over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT... hearing aids

I work around heavy machinery and go to concerts all the time myself and don’t wear protection and I find myself saying “What” all the time now.

Yep. Seems like I was always asking people what they were saying every dang time I was spoken too. Sometimes had to repeat themselves multiple times. Get this, I've actually gotten pretty dang good at reading peoples lips as a way of knowing what they are saying, true story.

And phone calls... I could never get through one efficiently. Way to hard to hear whoever was on the other end. And if I did take a phone call it would have to be in the perfect conditions... not driving, nobody having a conversation around me, no noise from radios, tv etc.

For all you good bros talking about having a hard time hearing, go get it checked out. Hopefully you get a cleaning and are back to normal without further problems.

Get lyric. Game changer for me.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Get lyric. Game changer for me.

This? https://www.phonak.com/us/en/hearing-aids/lyric-invisible-hearing-aids/cost-and-subscription.html

Wondering what the cost is like on that. It looks like you have to replace them every few months? Wondering how natural the sound is on this and other hearing aids. Does it ruin music and movies/tv? Wondering if it puts too much emphasis on certain frequencies and produces an unnatural sound.

Last edited:
This? https://www.phonak.com/us/en/hearing-aids/lyric-invisible-hearing-aids/cost-and-subscription.html

Wondering what the cost is like on that. It looks like you have to replace them every few months? Wondering how natural the sound is on this and other hearing aids. Does it ruin music and movies/tv? Wondering if it puts too much emphasis on certain frequencies and produces an unnatural sound.
yes I got them about a year ago and they are a game-changer for me. Completely normal sound no Distortion everything sounds as it should. They cost $3,000 a year for the subscription and are replaced as often as they need to be. Typically mine last about 6-8 weeks. The frequency can be specifically custom tailored to your hearing impairment issues. It's really no problem to have them taken out and put them in by an audiologist and requires very little time or effort. I highly recommend them!

Last edited:
yes I got them about a year ago and they are a game-changer for me. Completely normal sound no Distortion everything sounds as it should. They cost $3,000 a year for the subscription and are replaced as often as they need to be. Typically mine last about 6-8 weeks. The frequency can be specifically custom tailored to your hearing impairment issues. It's really no problem to have them taken out and put them in by an audiologist and requires very little time or effort. I highly recommend them!

Ok, so when you listen to music and watch a movie/tv the sound is like it should be and not unnatural? That is the only thing that worries me. I figure that if it amplifies frequencies that involve speech that it might make the sound unnatural and artificial sounding. Seems that they merely amplify the frequencies that your hearing is impaired and so that their volume is back to where it should be ,and that the frequencies you can hear well are left alone? Is that about how it works? Ideally it would be something like setting your EQ on the stereo so that all the frequencies are at the same level to your ear.

So you cannot take them in and out on your own, they are so far inside the ear canal that it isn't possible to do it on you own?

Last edited:
Ok, so when you listen to music and watch a movie/tv the sound is like it should be and not unnatural? That is the only thing that worries me. I figure that if it amplifies frequencies that involve speech that it might make the sound unnatural and artificial sounding. Seems that they merely amplify the frequencies that your hearing is impaired and so that their volume is back to where it should be ,and that the frequencies you can hear well are left alone? Is that about how it works? Ideally it would be something like setting your EQ on the stereo so that all the frequencies are at the same level to your ear.

So you cannot take them in and out on your own, they are so far inside the ear canal that it isn't possible to do it on you own?
All sounds are totally natural sounding. There is a devise that comes with the hearing aids that allows you to take them out as you need to. Inserting them requires some practice and probably shouldn't be done on your own until after some time but you can do it. I really think you need to go try them out and see for yourself. I promise they are a game changer!

All sounds are totally natural sounding. There is a devise that comes with the hearing aids that allows you to take them out as you need to. Inserting them requires some practice and probably shouldn't be done on your own until after some time but you can do it. I really think you need to go try them out and see for yourself. I promise they are a game changer!

I would have to pay out of pocket for most of it but it might be worth it if it works so well. Thanks. I will ask the ENT doc I see in a few weeks about it if he thinks I will benefit from a hearing aid. I am hoping maybe I have something blocking and causing some of this ringing in my ears and that maybe it will get better with a cleaning.

As a follow up, $5,450 later I now have hearing aids. they will be here in two weeks. I felt really comfortable with the situation and with what was included (free adjustments in future, warranty that covers anything and everything damage wise, free ear cleaning etc) I didn't even bother shopping around on prices.

Got the rechargable as I didnt want to deal with swapping batteries every week. They did a few more tests and re confirmed my hearing loss. Never imagined I would have hearing aids this early in my life. It is what it is I suppose. I'm really looking forwaard to getting my hearing back.

Last edited:
As a follow up, $5,450 later I now have hearing aids. they will be here in two weeks. I felt really comfortable with the situation and with what was included (free adjustments in future, warranty that covers anything and everything damage wise, free ear cleaning etc) I didn't even bother shopping around on prices.

Got the rechargable as I didnt want to deal with swapping batteries every week. They did a few more tests and re confirmed my hearing loss. Never imagined I would have hearing aids this early in my life. It is what it is I suppose. I'm really looking forwaard to getting my hearing back.

So after they cleaned your ears out you feel like the ringing went away or at least reduced in volume? That is my main concern now. It is driving me nuts.

So after they cleaned your ears out you feel like the ringing went away or at least reduced in volume? That is my main concern now. It is driving me nuts.

Yes ringing went way way down. And when the infection in left ear was cleared by antibiotics it got even better.

Better to the point now when I am asked if there is still ringing in my ears, I have to concentrate and listen for it to make sure its still there. And it is still there but I don't notice it like I did before. Hopefully the ear cleaning has the same effect for you buddY. Huge relief when it disapears.

I was literally just wondering how this ended up going for you, and I'm glad you made the decision to get the hearing aids!

I feel like age is irrelevant when it comes to something like this, what matters most is quality and ease of life. Looking forward to more updates as I know this is something I need to do myself!

I was literally just wondering how this ended up going for you, and I'm glad you made the decision to get the hearing aids!

I feel like age is irrelevant when it comes to something like this, what matters most is quality and ease of life. Looking forward to more updates as I know this is something I need to do myself!

I agree completely buddy. Thanks for checking back in. I will definitely update with how it goes and what improvements I notice when they get here in a couple weeks.

According to the doctor there it will be night and day difference, even with me thinking I can hear okay now. She explained it as a "you will be amazed to see what happens next" situation

Yes ringing went way way down. And when the infection in left ear was cleared by antibiotics it got even better.

Better to the point now when I am asked if there is still ringing in my ears, I have to concentrate and listen for it to make sure its still there. And it is still there but I don't notice it like I did before. Hopefully the ear cleaning has the same effect for you buddY. Huge relief when it disapears.

Whew. I sure hope so! That gives me hope. I have to wait several more weeks though before I get in to see him. Its been going on now for a long long time though so I can wait a bit longer. Mine must not be an infection otherwise I would have known by now since the ringing has been going on for nearly a year or so. really had ringing for many years, just not so loud. It has gotten louder.

I agree completely buddy. Thanks for checking back in. I will definitely update with how it goes and what improvements I notice when they get here in a couple weeks.

According to the doctor there it will be night and day difference, even with me thinking I can hear okay now. She explained it as a "you will be amazed to see what happens next" situation

If you are a listener of music, can you tell us how the stereo sounds now? Ive got a decent mid level audiophile grade sound system I listen to and am afraid the hearing aids might ruin the sound. Guess I could take them out for some things.

If you are a listener of music, can you tell us how the stereo sounds now? Ive got a decent mid level audiophile grade sound system I listen to and am afraid the hearing aids might ruin the sound. Guess I could take them out for some things.

Dude, the technology behind these new hearing aids is beyond impressive. They have different styles of hearing aids to suit your lifestyle. Funny you mention music, if you love music, especially live concerts they make a hearing aid especially for that. It enhances the sound, makes it crisper, more vibrant. The doc said listening to music through one of them will be a whole new experience. And of course it helps just general hearing like back ground noises, person to person conversation, high and low pitches.

Basically, every different sfyle of hearing aid does the basic to get you hearing again. But each one is different in the sense they all have their own "super power". Like I mentioned, one of them being music enhancement.

They have one that helps specifically with person to person talking. Let's say you were in a loud restaraunt at a big table full of people... this one will zero in on the person you are looking at and talking to and dull every other noise out so you can really focus on just the one person you are talking to. Its fricking wild maldorf, truly amazing how they work nowadays. If you get to the point to where you need hearing aids, you will be fascinated at what they will tell you is available. I figured a hearing aid was a hearing aid, and all they do is help you her better... I was wrong. They do so much more than what I assume most people think they do.

I went with a hearing aid that does a little bit of everything, it wasn't the cadilac of hearing aids, but it wasn't the cheap option standard that some people get. For what I do and need it seemed like the best option. We will see buddy. I will keep you posted when it comes in a couple weeks.

Also, I'm interested in what they find out about yours, keep in touch please.

Last edited:
Dude, the technology behind these new hearing aids is beyond impressive. They have different styles of hearing aids to suit your lifestyle. Funny you mention music, if you love music, especially live concerts they make a hearing aid especially for that. It enhances the sound, makes it crisper, more vibrant. The doc said listening to music through one of them will be a whole new experience. And of course it helps just general hearing like back ground noises, person to person conversation, high and low pitches.

Basically, every different sfyle of hearing aid does the basic to get you hearing again. But each one is different in the sense they all have their own "super power". Like I mentioned, one of them being music enhancement.

They have one that helps specifically with person to person talking. Let's say you were in a loud restaraunt at a big table full of people... this one will zero in on the person you are looking at and talking to and dull every other noise out so you can really focus on just the one person you are talking to. Its fricking wild maldorf, truly amazing how they work nowadays. If you get to the point to where you need hearing aids, you will be fascinated at what they will tell you is available. I figured a hearing aid was a hearing aid, and all they do is help you her better... I was wrong. They do so much more than what I assume most people think they do.

I went with a hearing aid that does a little bit of everything, it wasn't the cadilac of hearing aids, but it wasn't the cheap option standard that some people get. For what I do and need it seemed like the best option. We will see buddy. I will keep you posted when it comes in a couple weeks.

Also, I'm interested in what they find out about yours, keep in touch please.

Wow, I didn't know about the hearing aids specialization. That is pretty cool. I will have to see what they say my hearing loss level is. I feel like it isn't too bad yet, but the ringing is terrible. The one thing I do have trouble hearing sometimes is when I am having a conversation where there is a lot of background noise like a restaurant. Female voices are tougher for me, that higher frequency. Of course both of my kids are girls so I am always trying to hear 3 women talk.

I guess if you had lots of money to blow you would buy one set of hearing aids for music and another for conversation etc. The set that you bought, is it like the lyric where is sits real deep in the canal and you don't really take it out, or is it more like the traditional?

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know about the hearing aids specialization. That is pretty cool. I will have to see what they say my hearing loss level is. I feel like it isn't too bad yet, but the ringing is terrible. The one thing I do have trouble hearing sometimes is when I am having a conversation where there is a lot of background noise like a restaurant. Female voices are tougher for me, that higher frequency. Of course both of my kids are girls so I am always trying to hear 3 women talk.

I guess if you had lots of money to blow you would buy one set of hearing aids for music and another for conversation etc. The set that you bought, is it like the lyric where is sits real deep in the canal and you don't really take it out, or is it more like the traditional?

The one I bought is the typical standard wrap around the back on the ear style. But they are very small. And to add to making it as unnoticeable as possible, they match the color of the unit to your hair color. Essentially it is hardly noticeable. They are also very comfortable. I put one on when the consultation first started, and within a few minutes I forgot it was even there. Very comfortable, can even wear glasses without interfering... in my case, safety glasses at work.

I also forgot to mention, as you age and your hearing gets worse you can take then back in and the doctor can re tune them to bring your hearing back up. This was also “free” (the re tunes) for the rest of my life. Which is nice as it is the only hearing aid I will ever have to buy. So $5,450 spent will be the first and last money I will ever have to spend on hearing. Remember, free ear cleanings, free replacement of units, free hearing test, free consultations from here on.

Let me know if you have any other questions maldorf or anyone else.

Last edited:
The one I bought is the typical standard wrap around the back on the ear style. But they are very small. And to add to making it as unnoticeable as possible, they match the color of the unit to your hair color. Essentially it is hardly noticeable. They are also very comfortable. I put one on when the consultation first started, and within a few minutes I forgot it was even there. Very comfortable, can even wear glasses without interfering... in my case, safety glasses at work.

I also forgot to mention, as you age and your hearing gets worse you can take then back in and the doctor can re tune them to bring your hearing back up. This was also “free” (the re tunes) for the rest of my life. Which is nice as it is the only hearing aid I will ever have to buy. So $5,450 spent will be the first and last money I will ever have to spend on hearing. Remember, free ear cleanings, free replacement of units, free hearing test, free consultations from here on.

Let me know if you have any other questions maldorf or anyone else.

Most people don't notice that I have them. I've had co-workers that have seen me every day for a few years and didn't know I was wearing them until I mentioned it.

Saw the ENT doctor today

Real good doctor I was able to see. I saw him about 8 years ago when I was thinking about having my deviated septum fixed. He graduated from Harvard Medical school.

He really talked to me a lot and explained things well. Great guy. He first looked in my ears and they were both very clear, so no blockages. He then had a nice lady do a hearing test and that came back with some hearing loss but nothing bad enough that he felt hearing aids would be necessary. He showed me the graph she made and my hearing dropped down at the 4000 mark on the graph which is where he said typical hearing loss happens. Both ears were basically the same so that was good, didn't indicate any serious problems. He also mentioned some hearing problems can be genetic.

His recommendation is to wear hearing protection whenever around loud noises. So wear ear muffs even when mowing the lawn. The mower is loud enough to cause damage. I just ordered these earplugs for the concerts I plan on attending next year.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019M576XW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I hope those work ok and don't ruin the sound too much. They are supposed to filter out all frequencies the same amount so that the EQ is "flat", not really affected.

My hearing loss is in the typical higher frequency range such as the female voice. It really isn't that bad yet but as he educated me, if I don't make some changes now it will be bad enough to require hearing aids later in life.

The tinnitus he said was in the nerve and really nothing that can be done. He did say that the ringing might lower in volume if I stop exposing myself to loud noises. He takes it so far that at home he wears earplugs when he runs the coffee grinder. He explained that over the years the damage just keeps adding up. He has seen people have permanent hearing loss from just ONE CONCERT!

So I plan on wearing the earmuffs I use for shooting when I mow the grass and then when I go to concerts I will wear those earplugs I ordered. Those are the big source of loud noise for me. I play my car and home stereos kinda loud so I may turn those down some as well.

Last edited:
Good deal Buddy. Glad you don't have a sufficient amount of hearing loss to the point of being in need of hearing aids.

I was basically told the same thing about ear protection, anything loudish can and will cause hearing loss if exposed to for extended or repeated times. Kind of an eye opener, isnt it?

Glad you went and checked it out. Now you know where you sit with the sitiation and what you can do to better and or prevent problems in the future.

Next Thursday I go and pick up my hearing aids. I'm looking forward to them actually. Will update this thread with how it goes and how much it helps, in case anyone is interested.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws