it looks cool....for a baseball player or olympic swimmer

but honestly......for an ADVANCED bodybuilder
that workout would be a disaster waiting to happen
its got INJURY writtin all over it

ALL my shoulder moverments are short and powerful

none of this "rotating" bullshit, that makes me wince just watching

sorry man

:cool:
Yeah you have to go about it pretty slowly but i swear on everything rear delts get a real good hit from this and ive added a nice amount of size in the last 3 months by throwing this in with some heavy military thrown in .....try it even with light weight you feel it ...and overall its one of those things that makes it really hard to cheat...try like some 20lbs dumbells bro!!!!!

it looks cool....for a baseball player or olympic swimmer

but honestly......for an ADVANCED bodybuilder
that workout would be a disaster waiting to happen
its got INJURY writtin all over it

ALL my shoulder moverments are short and powerful

none of this "rotating" bullshit, that makes me wince just watching

sorry man

:cool:
Also i used to play minor league baseball so your spot on on that one....when i played basedball they pretty much wanted us to avoid stuff like this ....but it does work !!!

Original question...

TOM's original question was about "overall shoulder WIDTH"...

If you look at the fiber direction of the shoulder muscles and their insertion point and the rotation of the humerus during a military press, it's LARGELY the "front/anterior" portion of the shoulder doing the work... I think this might translate into better "THICKNESS" (looking front to back or a most muscular) but not so much width (yes, the medial/lateral portion of the shoulder will be activated, but I think more so from a "stabilizing" function).

I agree with Tenny about the rear shoulder if looking at width from a rear pose.

If you are wanting just pure "width" from a front position, again, if I can repeat myself for the ump-teenth time... I want "the most bang for my buck"... this is simply the lateral raise.

The one draw back to lateral raises- as your arms hang down along the body, the resistance is greatly taken off the muscle though.

Solution-
1) Partial ROM at the bottom portion- stop the arms about 30 degree's out from the body... OR....

2) "cross" cable lateral raise- I grab the cable at the bottom of the machine so that the cable goes across the front of my body as I perform the lift... this way, I can let my arm come down a little lower while maintaining direct force on the muscle

amateur

We love anal play here at Babeland**broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed**

for now yes

i'll do bentover laterials 4 sets of 10 to 15 pretty heavy 40or50 bells
then rev. pec deck 4 sets of 25....burn the fuck out of em

Damn Tenny!!! 40 or 50 is heavy as hell for that movement!! I have been using the pec deck to train rear delts... I am gonna try the bentover laterals but always seem to have pain when I do these.

Are there any other movements that are good for rear delt development?

2) Can anyone tell me why all forms of bench pressing (even fairly light weigh) less then the military presses I do bother my left rotator cuff but yet military presses don't bother me at all.

Are you sure it's your rotator cuff?

Benching with a BB kills my AC joint but overhead stuff doesn't hurt at all. I have a bonespur in the AC joint that I need to get shaved down but I'm scared of surgery. lol

I think Dumbells play a major role in shoulder development.. Exploding up, hold in peak contraction for a second, then fight like hell to control the negative motion works the best IMO.. Get the form right.. Then start progressing the weights.. Most of the old timers in my gym have bad rotator cuff issues with many surgerys.. Those were the guys doing alot of behind the neck presses and lat pulldowns.. Something i never did.. And I've never had any shoulder issues.. For maximum width.. I think emphasis should be played on side and rear delts.. And most of all.. Stretch out that fascia!

I don't like seeing a ball and weights in the same exercise. Keep it simple. Heavy presses. I love doing one arm db presses. Only usually do 1 pressing movement per exercise. I might finish using a machine press with high reps.

Lateral raises should go with your pressing movement. Do them before and after... rotate whenever you want.

I love rear laterals on an inclne bench or pec dec.... usually finish with that movement. Rear laterals are trained with back or shoulders... everything is changed as I don't usually have set routines.

And of course traps I usully do one movement.

So for overall width side and rear laterals are key. Added to that 1 heavy pressing movement (my fav being 1 arm db shoulder press).

why would one need to shoulder press?

Surely your front delts get hit hard enough on chest day, rear delts will get worked with back..then if you do side laterals you are working on the heads...

Side Laterals

If I could only do one exercise for shoulders it would be side laterals, some workouts, that is all I might do. I also like smith machine presses and DB presses.

I think my shoulders always look better when I train rear delts too compared to when I don't do them.

My favorite exercise for these is using the high pullies in a cable cross over machine, grab the opposite handles, keep the arms straight. fully extend and flex. 10-25 reps

3 or 4 sets of that and my rear delts are toasted

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner