YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Over 40 Guys - Do you schedule off weeks?

I'll be 46 this winter and I don't really schedule any time off. I do take days off if I feel I need it and never train on vacations. I think its more of a mental break than a physical one for me

Im 40 and take pre-programmed time off and when ever I feel its needed. If I need an extra day or two during a particularly hard cycle, I do it. As I get older I am not as hard core about missing days in the gym. There is nothing we as elder statesman cant do that the younget folks can, but getting older just means you have to learn to listen to your body more intently. I train just as hard as the young bucks, but Im taking more time off as well.

I go with how I feel

I try to listen to my body and go with how I feel. I think it's better to miss a day or two here and there and come back stronger the next day, then to push myself through a workout where I'm just not into it. If I am on vacation, I try to someplace to work out, even if it's just cardio.

GOTTA DO IT

It was very hard to schedule a week off but once i did my progress and focus was better when I got back, I take a week off twice a year, and I am 50.

I'm 47 . I've had to take "forced layoffs" because of injuries, (thank goodness those have been few and far between). However, for the most part, I have periods where I go thru a "de-load". Those usually last about 7-10 days. During these de-loads, I'm training 3 x week, doing total body workouts with light to moderate levels of resistance. I've utilized several different training protocals over the course of my many years of training, most recently the DC method. Currently I'm following a training regiment that was developed for me personally by Jamie Hale (www.maxcondition.com). He has me doing a 4 week blast followed by a one week de-load routine as described above. For me I have found that if I want to continously make gains, then it's best to stay slightly "undertrained", hence the scheduled de-load sessions. Hope this helps

i'm 47. I work out 7 days week, and do not schedule vacations from it. It's like breathing. why would i want a break from it?

I'm 31 and train very heavy three times a week. I burn out easily lately where I get no pump and very sleeepy alot. Then took week off. I now noticed i'm growing again and look less bloatEd. Seems I need it Every few months. Think I just learned sumin about my body. Weird less days I train more results I get maybe mentzer had good plan back in the day.

i promise you for a lusy three days..screw it and enjoy yourself..i have contemplated this dilemma since the dawn of time and myself just turned 40 realize that there is no way in hell to enjoy yourself and will be miserable as well those around you..the only way to enjoy yourself is to truly let go as well the anxiety that goes along with it..

I definetly take a week to 10days off every 90days, does a body good especially after 40:eek:

I do not take scheduled days off, but let them happen "organically". I typically am training 5.5 days a week. I will typically miss one day a week and every other week miss two days. It can be because of being stuck in the office, travel or going to the lake etc.

Even on vacation, I try to find a gym. I think I got so far behind taking off a year with health issues, I am so happy to be in the gym I don't want a week off. I do not train near as heavy as in the past and that may reduce my need for a break, I don't really know. One thing I do is hold pretty tight to a fifty minute weight training, 30 min cardio daily. No more two hour "puke" sessions for me, I will leave that to you younger bucks.

I am planning a trip to the beach in the next couple of weeks and I do think the place I will end up is twenty miles from gym, so I may take that week off just to see what it does. Chasing my Chihuahuas up and down the beach is usually enough exercise!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear