over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT: Any Motorcycle enthusiasts on here?

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
What do you ride? When/What did you ride starting out?

I'm looking to get a small 250-300 cc bike for the summer to ride around, looking for ninjas, suzukis, hondas to learn on. Any tips in regards to new riders?

I'm in the midwest so people are utterly retarded on the highway sometimes, and we only get like 4 months of decent weather :(

You'll get bored quick with anything less than a 600cc. My first bike was a ninja 636, no experience what so ever. Its real easy to pick up. Just find a parking lot or a secluded road to practice on for s day or 2 and you'll have it down. Just stay away from slick wet roads and gravel roads until you get a little time under your belt.

Not a rider myself but live near an industrial area where youngsters come every night to practice tricks and it’s a lot of fun to watch. Wheelies and go pro tricks. More and more they are on these tiny bikes I don’t know what kind they seem like minis compared to ninjas they must be better for tricks or something. In the evening the crotch rockets pack up and take over the roads like Mad Max in groups of 20 to 100 it’s insane!

What do you ride? When/What did you ride starting out?

I'm looking to get a small 250-300 cc bike for the summer to ride around, looking for ninjas, suzukis, hondas to learn on. Any tips in regards to new riders?

I'm in the midwest so people are utterly retarded on the highway sometimes, and we only get like 4 months of decent weather :(

A bit of a long response about my experience/opinion but;

Haven’t ridden in like 2 years due to being too busy with business, I actually just sold my fully stunted CBR600 in December to a friend of mine..

Ive got some experience riding, I’ve had everything from an 80cc dirt bike to an s1000rr (my favorite but it’s A LOT of bike, I honestly had no business on it and I’ll tell you why in a bit) I can tell you that if you’re just learning then there’s nothing wrong with a 250-300cc but as NGL stated, in a couple months you’ll be very bored of just riding around and speed is what you want.. A 600cc-750cc is MORE than enough for the streets and a 1000cc is just honestly to say you have a 1000cc or you’re one hell of an experienced rider... Why? Here’s my experience:

Ive raced for CCS down here in FL and Ive seen guys/girls who REALLY RIDE HARD not that ego street talk.. They showed me I had no business on a 1000cc, I honestly looked and felt like an amateur asshole once I saw and rode with those guys..

True story, I have a buddy who puts on knee pads and elbow pads and with decent tires he can drag his elbows taking a turn on the highway topping out his bike.. That’s the type of MFer who should be on a 1k.. He moves that thing around like it’s a part of him..

All the best riders I know started small and TOOK THEIR TIME moving up, whether you want to stunt ride, race, or just ride for fun (once you get into the bike scene and start meeting people you’ll see where your interest takes you)..

My mistake? I had an ego and wanted to move up and have a 600 then a 1k and honestly I had no business on a 1k for what I wanted to do.. I was into stunt riding and I know a bunch of badasses who can wheelie and stunt 1k’s like they’re pocket bikes. 600’s are more than enough for that and what happened to me? I moved up too quick, and it was harder for me to learn what I wanted to do and everyone advanced so much faster and I ended up not learning shit as far as stunting because the bigger the bike, the more power and the more careful you have to be, it’s way less forgiving learning on a 600-1k than it is on a 125cc dirt bike etc.. So in the end, my ego and wanting to look cool and fit in with the experienced guys gave me no experience..

So my recommendation is get the 250cc-300cc and see where your interests take you, really learn the bike up and down and until that bike is basically a part of you and you can manipulate it whichever way you want with ease and confidence, DONT MOVE UP.

I plan on riding again but I’m getting myself a 125cc dirt bike first, I’m gona practice on that thing all over the place until I can do everything I want with confidence and ease, then I’ll move my way back up to a 600 so I can FINALLY have fun and stunt with my friends! Lol

I want one, I'd be good with a 750. Wife did no to that being that we have 2 babies. Ironic thing is she used to be in 2 bike clubs and had a gsx-r 750 and a gsx-r 1000

I currently ride a 2016 Honda F6B. It’s hands down the best bike I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a bunch. My first motorcycle was a 1980 Yamaha IT 125. I put that thing through the grinder and it never quit.

I started out riding on a dirtbike at 8 years old . It took me about a week of 1 hour everyday on pavement to learn to shift and balance the bike. Once you get going it's not hard but I had trouble getting the shifting down. My honest recommendation would be to start on a small cc dirtbike just because if you drop a streetbike it could get really expensive.

The newer bikes all have modes that limit the power you could probably get a 1k sportbike and be okay as long as you don't go crazy on the throttle. Actually most 1k's come with the ability to have clutchless upshifts and downshifts. Traction control, anti wheelie.

I really wouldn't get a 300cc bike, like another poster said you'll get bored of it rather quickly.

so as an actual motocross and offroad racer with some track days under me as well on the street side, I can tell you less is more. I have a duke 690 single cylinder and I easily smoke liter plus bike guys in the canyons. The problem with sport bikes is they are boring unless you are operating at speeds at you have no business doing off of a race track.
Same with dirt bikes. Despite being 200 pounds I can ride the wheels off my 250 mx bike vs my 450. Now desert racing, that's another story where you really need a 450. But, bottom line, less is more. As they say its more fun to ride a "slow" bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Hell I got an RC 390 that I zip around on as well and that tops out at around 100 with my on it. But it teaches you to never lost corner speed or momentum. Massive horsepower doesn't force you to learn to ride properly. As a corollary to that, I would highly suggest taking a few courses

Appreciate the advice guys!

MSF courses are cancelled until late July/August here unfortunately due to covid, I would've signed up right away.

I have a friend who got a 650 as his first bike, learned on it, rode it no problem.

Reason I want to get a 250-300 is also, because i don't know if I even like riding yet. Apart from it being slower/"safer", it's cheaper, and I can sell it at the end of summer if it turns out I don't like riding.

Any opinions on sport vs cruisers? I've been seeing a lot of Honda rebels, and Suzuki GS around on craigslist. Wonder if they'd be decent starter bikes.

How about getting the drivers license. Do you get a temp like you do with a car, so you can learn?

Appreciate the advice guys!

MSF courses are cancelled until late July/August here unfortunately due to covid, I would've signed up right away.

I have a friend who got a 650 as his first bike, learned on it, rode it no problem.

Reason I want to get a 250-300 is also, because i don't know if I even like riding yet. Apart from it being slower/"safer", it's cheaper, and I can sell it at the end of summer if it turns out I don't like riding.

Any opinions on sport vs cruisers? I've been seeing a lot of Honda rebels, and Suzuki GS around on craigslist. Wonder if they'd be decent starter bikes.

I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who doesn’t enjoy riding once they learn lol but it’s a fair point..

As far as cruisers or sport, I prefer sport because in my opinion they’re easier to move around and manipulate than a cruiser although cruisers are comfortable all around, after a couple hours of riding my ass and back are killing me on a sport bike... Then again I went from dirtbikes straight to sport bikes and the couple times I went on cruisers it felt awkward (but comfortable lol) so i recommend just getting what appeals more to you.. I know some guys who went from dirt bikes to cruisers and they stunt/wheelie the shit out of their Harleys too, looks so much fucking cooler too in my opinion lol..

I don’t know much about the Honda Rebels or Zuki GS’s so cant really comment on that... I have seen some dope ass Harley Bobbers on Craigslist too for decent price and they look cool as shit, might want to look into those too..

How about getting the drivers license. Do you get a temp like you do with a car, so you can learn?

We have an IDOT MSF course that waives the test for you, and get you a license directly. But I have to wait until late July/August for that.

Want to get a bike, ride it around a parking lot for a few days with a friend who's been riding a while, and then go take the written and riding test if possible.

I know the shops around me actually give lessons. Once you finish you get your license, you just have to take the paperwork to these DMV to get a new license with it on there

I want one, I'd be good with a 750. Wife did no to that being that we have 2 babies. Ironic thing is she used to be in 2 bike clubs and had a gsx-r 750 and a gsx-r 1000
I love my DUCATI's but you just cant go wrong with those GSXR's. My GSXR 1000 was one of my top favorites.

Fuck yeah !!!

I had 11 bikes lol

Now own BMW R1250 GS 2019 , Suzuki GSXR 1000 K9 ( 210 hp )

No car here , i steal my brothers lol

Respect

Been riding 42yrs,got my bike license when I was a junior in HS&my NHRA license in 2000. Best advice I can give is start off small,master the basic skills and then trade up. Better to ride a slow bike fast(IE-300-600cc) than a fast bike slow(1000cc+). Don't let your ego fool you into to starting on anything bigger than a 600. Supersport bikes are not the best to learn on. Buy something slightly used,as you'll end up dumping it at some point whilst learning. Buy the best gear you can afford. Take the MSF course. Avoid large group rides like the plague,it's an accident waiting to happen.
I've owned over 30 street bikes,all modded. Here are a few i have laying in the garage currently.
-09 Busa,1441cc Carpenter engine,240rwhp,BST wheels,etc
-00 Busa built engine,GT3582R turbo,500+rwhp
-L3 GSXR-1K head/cams 195rwhp
-K5 GSXR-1k built engine,GT28R turbo,300rwhp

*EDIT-sorry guys dunno why pics are doubled up,tried editing but I suck at the internet!
IMG_4974.JPG IMG_1089.JPG IMG_4974.JPG IMG_1089.JPG 00m0m_9F80mdm6A6r_1200x900.jpg IMG_4974.JPG IMG_1089.JPG 00m0m_9F80mdm6A6r_1200x900.jpg IMG_4974.JPG IMG_1089.JPG 00m0m_9F80mdm6A6r_1200x900.jpg IMG_5130.JPG IMG_4974.JPG IMG_1089.JPG 00m0m_9F80mdm6A6r_1200x900.jpg IMG_5130.JPG

my first bike was an 05 Fatboy. I bought one and didnt even know how to ride one. I think I learned on a 125cc Honda.. lol.
I never like crotch rockets, most that own them, ride like idiots. I own 3 Harleys now, 08 FatBoy w/a 123 S&S (fast and Loud), 2014 Ultra Classic, and a 74 shovel head chopper. I get more looks and honks on that bike than any other bike I ever owned. Ultra is best for long cruises/trips and you can ride with your girl, and it rides so smooth. Fatboy, just good for bar hopping, poker runs, and rides around the neighborhoods. Damn thing destroys my back, since your kinda hunched over a bit riding all day..

I seriously havent rode in almost 3 years. Its too damn dangerous with all the idiots that dont respect riders. I dont know how many times that no one sees you when their changing lanes, or they just cut you off. Im going to sell 2 Harleys prob by next year and just keep the shovel head..

But in my opinion, go big or go home. I dont see a point in buying a small bike, unless your a small dude.. But learn to ride first, take your time learning, take your turns smoothly, and always stay in drivers mirrors so they see you.. and doesn't hurt to put loud pipes on your bike either. Screw em if they say its too loud. Its never too loud..

OP, get a 250-300 if that's what you want. Its fun driving a slow bike fast. I have a 250 and its as fast as most cars on the road and perfect for commuting and weekend rides. You can always get your money back from a 250cc if you decide to get a bigger bike down the road.

Also, as a follow on to my original comment. Consider getting a naked bike over a sport bike. Same basic engine, just better ergonomics as you are more upright. I got ride of all my sport bikes years ago and now stick to naked bikes- duke 690, SM, hell even had two superduke 1290's until I came to my senses.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws