get the most EPA/DHA? Or is the krill special? Looks cheaper to just take more omega 3 caps

Hey elvia

take 3 or 4? You taking about the krill right?

I'll check the prices on ubiquinol now, cheers

I eat a lot of veg no fruit

Half a ice burg lettuce
1 whole pepper
8 cherry tomatoes
Hand full bean sprout
500g stir fry veg mix (mushrooms, carrot, spinage, red onion)

So is the idea just to get the most EPA/DHA? Or is the krill special? Looks cheaper to just take more omega 3 caps

Yes Krill Oil. I think 3-4 is good for someone like us who trains hard etc. Even regular people I would recommend the same though. The bare minimum for anyone would be 2 per day imo. I would also try to intake other good fats through the day. When I cut hard and remove most fats from my diet I like (and plan to do again) 2 animal omega paks per day. Krill is superior as it's purer and has been shown in studies to out perform fish oil in regards to improving lipids. You could do 2 krill per day and 4 fish (1+2 x 2 per day). Don't overthink things though. Adding any amount in will be of benefit for you.

I would recommend this for you to give you a good dose of anti-oxidants...

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/superfood-xs/10530284.html

Yes Krill Oil. I think 3-4 is good for someone like us who trains hard etc. Even regular people I would recommend the same though. The bare minimum for anyone would be 2 per day imo. I would also try to intake other good fats through the day. When I cut hard and remove most fats from my diet I like (and plan to do again) 2 animal omega paks per day. Krill is superior as it's purer and has been shown in studies to out perform fish oil in regards to improving lipids. You could do 2 krill per day and 4 fish (1+2 x 2 per day). Don't overthink things though. Adding any amount in will be of benefit for you.

I would recommend this for you to give you a good dose of anti-oxidants...

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/superfood-xs/10530284.html

Thanks for the detailed post

I like the sound of that 1 krill/2 fish AM then repeat PM

Im also eating 6 whole large eggs a day (free range), I'm dieting so have dropped the coconut oil, nutbutter, mac oil out my diet

Thanks for the link I will add that too, never considerd antioxidants

Thanks

Might want to think twice about taking krill as opposed to omega 3.

First, in contrast to what most consumers think, the phospholipid content in krill oil products is typically less than its content of triglycerides (which is what you find in fish oil). So much for the consumer impression that krill oil is all phospholipid

Second, the amounts of astaxanthin and choline in krill oil are miniscule and not enough to confer any significant health benefits

Third, krill oil is not “naturally free of toxins and pollutants,” and it can have as much or more than fish oil. But in either case, the levels are vanishing low so neither presents a health hazard

the supposed “superior” bioavailability of EPA + DHA from krill oil is not that superior. Thus, taking a regular dose of krill oil will only provide you a very minor dose of EPA + DHA, that will not cover your EPA + DHA needs to achieve most health benefits that research has showed with fish and/or fish oil.

Personally I use both.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity