over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Opening a Personal Training Studio

ridge11

Registered
I am in the process of opening a personal training studio and am looking for some insight from any members who have experience in owning a personal training studio. A couple questions I have are:
What are some of the hidden expenses that you overlooked?
What where some of your biggest problems?
What do you think is the most important thing to consider when opening a training facility?
Other than word of mouth, what was the best way you got people in the door?
Should I opt for established trainers, or new trainers I can train?
Any other words of wisdom you can provide?

Thank you.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Make sure You have functional training and know Your potential clients...too often studios open without an understanding of"who" they are targeting

Thanks. Yes, my view of what "functional" training is will be offered in class form, and by some of the trainers. I'm trying to reach a larger demographic than crossfit. More of the business crowd.

Google Bedros Keuilian, I've met him, good guy.

See my replies in blue.

I am in the process of opening a personal training studio and am looking for some insight from any members who have experience in owning a personal training studio. A couple questions I have are:

What are some of the hidden expenses that you overlooked? - Man, it adds up so fast. Rent, utilties (heat and a/c!), insurance, buildout, advertising, CC processing, payroll, etc. Whatever you think your expenses will be, add 20%.

What where some of your biggest problems? Plan on being tied to that store for the first two years. Nobody is going to take care of the business the way you will. You will be a slave, cleaning toilets, picking up after people and dealing with unhappy customers. Plan on losing money the first 6 months to a year. Make sure you can get all your permits and legal stuff done way in advance of opening the doors. If you are going to have other employees, this will be your next biggest problem, finding good ones.

What do you think is the most important thing to consider when opening a training facility? Location, staff, concept. Are you in a good area? Do you have great trainers with good personalities? What do you do that is different?

Other than word of mouth, what was the best way you got people in the door? Have an existing book of business/clients that you can bring with you.

Should I opt for established trainers, or new trainers I can train? Both have their own positives and negatives. I would try charging your trainers to freelance out of your business. IE you pay me $250 per month but you can train as many people as you like and you keep 100% of the income. Get 10 trainers going and that's $2,500 a month.

Any other words of wisdom you can provide? - When times got hard on my day job, I had to look for other work. I landed a GM position with a local LA Boxing. As someone who has seen these deals from all sides, the above is my advice to you. I used to want my own gym until I ran that LA Boxing. You had better LOVE training people and have no problem working 60-70 hours a week. Getting going is so hard but obviously can be worth it if you stick it out and are good at what you do. If you have any other questions just ask and I'd be happy to try and help. Good luck to you!

Thank you.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member