over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT - To the guys in Japan

biglift

Newbies
What gyms are good out there or where do you recommend lifting?

Have you ever come across a successful foreign personal trainers?

How are bodybuilders viewed in Japan? Whats your personal experience being big and interacting with the Japanese.

What are the laws in regards to gear and use?

I know its quite a lot of questions. I really appreciate your answers and input though. Thank you!

I ask because I plan on moving to japan for a years time and want to plan accordingly. Gotta figure out how to keep up on my dvd collection and lifting habits.

I love mine - Total Workout in Tokyo. Gold's is here too.

Not personally

How are bodybuilders viewed in Japan? Whats your personal experience being big and interacting with the Japanese.

Like all gaijin, but more so. A positive curiosity. I have fun :D

Like the UK

I know its quite a lot of questions. I really appreciate your answers and input though. Thank you!

I ask because I plan on moving to japan for a years time and want to plan accordingly. Gotta figure out how to keep up on my dvd collection and lifting habits.

Basically neither the people nor the law care about us.
I can't help on sources however, just being up-front.

If anyone knows Japan, its Hawk!!! You will not find better info even if you used google!!

I train at Golds, there are good here, many serious trainees

Yes I have met a couple, but this was many years ago and there were more gaijins in town then

Lot of stares, youger people like it, older people, such as in-laws.... think we are to big

They are personal meds, it is cool. If you speak a bit of Japanese, you can get them couriered to your front door, COD ...that is HG as well

Good luck

Last edited:
You stick out like a sore thumb, many older japanese people in the smaller country towns may come up to you and start touching your muscles, you will be asked to sign stuff! People in Japan mostly buy into the concept that society is more important than the individual, this is good and bad. There are train stations with 1000's of bikes unlocked and no trash on the ground but , people have trouble thinking outside the box, which can be frustrating for us Americans. For example, I coundn't. Get a "black n white milkshake" at mcdonalds because it wasn't on the menu, "half choc and half van" I pleaded- they refused to do it. I'll never forget the time 5 of us, all 200+ lbs, got shuushed on a train by a 5 ft old lady for talking too loud. Japan is a great place, there is frustration and humor around every corner, its like no other place on earth and I feel lucky to have spent time there, you will be a better person for having spent time there, good luck. Enjoy rapungi and shaboya and the guijing bars there. Is Golds Tokyo the gym that is underground in the subway station?

Last edited:
Hawk - really appreciate the info. That was great.

Thanks everyone else for the input too.

I'm going to be working at a gym here in Osaka very soon and my wife currently works at a gym and PTs as well (she's Japanese) so I know the industry here pretty well.

The good news: big cert's like NSCA and ACSM are recognized here (hell, you can even take the NSCA exam here in English which I'm doing this fall (CSCS)).

The bad news: even if you get a cert like the ones above, you still need to get a cert/license from the gym chain you want to PT at. IE, if you have a ACSM and want to PT at Gold's, you still need to get a Gold's Gym license which takes time and money.

If you wanna work as a PT here, get your Japanese down b/c none of the gym-related license tests are in English.

I find this to be another example of close-mindness that this country is known for (exhibit B is cell phone locking to carriers). Hell, I even told my wife it's just a way for the gym companies to extort extra money from PTs and add unnecessary hurtles.

However that being said I do love this country and love living here; no place is perfect.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131