over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT Best Hybrid/Mountin Bikes

dragonfire101

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Was wondering anyone on her bikes. The wife and I are looking to do something together to get some cardio in. Where looking at more of a hybrid bicycle. Will use sometimes on dirt/pine covered trails, but more road. Still want suspension fork in front. Looking to get the best for both and limit is $500 each.

I was thinking something like the Specialized Crosstrail.

**broken link removed**

Anyone have any better suggestions. I want the most bang for the buck under $500.

I be riding about 3 times about 15-20 miles a trip. So 50-60 miles a week.

wont find much better for that price. get her the regular crosstrail and im going to assume your a fairly heavy guy (for biking standards thats anything above 200), so i would at least try to get the sport version bc it has a better set of wheels along with a few other upgrades including the cranks. it has the same double wall rims (the regular has single wall) as the elite model. nothing sucks more than weak as wheels on a mountain bike.

I wouldn't get a hybrid, period. Stick to above-entry level mountain bikes from the big names like Specialized and Trek... the reason is that they're a lot more fun to pedal around, tougher, weigh less, and have heavier duty parts on them than hybrids. Hybrids are really meant for old ladies, bro. Don't be an old lady. ;)

I wouldn't get a hybrid, period. Stick to above-entry level mountain bikes from the big names like Specialized and Trek... the reason is that they're a lot more fun to pedal around, tougher, weigh less, and have heavier duty parts on them than hybrids. Hybrids are really meant for old ladies, bro. Don't be an old lady.

lol...i agree. i would never buy one, and if i recall correctly you have a redline 29er, so i know you wouldnt, but he just wants to take some casual strolls with the wifey. most people buy the cheapest non walmart bike they can and if they get hooked they spend three times as much upgrading to a bike that doesnt suck.

its a time tested and proven method, lets not fuck with it:cool:

I wouldn't get a hybrid, period. Stick to above-entry level mountain bikes from the big names like Specialized and Trek... the reason is that they're a lot more fun to pedal around, tougher, weigh less, and have heavier duty parts on them than hybrids. Hybrids are really meant for old ladies, bro. Don't be an old lady

So shoudl I just get a regular moutain bike and change the tires to more street friendly if riding on the road more. Do you have any suggetions.

so i would at least try to get the sport version bc it has a better set of wheels along with a few other upgrades including the cranks

Funny was looking at the crosstrail sport for myself. Alreay looked at the upgrades since I knew I was heavy.

So maybe get regluar moutain bike instead with set of rims tires for the road.

Try Marin Alps series

Hybrids are definitly lighter than mountains bikes as most frames are aluminum with carbon forks and or all carbon fiber. Given the structural needs of a mountain bikes carbon components are pretty much out of the question. Additionally hybrids have no suspension and smaller wheels which also dramatically reduces weight.

I like the Marin Alp series. I think they have slightly better components than the specialized. Slightly more expensive but super light.

i like cannondale or trek full suspension.. it makes walking the next day alot nicer

lol...i agree. i would never buy one, and if i recall correctly you have a redline 29er, so i know you wouldnt, but he just wants to take some casual strolls with the wifey. most people buy the cheapest non walmart bike they can and if they get hooked they spend three times as much upgrading to a bike that doesnt suck.

its a time tested and proven method, lets not fuck with it:cool:

Good memory, bro. I do have a redline 29er. I'm impressed that you know these things! I know I'm kind of push people towards mountain bikes, but man, I'm telling you, hybrids suck. And yes, it is a time tested proven method ;)

Last edited:
So shoudl I just get a regular moutain bike and change the tires to more street friendly if riding on the road more. Do you have any suggetions.

Yeah, that's actually what I did with mine. I got a regular (well, to me regular) mountain bike and put street tires on it... That's what I'd do, if it were me. The guy above saying that hybrids are carbon fiber doesn't know that he doesn't know... bikes with carbon fiber frames cost more than you'd want to spend. Hybrids -- in general -- are heavy old people bikes. A mountain bike is a lot more fun, and can be had for the same price. Check out this website:
**broken link removed**

Something like that. I've had 4 of these specialized hard rocks, and used, abused, and rode them all into the dirt. The last one I had I actually sold for $150 after riding it for 4 years using it for god knows what... jumping off/riding down staircases, rock gardens, curb hopping, throwing it into the back of my truck time and time again, and still worked like a charm. They can take abuse, is my point. You'll taco a hybrid rim riding it hard, and break parts. Just trust me bro

Yeah, that's actually what I did with mine. I got a regular (well, to me regular) mountain bike and put street tires on it... That's what I'd do, if it were me. The guy above saying that hybrids are carbon fiber doesn't know that he doesn't know... bikes with carbon fiber frames cost more than you'd want to spend. Hybrids -- in general -- are heavy old people bikes. A mountain bike is a lot more fun, and can be had for the same price. Check out this website:
**broken link removed**

Something like that. I've had 4 of these specialized hard rocks, and used, abused, and rode them all into the dirt. The last one I had I actually sold for $150 after riding it for 4 years using it for god knows what... jumping off/riding down staircases, rock gardens, curb hopping, throwing it into the back of my truck time and time again, and still worked like a charm. They can take abuse, is my point. You'll taco a hybrid rim riding it hard, and break parts. Just trust me bro

So instead of this Specialized Crosstrail Sport below better off with a Hardrock with say a hybrid type tire. I was looking at the Hardrock.

**broken link removed**

hybrid tire

**broken link removed**

or more road type tire

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
So instead of this Specialized Crosstrail Sport below better off with a Hardrock with say a hybrid type tire. I was looking at the Hardrock.

**broken link removed**

hybrid tire

**broken link removed**

Hardrocks are great entry level bikes. Be hard to find a better all arounder.

Oh, and Performancebike.com has tons of cheap (but good) semi-slicks for the city and paved roads.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Well I bought this bike for the wife a local bike dealer. They put more of a hybrid tire by Kendra on the bike since she will be on the road more , but tire can handle some easy dirt gravel/trails. She wanted the SRAM Grip shifters and a better seat which they did not charge to switch out.

After taxes it was just under $400.

**broken link removed**

I will probably get the hardrock.

Last edited:
Well I bought this bike for the wife a local bike dealer. They put more of a hybrid tire by Kendra on the bike since she will be on the road more , but tire can handle some easy dirt gravel/trails. She wanted the SRAM Grip shifters and a better seat which they did not charge to switch out.

After taxes it was just under $400.

**broken link removed**

I will probably get the hardtail sport.

Nice! Have fun riding together.

I wrote hardtail, that's funny. I must of been thinking of something else.

I meant Hardrock sport. This one here.

**broken link removed**

you've done good. Remember to take a test ride... and if you like the feel of a trek bike (www.trekbikes.com) instead of a specialized, which I've heard people say before (I used to work as a bike salesman), then by all means get one instead.

dude go to ibexbikes.com and seriously consider the alpine 550. i dont think you will find better for the money. your buying directly from the manufacturer so your getting more for less.has rock shox fork, sram x5, bb5 disc brakes (u want disc brakes) and is all around a very good choice for ur first mtb.

if your hesitant to order a bike online, dont be, the guys at ibex are awesome and go the extra mile to make you happy. the hardrock is good but you will get better components with the alpine 550.

if your hesitant to order a bike online, dont be, the guys at ibex are awesome and go the extra mile to make you happy.

I used to be big on mountain biking until I kept getting hurt too often. The only place to buy a bike is online. Buying from an LBS (local bike store) is a rip off. I got my 2005 Ironhorse Sunday at the end of 2005 (best time to buy a bike is off season, as in winter) for $2500 that's $1500 under retail. If I bought that bike at an LBS it would have been the full price of $4000.

i hear you man, i had to chill on the mtb because of fear of injuries, but it is just so much fun when you have a bad ass bike and trail,

its crazy to think that a good mtb can range from 2-6k, costs as much as a motorcyle.

my favorite bike was a cannondale rush...loved that bike.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity