over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Overcoming bad Genetics

Alex, this is a good thread.

I have short biceps, but everything else seems to grow well if I throw enough food at it and actually take days off when I should. I don't have the type of genetics that would make me a Lee Priest or something like that, but I am not gonna complain about what I have been given at all.

How many of you are grateful for the genetics you have, even if they aren't Ronnie Coleman's?

Do you know how many people on this earth would love to just be in a position where they could eat what and when they want, and be able to train and be healthy?

We are more fortunate than we could ever imagine.

Bad genetics? That's a hard question...I was 135 lbs graduating high school at about 5 '10.5. Couldn't bench my bodyweight. I'm at my all time highest bodyweight of 245 almost 10 years later....I'm generally the most muscular and strongest at most local "big gyms" or walmart..etc. I go to a bodybuilding show and it all changes....I think what seperates the top guys isn't genetics...genetics can get u a head start...but ultimately it's discipline, determination and consistency that wins shows. Sone guys may hve better genetics, more drugs...but no one will out work me... when most people quit...my OCD brain just wants to keep pushing harder. I do have the grnetic gift of being able to stay lean regardless of what I eat. But it's also a double edge sword making I harder to put on muscle. Not impossible...but harder.

Last edited:
i am happy with mine, they arent the best, they arent the worst.

my waist is tight and my shoulders are pretty wide, my legs are my weak spot but thats what makes the challenge fun.

I don't necessarily think i have bad genetics, i just think i have alot of things working against me.

i mean, i have a large frame, i cant put on muscle rather easily, i am tall (6'0ft) yet have very thick legs which alot of tall BBers dont have.

but i am working against some things.

about 2 years ago i was in a serious car accident driving on the freeway. basically rolled my Ford Explorer going 95mph without wearing a seatbelt. i was ejected out of the car and landed about 50 ft down the road. fractured a bunch of vertebrae and had insane road rash but i landed on my hip pretty hard. i developed a massive hematoma on my left hip that needed to be drained 5 or 6 times. after all of this, my hip has never really recovered to what it looked like. i can tell when i do my posing. it looks like my leftside lower back holds water or excess fat. i have tried on several occasions to get it drained again but nothing is in there. it is just a difficult physical distraction for me and i am self conscious about it

i also have had 2 shoulder surgeries and have lost all my external rotation so when i do my front double bicep or any lat pose, i cant fully flex my left lat like i can my right side. :confused:

damn my physical setbacks

I know some people have way better genetics than me, but slack with effort because they can. However, I seem to find a way to pass thier genetic potential by with hard work, consistent effort, and pushing myself to be better! I wouldn't say have the bad genetics, I would say have good genetics with weaknesses and strengths...play the cards dealt to you to your best ability, usually that is very rewarding with positive changes to your body!

So, am I happy? Yes, because I accept what the challenge and enjoy the journey to test my genetics. I am not bitter to the genetically gifted, I think it is awesome and more awesome if they take advantage of that gift!

And Ronnie Coleman is a freak, however a freak that chose to work his freaking butt off to maximize every bit of it - He is a machine that doesn't slack!

I am enjoying reading this guys....

the bottom line for me is this.. there are people with better genetics and people with worse.. I think most of you guys are in this same boat..

I do the best with what i got and im sure you guys are all the same..

I look at it as this.. If your willing to work hard, be diligent and disciplined.... your going to succeed at anything you do..

Even if you have to work harder than others..

As we get older, we naturally have to work harder... I have gotten to know many good bbers that are older than me and i am inspired by many of them..

The thing about older, mature bbers they are more realistic in what they are trying to accomplish... I guess we just all have to be realistic, give it our best effort and train smart...

Training smart is the key to longevity in the sport.. I say to the younger guys .....pace yourself if you plan to be competing a long time and make the best with what you have..

I think I have GREAT genes!!!

Not because of the way my body is built but rather because of the way my mind was wired. I take the genes I was given and because I refuse to be outworked have made drastic changes in my physique. My determination was a gift from my Dad.

So, most...

How many of you are grateful for the genetics you have, even if they aren't Ronnie Coleman's?

Do you know how many people on this earth would love to just be in a position where they could eat what and when they want, and be able to train and be healthy?

We are more fortunate than we could ever imagine.

I don't think anyone has really complained... just stating their opinions of themselves.

Yes...

I would say genetics have been a gift to me i come from a VERY athletic family.. My grandfather ran track at Texas A&M when they were #1 in the country and had 3 olympians on the team.. My great uncle played for the white sox and i had another uncle who was a two sport athlete in college.. I would say the only downfall i have is that i have never been able to get lean and be in shape... When i was playing in college that was my biggest downfall and i truely thing my career could have extended past college and been a whole lot better during.. I come to find out i have had low test levels for years and i am pretty carb sensitive.. I am now as lean as i have ever been at 310 and i played in college at 255 if that tells you anything.. I cant say enough good things about the person who is helping me achieve this.. I do think its possible to overcome some if not all of our shortcomings, we just have to find an outlet in which to do so..

Thanks for mentioning this part C2- athleticism... if there is one thing from a physical standpoint that has probably helped me a lot is my parents athleticism.... My Dad went to College way back when it was possible to play more than one sport during the year... he played three. He made the final cuts for the New York Yankee's (I have an old B/W of him in a Yankee uniform sitting in the dugout) but he threw his arm out and got cut. My Mom was a swimming champion swimming in the crazy waters of the Michigan UP and today (in her late 70's) goes ice skating three times a week. My brother who is only 5'6 was the Captain of his Community College basketball team (it was "only" Community College, but I think it's quite an accomplishment for his height).

Even though as a kid I was lazy, sports were very natural for me and I made the all-stars in baseball nearly every year and was the Captain of the High School football team... and I never liked sports! I just wanted to lift weights ahahaha

My point is, I think this has helped me in my workouts a lot knowing how to focus on the muscle and have good form. I have a very strong kinesthetic sense which allows me to be "in tune" with my body when lifting. That's how Magic Johnson got his nickname... he had the greatest kinesthetic sense anyone had ever seen- he always knew exactly where everyone was around him despite whatever spins or chaos was going on which enabled to never have a ball stolen and to be able to pass to others that were open for a shot.

Dusty- YES! The mental aspect is SO VALUABLE. I don't know a more determined and analytical person than my Dad... BIG HELP!

Genetics are not what you start with,
they are what you end up with.

I think I have GREAT genes!!!

Not because of the way my body is built but rather because of the way my mind was wired. I take the genes I was given and because I refuse to be outworked have made drastic changes in my physique. My determination was a gift from my Dad.

Some really good posts in this thread. I would consider myself to have great genes for being lean but not good for bulking up. But everyone has the potential to build a great physique. Everyone can be fairly big with effective diet and training etc. Quite a strange one as my dad is about 5ft 5 and my mum 5ft 1 and I am 6ft 2/3. I was always fairly tall and lean. When a teen and in my early 20's I could eat anything and I wouldn't put on fat. It's the same today but my diet is always good so I don't test it. At 20 I would eat good but would go for a chinese buffet atleast 3 times per week and would go through around 3000 cals per time easy.

But I know for me it will just take more time to get as big as I want. I haven't got too long to go. I just wish I was wider. Injured recently so just taking it easy. But gonna go back to the heavy rows and deads etc and I will get closer through time. Made alot of progress in the last few years. I am in this for life so although sometimes I doubt my genes I know I will get to where I want through time and effort.

Everyone likes to think they have it worse off than the guy next to him haha

When I train hard on a smart program I get stronger
When I diet correctly I get leaner/put on size
When I do cardio I get/stay lean and have good checkups at the doctor

My genetics are average but I can't really complain... they are certainly good enough for this hobby. Other guys have it easier(and some have it WAY WAY harder) but until they invent some sort of gene transfer machine that doesn't really concern me.

I agree with Dusty, I have great genes when it come to my mentality. When I do something I go to extremes...good or bad. For as great bodybuilding genes, I am far from it. I work my ass off and still slow to make gains..As I told Alex...I train, eat and think like a bodybuilder...I just don't look like one. I just put my head down, grit my teeth and work as hard as I can everyday...I am a realist...I know it will not happen overnight....just got to put the work and time in!...That is all I can do!:mad:

Everyone likes to think they have it worse off than the guy next to him haha

When I train hard on a smart program I get stronger
When I diet correctly I get leaner/put on size
When I do cardio I get/stay lean and have good checkups at the doctor

My genetics are average but I can't really complain... they are certainly good enough for this hobby. Other guys have it easier(and some have it WAY WAY harder) but until they invent some sort of gene transfer machine that doesn't really concern me.

You're a pretty small guy

i tend to think that i don't have very good genetics. i found out @ 18 years old i had low test, then i did one cycle of 500mg test e for 8 wks (with great pct), been clean ever since and am now 20 and still have low test after a confirmed blood test again. i wanted to do things naturally but i don't know what to do...test is in the mid 200's.

when i started, i was 15 yrs old, 240lbs, 30%+ BF, couldn't bench the bar...now i am 190lbs 13-14% BF but i seriously diet and train like no other...eat the same 5-6 foods day in day out (1 day a week cheat).

no one in my entire family is athletic, or ever was in their younger days. everyone is either 15-20lbs overweight or very overweight (no one else trains, well my dad did back in the 60's but just chest and arms lol, wasn't very serious)

don't want to compete ever, but shit some of my buddies are a lot bigger than me and train and eat halfass...i put on fat insanely easy eating 3k clean cals/day. makes me discouraged a lot but i don't have anything else to do so why not.

Like some others stated, I very grateful to have all my limbs,not be blind and have 100% work hard ethic.

Genes are average to slightly below. The only 1 complaint about my genes is, I wish the fat on my chest would leave like all the other place should, Lol.

If Dante has a problem with my giving advice on his program I'll cease and desist.

I'm the first to admit that I don't have the physique that I should for the amount of time that I've put into this. You can chalk it up to a number of things(that are mostly nobody's business and I'm not putting my issues out there since excuses are like assholes) but I'll bottom line it... man up and say I didn't get it done when I should have. My physical genetics are fine and like I said... when I'm focused on this hobby I do alright, I don't really understand what part of my post about MYSELF you had issue with but I don't need or want an explanation.

So now that we agree that I suck... back on topic? If you wish to continue to rip on me feel free to write me a long PM that I'll likely ignore.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws