over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Overtraining Will Kill Your Gains - by Chris Aceto

I get much better results doing less weight but more sets

I like Phil/Dante style of training for everything except arms and calves.

I've always had a big chest and back and no arms.

So I started doing 9 sets for triceps and 3-6 for biceps. The first 3 sets are done heavy drop sets, the last are burn/pump sets with isolations.

Maybe 9 for calves the same way.

And none of this 5-7 days, that's too long for me and I'm natural with mediocre recovery.

2 days and I'm ready to do the whole thing again.

Gained an inch on my arms this summer with no juice and sadly that has never happened to me with or without.

All because I was told that you squat for big arms and that arms get trained "plenty" with flat bench.

Total Bullshit.

Your recovery can improve but you have to push it.

ummm fast reps vs controlled slow reps?!??!

not sure if I agree with aceto on this one.

ummm fast reps vs controlled slow reps?!??!

not sure if I agree with aceto on this one.

I am gonna have to agree with Killer on this. I dropped down in weight on my bicep exercises so I can focus more on being able to squeeze and now my biceps are getting sore after every bicep workout.

I am gonna have to agree with Killer on this. I dropped down in weight on my bicep exercises so I can focus more on being able to squeeze and now my biceps are getting sore after every bicep workout.

I don´t want sore bicepse, I want bigger biceps!

thats a great read

Aceto is more about tying to move the weight as quicky as possible and blast it up there. Delavier says the same thing. Delaviers books are freaking awesome for bodybuilding/strength training. If you think about it how often do you really see pro bodybuilders doing shit really slow? I rarely do. It's all about training explosively with heavy weights according to these guys.

Last edited:
Aceto is more about tying to move the weight as quicky as possible and blast it up there. Delavier says the same thing. Delaviers books are freaking awesome for bodybuilding/strength training. If you think about it how often do you really see pro bodybuilders doing shit really slow? I rarely do. It's all about training explosively with heavy weights according to these guys.

lol wot?

tons of bb'ers use slow and controlled movements. Ben Pak preaches it all the time.

Both techniques can be used together. A slow and controlled "eccentric" movement followed by an explosive "concentric" movement. You get the best of both worlds and recruit the most amount of muscle fibers imho.

lol wot?

tons of bb'ers use slow and controlled movements. Ben Pak preaches it all the time.

I see way more fast explosive training on the concentric part of reps than slow in most bodybuilders training videos. Its definitely controlled just quicker. Supposedly it recruits more muscle fibers training in a more explosive manner. Delavier and I believe Aceto thinks the whole rep should be done as quick as possible. Of course different strokes for different folks but I really like these two guys views on training.

Last edited:
I see way more fast explosive training on the concentric part of reps than slow in most bodybuilders training videos. Its definitely controlled just quicker. Supposedly it recruits more muscle fibers training in a more explosive manner.

Honestly, I think that's just piss poor form and they're not doing it bc it works better. It's hard to argue with Branch's form though considering that he's a damn monster.

Honestly, I think that's just piss poor form and they're not doing it bc it works better. It's hard to argue with Branch's form though considering that he's a damn monster.

Right I mean even if you watch Jays and Ronnies vids they are pushing the weight pretty dam fast. Its controlled definitely but very quick and there is a constant pace to their reps. Branch is kinda a bad example but yea he is a monster no doubt.

Yates pretty much preaches the same thing. Concentric part boom explode quickly but he preaches a fairly slow controlled eccentric part of the rep if I recall correctly.

Yates pretty much preaches the same thing. Concentric part boom explode quickly but he preaches a fairly slow controlled eccentric part of the rep if I recall correctly.

Mix it up!!! The neurological response and CNS recruitment you get from both explosive and TUT training each have their benefits. I have just had better results with more eccentric emphasis and overloading the muscle with TUT verses shear weight. I like a blend so you get the best of both worlds.

I really think though that individual assessment is crucial in determining which stimulus you respond best to. Chris addresses a very good point in that adding mass that type of training has its place... but for fullness, roundness, and density I have yet to find a better style of training then TUT slow and controlled.

A good rule of thumb in the off season when your joints and body are properly fueled and lubricated to perform explosive movements as heavy as possible. But when it comes down to the last few weeks of contest prep when you are prone to injury and need to bring out proper conditioning TUT is best here. Plus when you are performing poses you are holding them in place and TUT can help tremendously with pose conditioning.

Mix it up!!! The neurological response and CNS recruitment you get from both explosive and TUT training each have their benefits. I have just had better results with more eccentric emphasis and overloading the muscle with TUT verses shear weight. I like a blend so you get the best of both worlds.

I really think though that individual assessment is crucial in determining which stimulus you respond best to. Chris addresses a very good point in that adding mass that type of training has its place... but for fullness, roundness, and density I have yet to find a better style of training then TUT slow and controlled.

A good rule of thumb in the off season when your joints and body are properly fueled and lubricated to perform explosive movements as heavy as possible. But when it comes down to the last few weeks of contest prep when you are prone to injury and need to bring out proper conditioning TUT is best here. Plus when you are performing poses you are holding them in place and TUT can help tremendously with pose conditioning.

I agree I definitely perform more TUT reps as opposed to fast explosive training but lately I been giving the latter a go a little bit and definitely like it as well. I like mixing it up as well and learning about different ways to do things. Pre contest it would defintely be extremely hard to perform explosive training. I couldnt even imagine lol. Doing reps at a constant quick pace is pretty dam hard if your not use to it. Its a whole different ball game!

"Suddenly, bodybuilders were doing 5-6 sets for chest or 8 to 10 sets for back which in my opinion just is not enough to optimally stimulate growth"

I stopped reading after this...

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner