over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

One Workout per WeeK?

maxx3

Newbies
two questions for the forum:

(1) Are there any disadvantages to only working out once per week and doing a full body routine? With or without a cycle.

(2) Are there any disadvantage to only doing 1 (2 max) exercises per muscle group? Example: one exercises for bis and one for tris.

Thanks,
MAXX

Well it all depends on what your goals are I guess.. Working out once a week is better than nothing, and should at least keep you in decent shape..

Working out once a week is useless IMO. You can't get all your sets and exercises in within a reasonable amount of time in one day. You'd be in the gym for hours on end which is counterproductive to muscle growth.

While it's nothing that I'd be interested in doing, along with most everyone on here, I wouldn't call it totally useless, as opposed to not working out whatsoever.. It would still keep you in decent shape.. And if you were just doing the 1 exercise per body part as he pointed out, it wouldn't take that long - something like bench press, squats, curls, skull crushers, militaries, rows, and shrugs.

here is the my workout (once a week):

pull-ups (3x10)
bench (warm up set, 3x5-6 reps heavy weight)
Military press (warm up set, 3x5-6 reps) -super set- w/ abs
Curls -super set- tris, pull downs (warm up set, 3x5-6 reps each)
Pull down (back) (3x5-6 reps)
Leg Press

what do you think? what would you change for max mass/strength?

thanks!

While it's nothing that I'd be interested in doing, along with most everyone on here, I wouldn't call it totally useless, as opposed to not working out whatsoever.. It would still keep you in decent shape.. And if you were just doing the 1 exercise per body part as he pointed out, it wouldn't take that long - something like bench press, squats, curls, skull crushers, militaries, rows, and shrugs.

Even if you did all those exercises, you still need to do a lot of warm up sets before doing your working sets. That would take quite a bit of time. To me, spending more than 90 mins lifting for one session is not conducive to muscle growth from personal experience. While it would be better than not lifting at all, it wouldn't be conducive to much muscle growth.

Nothing wrong with a full body workout once per week provided you train hard. I would give shoulders and arms a miss. After warm ups go 2 hard sets on incline bench, weighted chins, squats or leg press and deadlifts or heavy rows. Trust me you can get strong and keep size. They key is not waisting your time on smaller body parts.

Personally, I went onto a once per week weights session about 8 years ago since I was as busy as hell with LOTS of stuff... I lost about 10 pounds and lots of strength in 3 months. A trainer recommended that I lift at least once per week to "maintain," but it didn't work out that way, for me. My routine was as follows:
bench press
pullups
rows
leg press
lateral raises
db curls
tri pushdowns

Granted I wasn't very experienced back then, but it sounds remotely like what you're planning on and what I'm saying is that it did nothing for me.

I suppose its better than doing nothing, but wont do much of anything for you. Most wouldnt even be able to maintain on that. IMO you need to hit the body optimally 2x per week so that youre training 4x per week. You should split your body into at least 2 days of training and repeat that once so that youre training 2days on 1 off then 2 on then 2 off. Splitting into 2 days of training instead of one will make the workout much shorter and youll be able to reach more intensity. thats about the min I could do to make any sort of gain or just maintain what I had.

I suppose its better than doing nothing, but wont do much of anything for you. Most wouldnt even be able to maintain on that. IMO you need to hit the body optimally 2x per week so that youre training 4x per week. You should split your body into at least 2 days of training and repeat that once so that youre training 2days on 1 off then 2 on then 2 off. Splitting into 2 days of training instead of one will make the workout much shorter and youll be able to reach more intensity. thats about the min I could do to make any sort of gain or just maintain what I had.

If this is the case for max growth then why do so many bodybuilding works look like this (only once on each group a week)?:

Mon - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
* Incline press - warm-up sets, 1 work set
* Flat flyes - 1 work set
* Millitary press - 1 warm-up, 1 work set
* Lateral flyes - 1 work set
* Rear delt machine - 1 work set
* Tricep pushdowns - 1 warm-up, 1 work set
* Lying tricep extensions - 1 work-set

Wed - Quads, Hams, Calves
* Squats - warm-ups, 1 work set
* Leg press - work set
* Leg extension - work set
* Leg curl - warm-up, work set
* Stiff leg deadlift - work set
* Standing calf raise - work set

Fri - Abs, Back, Bis
* Rope crunches - warm up, work set
* Lat pull down - warm-ups, work set
* Deadlift - warm-up, work set
* Bent-over rows - work set
* Shrugs - work set
* Standing BB curls - warm up, work set
* Concentration curl - work set

First off, why the once a week?

too busy? bullies in the gym the other six days? or just not very dedicated?

Second, what do you want to accomplish with your training?

Gain Mass? Lose fat? Increase Strength?

Third, what are you willing to sacrifice to accomplish your goals?

Give up watching American idol? Wake up earlier? Stay up later? Eating better foods?

There has to be a reason why you want to try 1 day a week. You also have to have a goal. For every goal you want to accomplish sacrifices will have to be made. You will not increase mass or strength with a 1 day a week program, it does not matter the intensity, will, or want. Its just not going to happen. You may be able to clean up a diet and lose some fat and tone up a bit but if mass and strength are what you want you will need to find more time to dedicate in order to make your goals feasible.

If it could be done in a day we would all be one day a week warriors, hope that makes sense.

First off, why the once a week?

Give up watching American idol? Wake up earlier? Stay up later? Eating better foods?

There has to be a reason why you want to try 1 day a week. You also have to have a goal. For every goal you want to accomplish sacrifices will have to be made. You will not increase mass or strength with a 1 day a week program, it does not matter the intensity, will, or want. Its just not going to happen. You may be able to clean up a diet and lose some fat and tone up a bit but if mass and strength are what you want you will need to find more time to dedicate in order to make your goals feasible.

If it could be done in a day we would all be one day a week warriors, hope that makes sense.

>> Busy, yes, but over training has been a huge problem for me!

Question: if most bodybuilder only hit one muscle group per week, just split over 2-3 workouts then why wouldn't someone that does the same, just in one day NOT get mass and Strength?

>> Strength first, Mass 2nd

>> Whatever it takes!

Thanks for the feedback!

In a one day a week program you're esentially adding to your overworking problem.

The body can only rebuild so much at a time. hence the one muscle group per day theory. You work arms, the next couple days your body is rebuilding the torn tissues in the arms, the nest day you work legs, next back, next shoulders, etc. this way the body can pace itself in the recovery and rebuilding process.

I would look into a 4 on 3 off program if time is an issue. You ill be able to accomplish your goals in this manner far better than in a 1 day a week program. Again it will obviously be a sacrifice.

Find a program you think you can work with and stick to it. Don't add to is if over training is a problem. Often times less is more. You just have to find what you an squeeze into your comfort zone. Eat well, train well, sleep well and your goals will be realized faster than you ever expected.

EXACTLY!!!! MOst people haVE trouble recovering from a couple bodyparts per workout. IF you were even able to train with enough intensity to induce a growth response inone workout per week, do you really think your body will be able to recover/remodel the damaged tissue, not to mention the fact that most people at rest turn over 1.8g protein per lb bodyweight per day and thats without having to heal fucked up contractile proteins..

not to mention the poor ol' CNS

In a one day a week program you're esentially adding to your overworking problem.

The body can only rebuild so much at a time. hence the one muscle group per day theory. You work arms, the next couple days your body is rebuilding the torn tissues in the arms, the nest day you work legs, next back, next shoulders, etc. this way the body can pace itself in the recovery and rebuilding process.

I would look into a 4 on 3 off program if time is an issue. You ill be able to accomplish your goals in this manner far better than in a 1 day a week program. Again it will obviously be a sacrifice.

Find a program you think you can work with and stick to it. Don't add to is if over training is a problem. Often times less is more. You just have to find what you an squeeze into your comfort zone. Eat well, train well, sleep well and your goals will be realized faster than you ever expected.

I worked-out once a week for about a year due to a very demanding job. It wasn't ideal but it worked surprisingly well. I did one very intense work set for each body part, using rest/pauses and drop sets. Didn't even take that long 1-1.5 hrs? It also helped that my job was very physical and I could eat whatever i wanted because I was burning so many calories. A few warm-up sets for each
bench
hanging cleans
bent over rows
pull ups
squats
abs
Not the greatest routine, but I was working 60-70 hours a week at a very physical job and could only get to the gym on sat morning and I was pleased with the results .

I know for me personally, doing that low of volume per bodypart just once per week would yeild no results. If youre going to train each bodypart just once per week youre going to have to greatly increase the volume youre doing on training day. Over the many years I trained I found that hitting everything with low volume and 2x per week yielded the greatest strength gains by far, and for size it was about the same as the old standard once per week that a lot of bodybuilders used to do. I think nowadays you will find most have moved away from that.
For me the stimulus of training everything 2x worked well because you are able to keep intensity higher with the low volume and at the same time challenge your body with more resistance more often. Doing it 2x gives you that opportunity to increase resistance more often.

What do you think of the workout?

objectives: strength first, mass second

Power movements only...

Mon. (push)

bench
military press
Leg Press
calf press
Dips
abs

Fri. (Pull)
pull ups
Pull downs
deadlifts
abs

What do you think? what would you change?

Im currently in a cut, and I try to get in ATLEAST 2x a week, but I always try to shoot for 3x.

On Mondays, I will lift Chest, Tris, Shoulders
Tuesday and Wednesdays are off/cardio days.
I hit it again on Thursday for Biceps, Back, Traps.
Friday and Saturday are off/cardio days, then I hit it again on Sunday.
IMO, any more than 3 hard heavy training days in the gym is too much.

You want to try to do a full body workout 2x a week. You could hit the bodypart 2x a week and just alternate movements.

Mon
Squat
Bench
Bent Row
Military Press
B Curl
Skull Crushers
Standing Calf Raises

Thurs
Leg Press
I Bench
Pullups
S Laterals
D Curl
Pushdowns
Seated Calf Raises

2 sets per movement one set 6-8 reps one set 10-12

Not very complicated to gain strength and size. Go to Lee Appersons site and check out his free High Intensity Course. Great info on there.

my wife works out 2 a wk on the weekend. she just cant get her ass out of bed during the wk she doses 3 exercises per body part 3 sets each and her body is amazing plus she eats very clean.and uses the treadmill 3 times a wk.

Last edited:

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner