advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT- Digital SLR Cameras. Nikon or Canon?

mytreefiddy

IFBB PRO / Featured Member / Verified Customer
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
looking to purchase a really good camera.....always had a point n shoot but wanting to upgrade finally.... I know nothing about em'.... doing some research on a Nikon D3100 or a Canon EOS Rebel.... any suggestions??

looking to purchase a really good camera.....always had a point n shoot but wanting to upgrade finally.... I know nothing about em'.... doing some research on a Nikon D3100 or a Canon EOS Rebel.... any suggestions??

There are deals to be had for the Canon T3i right now. I'd think that would be a good option for a DSLR noob to learn on before stepping up and dropping serious $$$.

I am a canon fan... T3i is an amazing camera, won't hurt the pocket too much and if you wanted to upgrade the lens you will have some cash left over.

It will boil down to preference and price for you, both are great brands and products but at the end of the day it's what you want. Think about if you ever plan on new lenses or other accessories and determine what is more realistic for your style or plan of shooting.

My wife has the 5D Mark III. It's incredible. Takes 1080p video too.

From what we've learned, Nikon's regular lenses have better glass than Canon's, but Canon has L-glass lenses that are far superior to both. They are expensive though so it depends on if it's worth it to you to spend that kind of dough.

I personally like Canon better. I find the menus, options and setting are more intuitive and easier to navigate. Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either, just going to be personal preference. Find a camera store and go play with each one, some stores will even let you rent them. That would be my suggestion.

There are deals to be had for the Canon T3i right now. I'd think that would be a good option for a DSLR noob to learn on before stepping up and dropping serious $$$.

Yes you are correct with the deals....Best Buy has it for $450.00 with the free case....I am a noob and I don't want to spend more than $500.... Looks like the T3 is the one....

What's the difference between a T3 and a T3i??

Thanks fellas for your input!

Last edited:
Yes you are correct with the deals....Best Buy has it for $450.00 with the free case....I am a noob and I don't want to spend more than $500.... Looks like the T3 is the one....

What's the difference between a T3 and a T3i??

Thanks fellas for your input!

Well, the "i", of course. :cool: Have fun with it!

Canon!! Love it! Takes great pictures!!!

Attachments

• Hummingbird4crom.jpg
    Hummingbird4crom.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 134
I am a HUGE Canon fan. I do a ton of wildlife photography and was looking at the T3-i but settled on the SX-50 Powershot because of the 50 power zoom. The difference between the regular T3 and the T3-i is megapixels . The more megapixels you have the larger you can enlarge your pics and not lose clarity. I would plan on spending in the range of $1100 for the T3-i and a high power telephoto lens. For me the SX-50 on sale for $388 was everything I wanted and I don't have to change any lenses. I will include a pic here for your review that I took with the SX-50.

Attachments

• 232323232-fp73475-nu=764--5---255-WSNRCG=3494;97977346nu0mrj.jpg
    232323232-fp73475-nu=764--5---255-WSNRCG=3494;97977346nu0mrj.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 131
getting into the upper end nikons optical quality is better. i think canon is easier to use. some of their point and shoots take damn good quality pictures. unless you plan on taking a 400x400 photo from 40k feet theres no need for some crazy 120mega pixel camera.

i'd say re evaluate how much you want to spend and how much time you have to learn as well. when i switched to dslr it was a lot different than just unplugging a sd card and uploading photos. it wasnt really a simple task anymore.

I'm not too concerned with the zoom.....I think i'm sold on that EOS T3....just looking to take good quality pics with an "entry level" type DSLR.
Tom & Rene.....awesome pics guys!...Rene tell me that was with an EOS T3!

The t3 is an entry level dslr. It lacks a lot of features so I'd definitely stick with the t3i. Nikon's camera have much better dynamic range than Canon. Nikon's quality glass is just as good as Canon's L glass although it does tend to be more expensive. Typically Nikon's are better for photographs especially if you mess up exposure as you can pull shadows without a getting a ton of noise. Canons tend to be much better at video .

You're going to find people that are fans of both brands. Its like anything else, Apple vs Android, Chevy vs Ford, etc.
You really just have to play around with models from each brand to see what suits you.
My girl and I use Nikon, just personal preference.

It depends on what you plan to use it for. As has been said before, Canon's are exceptional for video, and Nikon's tend to be a bit better for stills, at least at the entry level. I personally have experience with the T3i and I thought it was great. Very easy to use even if you are terrible with technology like me. I know a girl who uses a Nikon something or other for amateur photography and her photos turn out incredible. One thing to consider is that these days even the most basic of photos are run through editing suites like Photoshop for tough ups to lighting/exposure/contrast and knowing how to use one of the editors make a huge difference in the quality of your photos.

These are some of her photos to give some examples.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Truth is if you're a beginner in the DSLR market you can't go wrong with either one. Both have been used by professionals for decades and are more capable than 99% of the people will be at making photographs. Sony is another good option if you're not thinking about making photography more than a hobby.

I say choose one and once you get used to it's controls it will be your favorite. I'm partial to Nikons since I have used them for years and can pick any one up and start shooting away. In any case, once you get into the hobby a little bit, you will find out that it's all about the glass (lenses) and really nothing to do with the body. Have fun.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws