YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

One Month Off Supplements (With Bloodwork)

• Thread starter Deleted member 106824
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 106824

I’ve been taking the same supplements for a while now and the price certainly adds up, I wanted to see if I noticed anything with a month off. Rated mood, joints, energy, IBD/GI symptoms, and body comp.

Curcumin BCM-95, 800mg per day
Fish oil, 2-3g of omega 3s per day
Multivitamin, 1 pill per day
Vitamin D, 5000iu per day
Boswelia, 1600mg per day
Citrulline malate, 6-8g per day
Taurine, 1g per day
Ashwaganda, 600-900mg per day
Ubiquinol, 200mg per day

Mood: Would say generally happy, 7/10. Did not notice a difference.
Joints: Minimal joint pain. Would rank pain 0-2/10. Did not notice a difference
Energy: 6-7/10 most days. Occasional 8 but overall reasonable energy with a drop around lunch time and then around 9-10pm. Did not notice a difference
IBD/GI: Huge difference here. I can’t say for sure if it was dropping the supplements but I went from feeling pretty good to significantly more bloating, gas, and by the very end unfortunately seemed to end up in a full-on flare. Not a good place.
Size/Strength/Body Comp: Unfortunately a bit confounded here as my doctor gave me a 100mg/ml vial after I've used 200mg/ml vials for years now so I had about 3 weeks of only taking half of my TRT dose.

I like supplements in principle but never noticed any strong benefit from taking just 1 at a time and there’s a laundry list of them I’ve tried for bodybuilding purposes and never noticed anything from them, but it does seem like they changed the inflammatory state in my body quite a bit here. This is presumably accentuated by my having IBD. I imagine joints and energy might be more noticeably affected in an older individual.

Relevant blood work posted below

D Dimer: 0.71 --> 0.79
Estradiol, Ultrasensitive: 23 --> Estradiol (regular): 21
Testosterone, Total: 852 --> 331
Testosterone, Free: 197.7 --> 51
DHT: 64 --> 19
DHEA Sulfate: 183 --> 166
Cortisol, A.M.: 15.8 --> 16.1
eGFR Non-Afr Am.: 82 --> 93
eGFR Afr Am.: 95 --> 108
Alkaline Phosphatase: 83 --> 65
AST: 21 --> 18
ALT: 46 --> 37
Cholesterol, Total: 182 --> 198
HDL Cholesterol: 75 --> 66
LDL Cholesterol: 98 --> 118
Triglycerides: 31 --> 50
Non-HDL Cholesterol: 107 --> 132
hs-CRP: <0.2 --> 0.6
ESR, Westergren (inflammatory marker): 2 --> 9
RBC Count: 4.29 --> 4.47
Hemoglobin: 14.3 --> 14.7
Hematocrit: 41.8 --> 42.4
Platelet Count: 133 --> 154
Vitamin D, 25-OH, Total: 51 --> 48

Cholesterol noticeably worse. ESR significantly higher. Hs-CRP significantly higher. Surprisingly Vitamin D is not much lower, presumably because its fat soluble (previous levels were 17 before supplementation).

Kidney function and liver function have been good/normal for a long time now but technically all are better now than before by quite a decent amount which makes me wonder if all the supplements and higher TRT are perhaps taxing them a bit, or if that’s just coincidence.

Again, it does seem to make a noticeable difference from an inflammatory standpoint in particular. We know this from studies, but always nice to see it for oneself.

Interesting. Thanks for doing this

It would make some sense that your liver values would be a bit lower since they have significantly less to process when you stop all of your oral supplementation. But honestly, both the before and after numbers of your ALT/AST are fine, so I wouldn't stop the supps over that.

Good post! Thanks for doing the experimentation on yourself...I think a lot of people wonder about this just because if you really go health-crazy with supps, the bill can rack up QUITE quickly. Personally I think it's best to find 2-4 daily supplements that you feel really help you and stick with those, rather than a cocktail of 10 supplements that you begin to take out of routine, unaware of which ones are really doing much for you. Although to be fair, that would change a bit for me with higher-than-TRT gear usage.

I guess the question is...after seeing the results, do you plan to continue taking everything as you were before, or scale down the scope of supps you take on a daily basis?

It would make some sense that your liver values would be a bit lower since they have significantly less to process when you stop all of your oral supplementation. But honestly, both the before and after numbers of your ALT/AST are fine, so I wouldn't stop the supps over that.

Good post! Thanks for doing the experimentation on yourself...I think a lot of people wonder about this just because if you really go health-crazy with supps, the bill can rack up QUITE quickly. Personally I think it's best to find 2-4 daily supplements that you feel really help you and stick with those, rather than a cocktail of 10 supplements that you begin to take out of routine, unaware of which ones are really doing much for you. Although to be fair, that would change a bit for me with higher-than-TRT gear usage.

I guess the question is...after seeing the results, do you plan to continue taking everything as you were before, or scale down the scope of supps you take on a daily basis?

I am back to taking everything at this point, yes. I think if I was a completely healthy 27 year old then the list would be quite a bit shorter. However, if you're familiar with my posts here you'll see I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy (improved since coming off everything besides TRT but still significantly dilated unfortunately). Because of this, I am much more obsessive about my health and therefore take anything I consider to have a positive effect and is well researched. Everything I take right now is fairly well researched for my specific issues. Unfortunately it's not really feasible to test each one individually with comprehensive bloodwork/echos/etc

I am back to taking everything at this point, yes. I think if I was a completely healthy 27 year old then the list would be quite a bit shorter. However, if you're familiar with my posts here you'll see I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy (improved since coming off everything besides TRT but still significantly dilated unfortunately). Because of this, I am much more obsessive about my health and therefore take anything I consider to have a positive effect and is well researched. Everything I take right now is fairly well researched for my specific issues. Unfortunately it's not really feasible to test each one individually with comprehensive bloodwork/echos/etc

What are you taking for your IBD ?

Completely understandable, and I certainly wasn't suggesting you pull one supplement at a time and get tested after a month lol (a year-long project). But of course, an easier way would be re-introducing one or two supps at a time after being completely off, and see when you really find you feel a difference. You are in a unique situation though, wherein choosing the wrong supp to wait a while to reintroduce could have a fairly negative impact, so I understand your trepidation. Again, thanks for taking the time and spending the money to do the tests, this kind of info is great and the type of thing that a lot of people propose but never follow through on.

When one has some health issues, that could potentially be very serious, it's totally understandable to go balls to the wall with supplements or anything that could potentially help. I'm sure i'd be the same way.

The only supplement that I feel i've really been able to see a big difference on bloodwork with is Fish Oil. Running 8-10grams a day seems to get my cholesterol back to normal MUCH faster after a tren or Oral cycle then had I not used it.

Saw Palemetto, I notice much less shedding and less prostate problems. VERY noticeable.

Interestingly, it seems like the only time I ever show elevated liver enzymes is when i'm taking NAC, and there is nothing else in the equation other than TRT. Not post cycle or anything.

I've ran tbol for 7 weeks and dbol for 7 weeks and gotten bloodwork after I came off each time and st/alt were in the normal range each time. Two separate times I got bloodwork while on nothing for TRT for a few months, but I also just so happened to be on NAC and ast/alt came back elevated. Weird. I don't use it anymore because of that.

I literaly don't thnk there are any supplements i've taken that I can say I feel better or worse. some stuff I can see the difference on bloodwork though.

Thank you for doing this, really appreciate.

What are you taking for your IBD ?

Mesalamine is my medication for it. Supplement wise I take ginger extract that I make myself, Bio-Curcumin, Bowsellia Serrata, and fish oil as all have anti-inflammatory properties.

Completely understandable, and I certainly wasn't suggesting you pull one supplement at a time and get tested after a month lol (a year-long project). But of course, an easier way would be re-introducing one or two supps at a time after being completely off, and see when you really find you feel a difference. You are in a unique situation though, wherein choosing the wrong supp to wait a while to reintroduce could have a fairly negative impact, so I understand your trepidation. Again, thanks for taking the time and spending the money to do the tests, this kind of info is great and the type of thing that a lot of people propose but never follow through on.

Exactly, my concern with introducing on at a time would be 1.) if each of say five supplements have a small effect it may be too hard to tell the difference from each individual one, especially given the natural fluctuations in IBD symptoms. 2.) I was in a significantly worse place at the end of the experiment, experiencing notable blood loss, etc.. and wanted to do whatever I could to get back to "normal".

When one has some health issues, that could potentially be very serious, it's totally understandable to go balls to the wall with supplements or anything that could potentially help. I'm sure i'd be the same way.

The only supplement that I feel i've really been able to see a big difference on bloodwork with is Fish Oil. Running 8-10grams a day seems to get my cholesterol back to normal MUCH faster after a tren or Oral cycle then had I not used it.

Saw Palemetto, I notice much less shedding and less prostate problems. VERY noticeable.

Interestingly, it seems like the only time I ever show elevated liver enzymes is when i'm taking NAC, and there is nothing else in the equation other than TRT. Not post cycle or anything.

I've ran tbol for 7 weeks and dbol for 7 weeks and gotten bloodwork after I came off each time and st/alt were in the normal range each time. Two separate times I got bloodwork while on nothing for TRT for a few months, but I also just so happened to be on NAC and ast/alt came back elevated. Weird. I don't use it anymore because of that.

I literaly don't thnk there are any supplements i've taken that I can say I feel better or worse. some stuff I can see the difference on bloodwork though.

Interesting on the, maybe I should have taken it before letting this hair loss start lol

Generally speaking its very rare I feel a direct benefit from any individual supplement either. I'd say curcumin is probably the most potent thing I've taken and there are several studies showing its efficacy for IBD.

I imagine someone who is older and experiencing more fatigue, joint issues, etc may be more likely to feel some of these supplements.

Also interesting what you said about NAC. It certainly didn't help improve my liver enzymes in the past. It wasn't until about 1-2 years ago I finally had normal liver enzymes at every test. Prior to that, ALT was always elevated

Which, as an aside, is why it's a pet peeve of mine to hear so many bodybuilders claim an elevation in liver enzymes is just because we workout. YES liver enzymes CAN be elevated from intense lifting but every natural I know who has gotten blood work (maybe 4-5 people I'm thinking of) has had totally normal liver enzymes and I myself now have totally normal liver enzymes now that I haven't touched AAS in a 3 years, but always had elevated enzymes when I was cycling, even in between cycles. I don't think that's a coincidence at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner