over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT , quick safety lesson

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Had a close call yesterday its one of those things i thank god i was wearing my PPE.
While hogging off some 4340 on a mill to make a set of guage blocks this chip shot up at seemingly faster than the speed of light and imbedded into my safety glasses , it was hot enough to melt and get stuck their.

I have no doubt that had i not been wearing my glases id now be blind in my right eye

Just some food for thought guys , this goes for little stuff like triming brush or weedeating , you dont have to work in an industrial setting to think about your eye and ear protection

Attachments

• safety glasses.jpg
    safety glasses.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 221
Wow. Glad to know you were wearing your safety glasses and avoided a very painful accident.

One of my close childhood friends is a carpenter and he messed up with a table saw and now only has his thumb on his left hand. Cut straight through all his digits. So these things do happen if you arent careful.

Safety regulations/legislation/learning etc. is much improved, and continues to get better, but it's still up to the end user to buy in. Good on you for wearing those, even if they don't look particularly "cool".

Safety regulations/legislation/learning etc. is much improved, and continues to get better, but it's still up to the end user to buy in. Good on you for wearing those, even if they don't look particularly "cool".

I wear that particular type because they are comfortable and don't cause headaches from distortion , this allows me to wear them all day and basicly forget their even their.

For those that dont know , when steel is cut off with another piece of steel the chip that comes off is basicly an tiny serated razor blade , those little fuckers have cause me to get stiches more than once from just brushing against them , this one came off and was very hot , they turn blue as they cool and was hauling ass , no doubt that it would have destroyed my eyeball

dukkitdalaw
I also know a guy that cut off two finger with a chop saw , he wasent wearing glasses and when he made the cut he closed his eyes and turned his head and dident realize his hand was in the way , now he has a hard time picking his nose

Definitely good advice. Weedeating, mowing, and etc I won't do without sunglasses on. They have to be the right kind, but sunglasses will do the trick. Anything can fly up and end up in your eye. Even if it doesn't cause damage, it will irritate the shit out of you til you get it out.

that is a scary pic, im glad for you that you were wearing your glasses.

great reminder, especially for me! I tend to put safety on back burner at times!:banghead:

Every employee who works in a machine shop should be shown that picture on a weekly basis.

BEAST

^:yeahthat:

Wow, Gunmith! Great picture!

Worked in my dad's machine shop as a kid, and never saw a real bad accident. But those spiral cuttings and little chips were everywhere and sharp as hell!

Damn bro ! I'm very happy that you are safe, take care

I don't know you personally, but it made me happy to hear you avoided a horrible injury.

I had to give a presentation on this incident today to out safety monitors , everybody agreed that it would likely have destroyed the eye. I went on to explain that I shoot long range competitions and coach my kids in shooting and having my right eye put out would hav likely ended that , that's also the eye I look through my camera with to photograph my children , that too would be drastically hindered. That also the eye I use to give my wife a little wink when I want to tell her I love her quietly.

So stop and think exactly what all you would lose if you lost an eye.
Just as important if protecting your ears , somthing as simple as a weed eater or lawn mower will cause hearing loss over time. The little foam ear it's are cheap insurance to keep the ability to hear you wife or kids whisper "I love you". I'm only 35 and have permanent hearing loss in both ears for shooting in small buildings and trucks and I have to say it gets old asking people to repeat them selves

you got lucky bro, thank your lucky stars

how does that saying go, "every safety rule was written in blood"

I lost an eye as a kid in an accident so I know first hand how much of a pain it can be to be without one, but I still have trouble getting it through some of my employees heads how important eye protection can be. I showed a few of them this when you posted it and it may have helped (maybe not) but I thank you for this.

On a side note, I'm tired of all these 3D movies that are coming out, I can't see 3D so it's a complete waste for me. Another side effect of loosing my eye.

Damn!!! That's scary! I'm glad you're okay! Thank you for the reality check!!!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131