advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

On board Cruise Ships - Fitness Trainers?

BULKING_N

Registered
Has anyone worked as a personal fitness trainer on board any of the reputable cruise ship lines? Maybe with one of the spas such as Canyon Ranch, Steiner or HArding Bros?

Im just curious to know the side of your story and your experiences regarding your overall perception, experiences etc... Any of the negatives and positives..

I have got a few offers to take up training and get on board. Off course I will only know once I get on board how life will really be for a fitness trainer on board.. The websites and the company portray such a pristine lifestyle but Im sure there is more...

I have been fortunate to sail as a guest on board QM2, Princess, Holland America and a few other very top lines.... So from the guest stand point, it can be alot different..

Many thanks..

N.

I remember the trainers on the Carnival cruise I was at....Australian or something. They gave even gave a seminar, "secrets to a flatter stomach" where they told truthful stuff, but then tried to say that they have studied toxicology and were trying to sell this dumb shit for a lot of money.....

I know... These trainers on board are really pseudo type trainers.. I call them circus performers generally with their tubes and ropes and balls.. UGH

But, it seems like a great opportunity...

I just read a few reveiws of some saying that you are very much over worked, under paid and forced to sell over priced things and then if you dont, you get penalised etc... But, I know its all very much individual experiences and which cruise line you're with

if they are going to make you dress like a pirate, that is usually the first bad sign.

I do realsie this isnt your regular hardcore gym... This is an oportunity to really just get a few out of shape folks who been gorging themselves and wanan detox or get into training... And then you gotta do things like aerobics classes and also possibly biking and other outdoor expeditions at certain port of calls.

I do realsie this isnt your regular hardcore gym... This is an oportunity to really just get a few out of shape folks who been gorging themselves and wanan detox or get into training... And then you gotta do things like aerobics classes and also possibly biking and other outdoor expeditions at certain port of calls.

I say that you ask as many questions about your day to day responsibilities as possible.

Honestly if I was young, fresh out of college I would have definitley done somehting like this to be able to travel around the world and meet new people and hit on all good looking showgirls that are on the boat...Sounds like a good time!!

Can you be a American citizen and work on a ship that constantly travels to international waters?? I thought you couldn't? I was told that is one of the major reasons why you always see people from around the world BUT from the USA. Labor laws, unions, etc...... would come into play. But maybe times have changed. Good Luck anyway.

(this was in response to US citizens no to Bulking N)

We will see what happens... Alot of questions to ask before I even sign the dotted line...

We will see what happens... Alot of questions to ask before I even sign the dotted line...

Just remember to bring out the real weights when ever a PM member is on board! lol

AbolishTheWeak will swim out and visit you;)

None that have impressed me. Generally they run a quick aerobics sessions or two during the day, give out towels and occasionally train someone. The ones Ive seen are what appears to be college age, young people who are using the ship to see the world but not for serious personal training goals.

Not a bad gig if your footloose and free!

Last edited:
Working on a cruise ship as a trainer.....this sounds like an experience of a lifetime - seeing the world, .....meeting everyone on the ship......eating anything you want, when you want it.....damn

I wonder what kind of crazy shenanigans go on in the lives of the people who work on these ships.

From what I understand, (and I'm not sure about the trainers), the workers on a cruise ship i.e. security, cooks, waiters etc. work like 80 weeks, all year long.

Can you be a American citizen and work on a ship that constantly travels to international waters?? I thought you couldn't? I was told that is one of the major reasons why you always see people from around the world BUT from the USA. Labor laws, unions, etc...... would come into play. But maybe times have changed. Good Luck anyway.

(this was in response to US citizens no to Bulking N)

No, it is because that it is only the US citizens that are still taxed on the wages. You see the guys from the Phillippine Islands and such on there because they make such a poor salary, but it is all tax free so they pay nothing. They have no expenses. Their room and food is paid for.

US on the other hand still requires you to pay taxes.

You have bunk mates. Dont think you are getting your own room and such. You aren't.

You sign on for usually a minimum of 8 months, some make it 18 months. You only have one or two days off at the ports. So if you are going on a full cruise intinery you can kiss your loved ones good bye for 90% of that time unless they fly around to different ports to meet you at the dock.

I have worked on ships as contractor before and have a lot of friends who are full time employees. Any questions, just ask.

I was thinking of doing this very thing as well. I'm a 19 year old Health Science major and was looking for something to get started in when I get out of college. I've heard that you don't get much free time at all as an employee and if you just join up to "see the world" then you'll be sorely disappointed because you don't get much free time. Do you have to pay for your room and board or food or anything or is like the military, you're just there working for them all expenses paid?

I may can the whole idea because im no longer in my early 20's and I really need a serious career opportunity .. I dont want to lose the love of being on board cruise ships...

I was thinking of doing this very thing as well. I'm a 19 year old Health Science major and was looking for something to get started in when I get out of college. I've heard that you don't get much free time at all as an employee and if you just join up to "see the world" then you'll be sorely disappointed because you don't get much free time. Do you have to pay for your room and board or food or anything or is like the military, you're just there working for them all expenses paid?

18 hour days are the norm. But then again, you are on the ship, you are not going to be able to go anywhere, so if you are not "working", what are you going to do? Still be on the ship. At least by working you get out and mingle with the passengers and pass time that way and rack up the hourly wage.

You do get to see the worlds, parts of it. When you dock in port, you have the same time as the passengers do on a rotating basis. For instance, if you hit the port in Siciliy and you have ship duties while your coworkers are on shore, don't feel bad because the next time you hit that port, it is your turn.

You will see many of the same ports over and over again while you work. You have your bunk and all your meals there. The fitness centers on most are inadequate, but then again, not very many workers on there are budding bodybuilders. Staying in shape is very possible, however bulking up to compete on the national level isn't.

The best job to get if you think you will like this is like I had. As a contractor. I only did 4-7 cruises per year. I had my own private room and such. The next best job would be as something like massage therapists or teacher/professor that teaches on the days/night the ship has a full day at sea. You have more days off. You don't make as much though. Which is why in these positions (teacher/professor) you see most retirees doing it.

You could also have a great time working as the activity counselor that schedules the water sports or land tours. contrary to popular belief the bartenders don't make the most on the ships as one would suspect because all the tips from every single job is pooled and then at the end of the cruise divided up evenly among everyone from the janitor to the captain.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws