over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT-Read any good books lately?

gungalunga

Kilo Klub Member / Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Currently reading "A Very Expensive Poison" by Luke Harding. It tells the true story of how Putin dissenter Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned and killed with radioactive polonium in 2006. Gives some background about Putin before he came to power in Russia. Makes me very happy to be an American citizen and not a Russki.....

Recently have read "Playing to the Edge" by former CIA/NSA director Michael Hayden, and "Hard Measures" by former CIA CTC chief Jose Rodriguez. Both give a lot of insight to what really happened before all the controversy started over the CIA Enhanced Interrogation Techniques at CIA black sites and at Guantanamo.

Anyone else read anything good lately? I mostly read nonfiction.

Last edited:
I read a few fiction novels a month. Try to read at least a couple educational / motivational / business books as well.
Reading 'Assassins' by Ted Bell - read a lot of Robert Ludlum (Bourne) and Eric Von Ludbaster (continued the Bourne storyline)
I buy boxes of used paperbacks and sell back or give them away when I am done

The Prince

:star-:ars

I like chapter 8.... conquests by "Criminal Virtue" Kind of reminds me of what Michael Corleone did to the other 4 mob families at the end of "The Godfather".

"Killing the Rising Sun" was a great book by Bill O'Riley. I learned a lot about the war in the pacific during WWII reading that. The Japanese army was ruthless during that time.

I read a few fiction novels a month. Try to read at least a couple educational / motivational / business books as well.
Reading 'Assassins' by Ted Bell - read a lot of Robert Ludlum (Bourne) and Eric Von Ludbaster (continued the Bourne storyline)
I buy boxes of used paperbacks and sell back or give them away when I am done
I read similar books--almost always fiction. I've read the first two Bourne, le Carre's The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (written over 50 years ago and with a VERY surprising end!!!), and all the Jack Reacher books (lots of action). After Reacher, I read the Harry Bosch books, and I'm now going through Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp (CIA contractor) books where I see their American Assassin movie is coming out this fall.

"Killing the Rising Sun" was a great book by Bill O'Riley. I learned a lot about the war in the pacific during WWII reading that. The Japanese army was ruthless during that time.

Sounds like a good book. I'm thinkin' Bill should have been "Killing the Rising Boner" a little more and maybe he wouldn't have had to pay out millions for sexual harassment claims, and he would still have a job :rolleyes:

I read similar books--almost always fiction. I've read the first two Bourne, le Carre's The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (written over 50 years ago and with a VERY surprising end!!!), and all the Jack Reacher books (lots of action). After Reacher, I read the Harry Bosch books, and I'm now going through Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp (CIA contractor) books where I see their American Assassin movie is coming out this fall.

I've only read 1 (maybe 2 can't remember) Jack Reacher - but I am glad you mentioned because I need to get more. I want to read Bosch and Flynn too
Ted Bell is pretty good - he has a British character (Alex Hawke) who was a fighter pilot but was trained by CIA and MI6 - his mother was from Louisiana so it's cool when there are parts out in the sticks that I actually know well.

All Devil Dogs need to read WEB Griffin's Corp Series - actually anyone that likes history because it's about WWII.. He does an excellent job describing Quantico

** I have to initial and date the front and back cover - so I don't read things twice. Before I started doing that I probably was on 2nd chapter a dozen times and realized I had read the damn book already.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good book. I'm thinkin' Bill should have been "Killing the Rising Boner" a little more and maybe he wouldn't have had to pay out millions for sexual harassment claims, and he would still have a job :rolleyes:

I think I would rather read the book "Hard times in the Oval Office", book about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky.

Ted Bell is pretty good - he has a British character (Alex Hawke) who was a fighter pilot but was trained by CIA and MI6 - his mother was from Louisiana so it's cool when there are parts out in the sticks that I actually know well.
I'll definitely check this out!

I read a lot of fiction fantasy novels and a bit of sci-fi. I'm a nerd, through and through :).

Dr. Dyer was an awesome man. I listened to him this morning in fact.

hes helped me understand God and develop my spiritual side much better

just like calves, some people are naturally better spiritual, but with work , you can develop your weaknesses, whether they be emotional, mental, physical , or spiritual.

He has some nice Meditations on youtube you can put in headphones in your phone , mp3, even big screen on computer if you are alone in the house.

hes helped me understand God and develop my spiritual side much better

just like calves, some people are naturally better spiritual, but with work , you can develop your weaknesses, whether they be emotional, mental, physical , or spiritual.

He has some nice Meditations on youtube you can put in headphones in your phone , mp3, even big screen on computer if you are alone in the house.

I agree - Dr. Dyer is one of my favorites. It's much easier now than ever before - to surround yourself with positivity. I first listened to him in the 90's when you had to buy cassettes - lol.
I really love Les Brown - but listen to all of the greats and some that aren't so well known. The great thing is that you can literally listen an unlimited number of times and get something new every time.
Taking care of your "within" is just like taking care of your body. You HAVE to cleanse the stuff that clutters the soul each day - just like you have to shower every day.

The most important card in my wallet is my library card

Am reading now:

Ghosts of Tsavo: Stalking the Mystery Lions of East Africa by Philip Caputo

Experience: a Memoir by Martin Amis

Hell or High Water: Surviving Tibet’s Tsangpo River by Peter Heller

Tales from the Torrid Zone: Travels in the Deep Tropics by Alexander Frater

Just finished:

The Signature Of All Things: A Novel by Elizabeth Gilbert
Loved this book. One of my new faves. Highly recommended.

Seeing Out Louder: Art Criticism 2003 – 2009 by Jerry Saltz
Hard to find but worth reading if you appreciate art.

Song of the Sky by Guy Murchie
About weather and aviation with some memoir. Excellent.

Burning the Days: Recollection by James Salter
A memoir by one of our finest writers. Read this.

Avid Reader: A Life by Robert Gottlieb
About a life reading and editing.

The Stories of John Cheever by John Cheever
One of the few writers of short stories I admire.

The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking by Olivia Laing

Plus I subscribe to and read The New Yorker (have a 2 inch stack of them
I need to read), The Economist (my primary source of news) and The
New York Review of Books
and The London Review of Books every two
weeks.

And I listen to audio books when I am driving. Currently listening to
To Kill a Mockingbird, a novel by Harper Lee

Last edited:
Having never read a whole lot in school, a few years ago I thought I'd checkout some of the classics, and while I didn't like some (Brave New World), I found many of them to be great reads:

Don Quixote
Brothers Karamazov
Crime and Punishment
Kidnapped
Treasure Island
Robinson Crusoe
Oliver Twist
Les' Miserable (abridged version;))
Gulliver's Travels (which is actually four mini-books)
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Around the World in 80 Days

Having never read a whole lot in school, a few years ago I thought I'd checkout some of the classics, and while I didn't like some (Brave New World), I found many of them to be great reads:

Don Quixote
Brothers Karamazov
Crime and Punishment
Kidnapped
Treasure Island
Robinson Crusoe
Oliver Twist
Les' Miserable (abridged version;))
Gulliver's Travels (which is actually four mini-books)
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Around the World in 80 Days

I think it's good to read them again as an adult anyway because you have an entirely different understanding of things. I am glad you posted this because I think I am going to re-read these !

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131