over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Overcoming Adversity/Obstacles

richiec

Verified Customer / Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I've briefly shared my story with the board a long time ago and have shared it with some members via PM and have been asked to share it again. The previous time was in the members photo forum.

Well here goes lol
Growing up my entire life was dedicated to playing baseball. Like many other children, I had dreams and aspirations of becoming a professional athlete. I just had a few problems, when I was young I was short, stick thin, wasn't fast, didn't have a strong arm, could hit but not for power. But I worked hard, out worked pretty much anyone and everyone on the field. As time passed, I grew a little and put on some weight, not much, but some. I got a little stronger and a tad faster, but was still not as big and fast as others. As my high school career was ending, I was a stout 5'8 165-170 of fury :D
I had developed some speed and strength and was finally becoming who I thought I should've been. I felt like I was giving the proverbial middle finger to all the people who told me I wouldn't make it because of my stature. My parents were and still are my biggest fans, always encouraged me. The major problem in all of this was my need to drink and use drugs :(

I graduated high school and played for the local community college as a starting 3rd baseman, despite catching the last 3 years in high school. From there, I signed a scholarship to play at a 4 year school to finish my college career. Junior yr was the starting 2nd baseman and senior yr the starting catcher. We finished 3rd and 2nd in the nation respectively. During this time, I continued to drink myself into oblivion, blacking out more frequently and not caring about anything. Well, little did I know my life was about to change.

During the summer, I went undrafted and was heart broken and devastated, as the scouts I talked to told me I would go somewhere between the 25-30th round. My life was at a standstill. I got a call to go play independent ball and jumped at it. Played for a few weeks, but it just didn't work out. Came home and my girlfriend of a year broke up with me, devastated! I didn't know what to do, where I was going from there, nothing, so I drank. I got a call one day from a scout I'd been talking to and he asked if I wanted to keep playing, "HELL YES" was my response. Drove to Tampa, signed the contract and on a plane 4 hours later. The Milwaukee Brewers signed me, and I was ecstatic!!! THAT was the middle finger to everyone! Being the good alcoholic I am, I continued to drink, just not as much :rolleyes: We had a banquet that I went to with my roommate and then hit the town afterwards. Charleston WV. Got obliterated, woke up with my eye "glued" shut with blood and not a clue as to what happened. Well, my roommate and I got into a fight with each other and I couldn't remember. I saw him coming in the house with stitches and asked what happened, he told me. I was subsequently released. The next day, by the grace of God, the St Louis Cardinals call and asked if I wanted to keep playing. So on a plane to Davenport Iowa I went. Finished to season with them. Swore off drinking!

Got home, first stop was the liquor store, didn't learn a thing :banghead:
The next 4.5 months are a blur. I went to Orlando for a friends birthday party, this was 2-3 weeks before spring training (Jan 23, 2006). Remember, I am a blackout drunk. I was walking to the convenience store at 3:15ish and didn't make it out of the front yard. Woke up and walked into the house, the neighbors house. His garage was open and I thought it was my buddies place. He thought I was a burglar, came to the kitchen with his 12 gauge. I woke up in the garage with my right pant leg soaked in blood and not a clue to what happened. I was shot point blank with a 12 gauge shotgun. The paper wadding was recovered from inside my leg. Within a few minutes, the police tackled me and put me in handcuffs, thank God a female officer realized I was going nowhere and moved the cuffs to the front. On to ORMC I went. I was placed in the ICU, right in front of the door where new people were being brought in. The doctors wouldn't do a transfusion as my blood alcohol level was hovering around a .3

I had a nice 2.5 month stay in the hospital and 5 surgeries. I wish my story ended there, it does not :)
I then get addicted to painkillers, start using and selling. Went on a year binge with them, overdosing a few times. I was arrested for something unrelated, and thankfully the charges were dropped. I had to get a few more surgeries where I had breast implants put in my legs. I attached pics below. I got clean and started living right. Then it happened again, wrong crowd. Started smoking pot again, popping Xanax's like candy and doing coke on a nightly basis. This went on for nearly a year also. Woke up in the middle of the highway on March 15, 2008 after I feel asleep at the wheel and totaled my car into a semi-truck. Was arrested and charge with DUI, possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, controlled substance (my prescription bottle had the part with my name on it missing even though it was mine). Again, charges were dropped as the office didn't collect the evidence at the scene, thankfully!
This was the point where I had enough. I came to a crossroads in my life. It was at this point where I reached out to my dad (19 yrs sober at that point, 24 now). I have been able to stay clean for the last 8.5 years, married with a 3.5 yr old boy and a daughter that'll be here in 2 months!!! I love my life!

Please see pics, if you a squeamish do not look :D

legs: 4 years ago

Few days ago

SHARE YOUR STORIES

Last edited:
Wow bro, that quite a story. Glad you survived it. Great to see you doing so well, keeping the demons at bay is a life long challenge. Haven't had quite the extremes you have but rode the rollercoaster for sure.

Congrats on the family.

Damn bro. What a story.. Respect.

You're a pretty good writer too;)

Wow bro, that quite a story. Glad you survived it. Great to see you doing so well, keeping the demons at bay is a life long challenge. Haven't had quite the extremes you have but rode the rollercoaster for sure.

Congrats on the family.

That's the truth man

Damn bro. What a story.. Respect.

You're a pretty good writer too;)

Thank you, I didn't want to write too much as people tend to get bored with long stories. Many things omitted to keep others interested

Glad you made the right decision to quit and stay sober.

I just buried my sister last Friday due to an overdose of heroin.

Glad you made the right decision to quit and stay sober.

I just buried my sister last Friday due to an overdose of heroin.

Damn bro, I am sorry to hear this. Praying for you and your family

Small world. I go to the Quad City...now the River Bandits games all the time dude.

You got really far in the sport all things considered. Nothing to be ashamed of with your sports career.

Small world. I go to the Quad City...now the River Bandits games all the time dude.

You got really far in the sport all things considered. Nothing to be ashamed of with your sports career.

haha, I used to watch Rick Ankiel deposit balls in the river during batting practice lol. Fun times man.

I now talk to middle school and high school kids about the potential risks of drinking and using drugs

haha, I used to watch Rick Ankiel deposit balls in the river during batting practice lol. Fun times man.

I now talk to middle school and high school kids about the potential risks of drinking and using drugs

Kudos to you brother !

hey Richie...did you ever talk to the guy that shot you???I mean after the whole thing.

just wondering because youre pretty lucky...coulda shot you in the chest or head.

Glad you shared your story. We both have our awesome left legs. It is a reminder to us both of how far we have come and yet how much farther we have to go. I am thankful for the friendship my man. You are a great man. Keep going and never look back - your doing just fine looking ahead :)

hey Richie...did you ever talk to the guy that shot you???I mean after the whole thing.

just wondering because youre pretty lucky...coulda shot you in the chest or head.

I have not. He doesn't speak English, so I wouldn't be able to lol
My buddy whose house it was has spoken to him a few times and he would ask about me. I did have him apologize countless times for what I did to him.
He had to be hospitalized for heart palpitations after he shot me.

The thing is, NONE of the shot hit my bone! I was wearing jeans, boxers, a camera, cell phone and 2 sets of keys in my pocket when shot and the paper wadding still was inside my leg! The doctor said a .25 inch to the left, right, up or down would've killed me or paralyzed me.

I received a phone call from the state attorney's office in April I believe (this happened Jan 23) saying they were not pursuing charges. I said "I didn't think that was an option". He tells me that I could've been charged with a Home Invasion, Breaking and Entering, Trespassing, Criminal Mischief and something else. He says that they figured I learned my lesson.

Glad you shared your story. We both have our awesome left legs. It is a reminder to us both of how far we have come and yet how much farther we have to go. I am thankful for the friendship my man. You are a great man. Keep going and never look back - your doing just fine looking ahead :)

Mine is the right leg, all my pics are in the mirror lol
Thank you for the kind words Jeff, you are an inspiration man and as you know, we are our biggest competition in this endeavor

I don't know what to tell RichieC I been there. Toured overseas 3 times Desert Storm - work as Social Worker with adults diagnosed with major psychosis and poly substance abuse and /or pedophelia. Contrary to public belief State workers make shit money as my paycheck has decreased $300 week since 2001, due to increase in insurance costs etc. I too shattered my spine in aikijutsu class, broke my left arm clean in half fighting , successful surgery since , tore hip labriium had to relearn how to walk took 2 years, continue to walk around with clean fracture of my cervicle vertebrae . For years I was prescibed narcotic pain killer but since the laws came so strict I had hassle every month at the pharmacy so i went on med to ween off took 2 years to rid myself of withdrawals . Of course I don't drink or get high and at no time in my life have I ever had the desire too. Since age 5 karate, boxing and judo , age 15 more karate , wing chun . Also around then I began studying everything about bodybuilding . My whole life since child was forging my body mind and spirit . Throughout my whole teenage and adult hood I have travelled USA and world studying fighting systems from every country European , Asian - fikipino Indonesian . Modern styles use dan system where I have 18 black belts I shit you not , old school I have my Menkyo in 3 systems and guro in 3 Filipino and one Indonesian . I've also enjoyed savate of France , I've studied the saber , foil even Iroquois Indian fighting . Not to mention I became Army Ranger 1987. I could write a book on that alone - army training , the people , travel and war / combat /action a whole other story that I'll leave to imagination , I still informally teach underground soldiers combat. My point is not to toot my horn but I guess all my life I've valued myself so highly as wanting to be the best at whatever I do - no matter what injuries or tradegy or issues in life that occur my hobbies and dreams sustained me. There is nothing and no force on this planet that will distract me from self development and improvement . I always had something to look for and live for. I never even tasted a beer until I was 35 and I hated it. I live to make the best of myself 24/7 so when I offer my help to another they get the best of me and nothing less. I have no wife no kids my trainings and schools were 8-12 hours day and it took no effort in fact I wake at 2-3am all my life as I can't wait to begin. Of course I retire 9-10 nightly . No wife no kids . I did have a serious woman 10 years but cancer took her at 40. Stress, tradegy , disappointment are part of living . Even to experience suffering is a privilege as it is life . Suffering helps you appreciate all the good things in life . The simple things we sometimes take for granted . Now I'm 50 - I'm smarter, stronger , faster leaner , muscular more tolerant of life than wheni was 25. People ask why I spend so much time discipline and training. Like it should take away??? Bull shot ! ;) I train to enhance life , love training . Getting high and partying to me sucks and bores me. Live life the way you want ! Screw what anyone pressures you to feel! Who cares! Live for you and you will benefit others better because you are you. Don't worry about what other think of you . Look in yourself find what makes you feel happy and then never stop chasing it. Life is a journey , we get one body for 50-100 years . Hey I use aas and hgh - I don't share that with others and I don't consider it cheating . First it's no ones business . Second I cycle , I take breaks my body and mind don't depend on it. I gain and progress between cycles but I enhance my longevity , my performance my recovery with. I also do supps and vitamins and antioxidants but overall I eat clean whole food . If it grows out of ground or has a mommy I eat it. No processed . Point?? Get clean hobbie . Hey I'm poor but I don't steal or intentionally hurt others . I am what I define as a warrior . To me that is defined as one who overcomes his own weakness. Which for all is a daily struggle . Such is life!

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

Last edited:
Richie, I knew from some past posts that there was some problems with addiction and that you played pro baseball. However, I didn't know all that! I'm glad that you finally got the point where you didn't want that life anymore...You sure went for a one hell of a ride first! I'm glad you found the strength to change.

If you find yourself in a moment of weakness you have a lot of people you can call on here! I'll do whatever I can to help...Never hesitate to reach out!!

Congrats on your amazing achievement!!

Thank god it's all in the past you pics looks horrible.

Really disturbing, your good now and remember you still have your leg and doesn't look that bad at all! Just a big scar hopefully has made you stronger and learned from past. We all make mistakes yours really had to hurt and was very intense !

Last edited:
Richie, I knew from some past posts that there was some problems with addiction and that you played pro baseball. However, I didn't know all that! I'm glad that you finally got the point where you didn't want that life anymore...You sure went for a one hell of a ride first! I'm glad you found the strength to change.

If you find yourself in a moment of weakness you have a lot of people you can call on here! I'll do whatever I can to help...Never hesitate to reach out!!

Congrats on your amazing achievement!!

Thank you Bio, that means a lot. I wish I had listened to my fathers warning about drinking and using, as he threw away a professional golf career because of addiction. He played with Paul Azinger, Stewart Cink and a few other big name guys. I mean they used to hang out with each other all the time, my dad just had a big time drinking problem. Unfortunately, we tend to have to learn lessons for ourselves the hard way. I thank God that I went through what I did, if I didn't, I would either be dead or in prison. My life experiences make me who I am today.

Thank god it's all in the past you pics looks horrible.

Really disturbing, your good now and remember you still have your leg and doesn't look that bad at all! Just a big scar hopefully has made you stronger and learned from past. We all make mistakes yours really had to hurt and was very intense !

The pics are very bad, the experience was worse :D
The scar now, is beautiful, to me anyways. Prior to having the tissue expander surgery (breast implants put in my leg), it looked like a shark had bit my leg and there was a gigantic scar. Doctors said the expander surgery was necessary as scar tissue deteriorates. The reason it was so bad is my body rejected the muscle graft, the reason I have a giant scar on my stomach, they tried to use it to replace my quad that was removed. It rejected and I need a few more surgeries.
When I woke up from the final surgery, I cried tears of joy for my new beautiful scars! It is a reminder of my old life, and I'm glad I have it.

is it weird that I was getting hungry looking at the pics/???

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws