over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT - Addiction = Death / Amy Winhouse

renewlyf

Featured member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
This will probably get moved. However, I thought in light of the number of board members reaching out for help with addiction issues on this forum, the following could help someone.
I'm not a big fan of her music. Back when I was in the depth of my addiction. My girlfriend's alarm would go off every morning and it seemed like her song "Going to Rehab" would play over and over again.

I recieved this email from my Cocaine Anonymous sponsor.

Russell Brand's Heartfelt Blog About Amy Winehouse
7/24/2011 9:20 AM PDT by TMZ Staff
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russell says he finally conquered his addiction at the age of 27, the same age Amy was when she passed away. He says he'd known Amy for a long time before he had ever heard her sing ... calling her voice "entirely human yet laced with the divine."

Here's his blog, in its entirety:

For Amy

When you love someone who suffers from the disease of addiction you await the phone call. There will be a phone call. The sincere hope is that the call will be from the addict themselves, telling you they've had enough, that they're ready to stop, ready to try something new. Of course though, you fear the other call, the sad nocturnal chime from a friend or relative telling you it's too late, she's gone.

Frustratingly it's not a call you can ever make it must be received. It is impossible to intervene.

I've known Amy Winehouse for years. When I first met her around Camden she was just some twit in a pink satin jacket shuffling round bars with mutual friends, most of whom were in cool Indie bands or peripheral Camden figures Withnail-ing their way through life on impotent charisma. Carl Barrat told me that "Winehouse" (which I usually called her and got a kick out of cos it's kind of funny to call a girl by her surname) was a jazz singer, which struck me as a bizarrely anomalous in that crowd. To me with my limited musical knowledge this information placed Amy beyond an invisible boundary of relevance; "Jazz singer? She must be some kind of eccentric" I thought. I chatted to her anyway though, she was after all, a girl, and she was sweet and peculiar but most of all vulnerable.

I was myself at that time barely out of rehab and was thirstily seeking less complicated women so I barely reflected on the now glaringly obvious fact that Winehouse and I shared an affliction, the disease of addiction. All addicts, regardless of the substance or their social status share a consistent and obvious symptom; they're not quite present when you talk to them. They communicate to you through a barely discernible but un-ignorable veil. Whether a homeless smack head troubling you for 50p for a cup of tea or a coked-up, pinstriped exec foaming off about his "speedboat" there is a toxic aura that prevents connection. They have about them the air of elsewhere, that they're looking through you to somewhere else they'd rather be. And of course they are. The priority of any addict is to anaesthetise the pain of living to ease the passage of the day with some purchased relief.

From time to time I'd bump into Amy she had good banter so we could chat a bit and have a laugh, she was "a character" but that world was riddled with half cut, doped up chancers, I was one of them, even in early recovery I was kept afloat only by clinging to the bodies of strangers so Winehouse, but for her gentle quirks didn't especially register.

Then she became massively famous and I was pleased to see her acknowledged but mostly baffled because I'd not experienced her work and this not being the 1950's I wondered how a "jazz singer" had achieved such cultural prominence. I wasn't curious enough to do anything so extreme as listen to her music or go to one of her gigs, I was becoming famous myself at the time and that was an all consuming experience. It was only by chance that I attended a Paul Weller gig at the Roundhouse that I ever saw her live.

I arrived late and as I made my way to the audience through the plastic smiles and plastic cups I heard the rolling, wondrous resonance of a female vocal. Entering the space I saw Amy on stage with Weller and his band; and then the awe. The awe that envelops when witnessing a genius. From her oddly dainty presence that voice, a voice that seemed not to come from her but from somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, from the font of all greatness. A voice that was filled with such power and pain that it was at once entirely human yet laced with the divine. My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all instantly opened. Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse! That twerp, all eyeliner and lager dithering up Chalk Farm Road under a back-combed barnet, the lips that I'd only seen clenching a fishwife fag and dribbling curses now a portal for this holy sound. So now I knew. She wasn't just some hapless wannabe, yet another pissed up nit who was never gonna make it, nor was she even a ten-a-penny-chanteuse enjoying her fifteen minutes. She was a f**king genius.

Shallow fool that I am I now regarded her in a different light, the light that blazed down from heaven when she sang. That lit her up now and a new phase in our friendship began. She came on a few of my TV and radio shows, I still saw her about but now attended to her with a little more interest. Publicly though, Amy increasingly became defined by her addiction. Our media though is more interested in tragedy than talent, so the ink began to defect from praising her gift to chronicling her downfall. The destructive personal relationships, the blood soaked ballet slippers, the aborted shows, that youtube madness with the baby mice. In the public perception this ephemeral tittle-tattle replaced her timeless talent. This and her manner in our occasional meetings brought home to me the severity of her condition. Addiction is a serious disease; it will end with jail, mental institutions or death. I was 27 years old when through the friendship and help of Chip Somers of the treatment centre, Focus12 I found recovery, through Focus I was introduced to support fellowships for alcoholics and drug addicts which are very easy to find and open to anybody with a desire to stop drinking and without which I would not be alive.

Now Amy Winehouse is dead, like many others whose unnecessary deaths have been retrospectively romanticised, at 27 years old. Whether this tragedy was preventable or not is now irrelevant. It is not preventable today. We have lost a beautiful and talented woman to this disease. Not all addicts have Amy's incredible talent. Or Kurt's or Jimi's or Janis's, some people just get the affliction. All we can do is adapt the way we view this condition, not as a crime or a romantic affectation but as a disease that will kill. We need to review the way society treats addicts, not as criminals but as sick people in need of care. We need to look at the way our government funds rehabilitation. It is cheaper to rehabilitate an addict than to send them to prison, so criminalisation doesn't even make economic sense. Not all of us know someone with the incredible talent that Amy had but we all know drunks and junkies and they all need help and the help is out there. All they have to do is pick up the phone and make the call. Or not. Either way, there will be a phone call.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm not sure that addiction is a disease. I think the drugs?alcohol are a SYMPTOM of underlying psychological distress.

I did not find this chick to be very talented. Maybe I didnt listen enough.

Oh, and BTW:

Toxicology is not back yet, but the family strongly believes that it was alcohol w/d that killed her. She had been clean for 3 years.

Hate it when these 12-step programs seem to gloat that someone has died. They use it as an ad.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm not sure that addiction is a disease. I think the drugs?alcohol are a SYMPTOM of underlying psychological distress.

Oh, and BTW:

Toxicology is not back yet, but the family strongly believes that it was alcohol w/d that killed her. She had been clean for 3 years.

Hate it when these 12-step programs seem to gloat that someone has died. They use it as an ad.

That's been the consensus for the last 80 years.
Since when does aa advertise?
If your gonna just rattle off your uneducated opinions on subject you obviously have no knowledge about don't post it in a thread where people may be looking for help

Oh, and BTW:

So the family believes that after three years of being sober she was suddenly hit with a lethal bout of post-acute alcohol withdrawal...

That makes absolutely no sense.

I also have yet to see a billboard or commercial on tv in which AA as an organization is officially endorsing an attempt to capitalize on her death. Read Russell's blog, if you were An addict you would know and feel exactly what he's talking about. I just had a friend die yesterday from a heart attack in his mid-thirties. His drug of choice? Cocaine. He just got out of rehab a few weeks ago. It sucks but that's the nature of the beast and there's nothing we can do about it but offer the only thing that has kept us from going down that same road. It's not advertising, it's not capitalizing or profiting on pain and death; it's hoping that maybe we can keep just one more person from the same fate.

That's been the consensus for the last 80 years.
Since when does aa advertise?
If your gonna just rattle off your uneducated opinions on subject you obviously have no knowledge about don't post it in a thread where people may be looking for help

1) Maybe one your 1st posts should not be to attack someone. Do a fucking on my past posts and that will tell you my history and thoughts on addiction!

2) She was clean off drugs for 3 years! Once again, Google it. Death from alcohol w/d is not common, but it does happen. If you are so informed, why don't YOU know that?

3) I didn't say 12-steps advertise, per se--but you said yourself that the email was sent by your sponsor. Members advertise to each other as well as newcomers, saying their way is the ONLY way to peace and sobriety

You want some fucking links??? Here is a portal to MILLIONS of pages of thoughts from ex 12-steppers and DOCTORS on the success and dangers of 12-step programs. Why don't you fucking read it and quit making judgements on members that you know nothing about?? Fuckinig typical.

Stinkin' Thinkin' - Muckraking the 12-Step Industry

1) Maybe one your 1st posts should not be to attack someone. Do a fucking on my past posts and that will tell you my history and thoughts on addiction!

2) She was clean off drugs for 3 years! Once again, Google it. Death from alcohol w/d is not common, but it does happen. If you are so informed, why don't YOU know that?

3) I didn't say 12-steps advertise, per se--but you said yourself that the email was sent by your sponsor. Members advertise to each other as well as newcomers, saying their way is the ONLY way to peace and sobriety

You want some fucking links??? Here is a portal to MILLIONS of pages of thoughts from ex 12-steppers and DOCTORS on the success and dangers of 12-step programs. Why don't you fucking read it and quit making judgements on members that you know nothing about?? Fuckinig typical.

Stinkin' Thinkin' - Muckraking the 12-Step Industry

You really think I would take the time to "research" your post's before responding(are you kidding)
I made no reference to Alcohol withdrawal or a sponsor so I don't know what YOUR talking about

Last edited:
Ah. Correct. That was not you. Sorry.

Anyway, I actually spoke with my sponsor about this issue and he agrees with me. BTW he runs a pain clinic, has been clean since 1993 and went to Stanford and Johns Hopkins.

He feels the same way I so about 12-step programs, but attends for the friends he has made.

Ah. Correct. That was not you. Sorry.

Anyway, I actually spoke with my sponsor about this issue and he agrees with me. BTW he runs a pain clinic, has been clean since 1993 and went to Stanford and Johns Hopkins.

He feels the same way I so about 12-step programs, but attends for the friends he has made.

I think everybody "program" can be a little different. I like meetings because I actually found one that meets every morning, they are cool professional people that I can relate too. I do believe in early recovery 90/90 is import again it depends on where this person is coming from. Were they bundle a day heroin addicts or three martini"s at lunch? Everyone's bottom is relative, but the sickness is all the same.

I think everybody "program" can be a little different. I like meetings because I actually found one that meets every morning, they are cool professional people that I can relate too. I do believe in early recovery 90/90 is import again it depends on where this person is coming from. Were they bundle a day heroin addicts or three martini"s at lunch? Everyone's bottom is relative, but the sickness is all the same.

Agreed on all points except the 90/90. 3-5 meetings per week or outpatient is sufficient IMO. But first 90 is critical!!

Glad you are ok.

Agreed on all points except the 90/90. 3-5 meetings per week or outpatient is sufficient IMO. But first 90 is critical!!

Glad you are ok.

I did a 90/90 and it because I was doing it cause I "had to" I knd of resented it at about day 60. But I think a guy who has been smoking crack for 20 years and living under an overpass needs a 90/90!:eek:

I did a 90/90 and it because I was doing it cause I "had to" I knd of resented it at about day 60. But I think a guy who has been smoking crack for 20 years and living under an overpass needs a 90/90!:eek:

True. That is the good thing about 12-step programs. They indoctrinate you into a world of sobriety.

I was in and out of Rehab

Or should I say Detox! For and addict struggled all his or her life 7-10days is not enough time to Feel Sobriety and know what it is to live normally in Society, just like guys doing big time for Robbery, murder,etc. 20 yrs and they say here is your 1980's close hope you find a job. I was told everytime I went to rehab "you need long term treatment" 1/2 way house, outpatient treatment, etc. Finally i listened and after 14days of Rehab I lived on the Hopital campus in a 1/2 way house for 5months. I still attend meetings 2-3times a week, I chair at 1 a week and i sponsor a couple of guys. One of my sponsors and best friends is 3months ahead of me in sobriety, i will have 5yrs in Nov. '

I have an uncle in active addiction right now "Opiates" he is a Vietnam vet. He gets so many Vicodin's from the VA hospital then goes to Urgent cares from Michigan to Nebraska and gets small scripts. We didn't hear from him in 4days and we thought he was gone. But we (family) is there for him if he decides to go back to the VA's rehab!

I believe addiction is a disease caused by an underlying physcological problem. I had to remove someone from my life recently,(see my "Frustrated" thread), basically because this person doesn't "get it." This girl has an addiction to anti-depressants and Xanacs, along with cocaine and alcohol use. I know she, (my friend not Amy W.), has deep down issues and I tried in vain to help her, but she sees nothing wrong with her current choices. Even though we are no longer friends she has been on my mind lately. No matter what I don't want to find out she's dead from her drug use. I feel totally helpless, so I'm venting on this forum. Amy Winehouse wasn't my style of music nor did I know much about her, but it's still a tragedy what happened.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131