over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT: Shooting Position

tri-terror

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So it's been a while since I've fired a rifle of any kind. Since then I'm quite a bit bulkier in the upper chest and front delts.

I'm having a somewhat difficult time getting my buttstock into a good pocket.
It fits best out on my shoulder but I don't feel that is a great position, I used to be able to get in between shoulder and chest.

Any tips from some of you shooters out there?
Any aftermarket stocks you guys like for the AR platform?
Right now I think I'm going to try out a Magpul OE one. Seems to have a nice pad on the back end.

You should be able to find a position that, for you, allows the pad of the buttstock to sit in the separation between pec and delt, although I've seen some "real deal" shooters in my time who placed the rifle further in slightly on the chest. Magpul makes good kit, but the SOPMOD stock is my personal favorite.

hey tt, i use the magpul prs and found it really works well for me.i usually find myself shooting with my shoulder.

So it's been a while since I've fired a rifle of any kind. Since then I'm quite a bit bulkier in the upper chest and front delts.

I'm having a somewhat difficult time getting my buttstock into a good pocket.
It fits best out on my shoulder but I don't feel that is a great position, I used to be able to get in between shoulder and chest.

Any tips from some of you shooters out there?
Any aftermarket stocks you guys like for the AR platform?
Right now I think I'm going to try out a Magpul OE one. Seems to have a nice pad on the back end.

Bro I would say just go get a feel for it and shoot and see how you do with it. I have been shooting guns since I was about 7yrs old so got a good 21 yrs under my belt lol I don't have a AR-15 but my hunting rifles seem to shoulder the same as so do my shotguns..... I went out and actually got to fire 50 rounds through my Springfield XDS 45 today for the first time had only been able to fire about 5 rounds in the back yard at a time without pissing off the neighbors. Was pretty impressed with the little pistol very accurate little thing and pretty comfortable..... If I had the money and the place to shoot I would go get a AR for the hell of it.

You are probably not squared up to your target enough this puts the weapon at kore of an angle accross your chest putting the pec in the way and forcing the butt to purchase into the pocket of your bicep rather than in the shoulder.

Unless you are shooting some sort of long range in supported match when you need to get a mechanical lock of your elbow/twice of your off hand into the side of the body their is no reason to be situated like this because it drastically limits your field of view off the weapon and where you can swing the weapon to engage multiple targets buy simply rotating your waist , that last part is very important because it allows you to walk with the gun while firing

Adjust your butstock down so its short for you , stand faceing a target bring the gun up to firing position the stock should be short enough that when you bring you cheek down to look though the sites you should be able to almost take the thumb of your firing hand and bring it back to your nose.
Now that your stock is fitted to you stand in front of a mirrior , bring the gun up to firing position and see what you look like , tuck both of your elbows down toward your body narrowing your profile , now slightly bend your knees and lean forward at the hips , this makes your shorter. What you have now effectively done is
1)made a smaller target for the bad guy to shoot at
2)enabled yourself to walk forward
3) given your body a stronger way to absorb and mitigate the recoil
4) enabled yourself to make a fast and easy transition for strong side to weak side letting you cover 180+deg of field without having to move anything more than your waist.

Thier is a lot of different oppinions on where to place your weak hand , I personly do not like a forward vet grip (several reasons) so I pull my hand up against the mag well , this gives me great controle over the gun with less body movement and the hand is already used to being their which makes mag changes faster and more accurate.

Gunsmith, nicely explained. I find that if I put the vertical foregrip as far forward on the rail as possible, and then rather than grab the grip in a "hammer grip," use the grip as a reference point to pull against with my off hand gripping the rail/hand guard canted so that the thumb lies along the bore this allows me to drive the weapon more efficiently from target to target, as well as control recoil efficiently and easily. The off hand is basically in the same position it is when I shoot pistol. I personally don't like grabbing the magwell as I feel it makes it possible to induce either a failure to eject if the off hand inadvertantly covers the ejection port, or a failure to feed if the magazine is flawed and pressure from the off hand effects it's performance. More of a problem with issue mags than PMags, but just something I'd like to avoid. Having said that, I've known guys who use that grip to great effect.

Last edited:
Gunsmith, nicely explained. I find that if I put the vertical foregrip as far forward on the rail as possible, and then rather than grab the grip in a "hammer grip," use the grip as a reference point to pull against with my off hand gripping the rail/hand guard canted so that the thumb lies along the bore this allows me to drive the weapon more efficiently from target to target, as well as control recoil efficiently and easily. The off hand is basically in the same position it is when I shoot pistol. I personally don't like grabbing the magwell as I feel it makes it possible to induce either a failure to eject if the off hand inadvertantly covers the ejection port, or a failure to feed if the magazine is flawed and pressure from the off hand effects it's performance. More of a problem with issue mags than PMags, but just something I'd like to avoid. Having said that, I've known guys who use that grip to great effect.

I tried that exact principle after talking with several guys from MagPul at a class , I could never get comfortable so I eased the grip back until I was comfortable and it was right in front of the mag well then it became an issue with mag changes. I grip the forend the same you do keeping the thumb and index finger on the bore line , I got my ass chewed in Moyock when my weapon choked , the instructor was swearing I was choking the mags , my off hand actually just does but up against the mag well. I'm also a bit spoiled with my Seekins lower but dident have it when I was workin out of town.:(

I've contemplated trying it again with a sort midget forgrip but as an operator buddy of mine told me "not all ARs are gonna have a forgrip but they all have a mag well..
The guys from Magpull dident like a forgrip and had the off hand extended all the way out.

Thanks for the tips I'm going to try that out. I'm just snapping in, in my backyard right now, probably going early in the week to zero my site.

I had never thought to shorten the stock up or that front hand position. I don't have a front rail system yet so no foregrip for me.

I tried that exact principle after talking with several guys from MagPul at a class , I could never get comfortable so I eased the grip back until I was comfortable and it was right in front of the mag well then it became an issue with mag changes. I grip the forend the same you do keeping the thumb and index finger on the bore line , I got my ass chewed in Moyock when my weapon choked , the instructor was swearing I was choking the mags , my off hand actually just does but up against the mag well. I'm also a bit spoiled with my Seekins lower but dident have it when I was workin out of town.:(

I've contemplated trying it again with a sort midget forgrip but as an operator buddy of mine told me "not all ARs are gonna have a forgrip but they all have a mag well..
The guys from Magpull dident like a forgrip and had the off hand extended all the way out.

Yeah, I like the magpul stuff a lot, but I originally stole this from Kyle Lamb. Everyone's a little different though. I'm really tall, so I have long orangutang arms, and I'm sure that factors into it. I'm pretty much built like "Clyde" from the old Clint Eastwood trucker movies...

Oh, and speaking of MagPull, have you tried their AFG? I didn't like it, but I bet it would work good for the positioning you like.

Last edited:
Great posts gun n ghetto, thanx.. I'm learning a lot here... I have a q- in the stance of squaring up to target, is this depending on wearing body armour?

X2 on the magpul prs, bunch of buddies have them, and I like it... I have Vltor shit all on mine, its a good brand as well...

Last edited:
Great posts gun n ghetto, thanx.. I'm learning a lot here... I have a q- in the stance of squaring up to target, is this depending on wearing body armour?

armor or not it doesnt shange the technique , you will have to shorten the stock a little more and dependin g what you are wearing may have to modify the stock to shoulder placement

Oh, and speaking of MagPull, have you tried their AFG? I didn't like it, but I bet it would work good for the positioning you like.

I haven't tried one yet but did give it a couple good looks though , the concept makes a lot of since.

I dont like adding much to my gun though , a light , optic and a few modified control levers is about it.

Ive seen guys show up at schools with so much shit hanging off their AR it out weighed my sniper rig. Red AND green lazer , 3-12 scope at 12 oclock , trijicon dot at 1:30 light , forgrip with battery , 2 mags, its insane

I haven't tried one yet but did give it a couple good looks though , the concept makes a lot of since.

I dont like adding much to my gun though , a light , optic and a few modified control levers is about it.

Ive seen guys show up at schools with so much shit hanging off their AR it out weighed my sniper rig. Red AND green lazer , 3-12 scope at 12 oclock , trijicon dot at 1:30 light , forgrip with battery , 2 mags, its insane

Yeah, I keep expecting to see a rail mount coffee cup holder one of these days...

I liked the idea of the AFG, but it didn't work for me. I transition to my off side a lot in cqb, so I mount my light directly in front of my fore grip so I can use it ambi. The AFG wasn't able to go far enough forward with the light in front for the grip I like. From how you describe your shooting platform, I bet it would work great for you though. Gave mine to a buddy who was deploying, or I'd pass it on to you.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear