over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Part Time - Personal Training Q

halflife

Registered
Hey fellas,
I'm currently studying for an entrance exam to get into a place I can further my education. As a result, I won't be able to work full time during that time or while in the advanced schooling (several years). I already have two bachelor degrees: Exercise science and Biology (and some medical research).

I can't find a part time job with my degrees in the area that pays more than $10 right now.

So I'm thinking about studying for the NASM test and start personal training part time (20-25 hours) (the material looks pretty easy since I've spent 8 years studying this stuff pretty much).

Do you all think that the investment is worth it versus other jobs/certs and is it unrealistic to think I could make $300-350 a week by working 20-25 hours? I'm currently in a decent city middle east coast, but will be moving to SanFran area in a year for school. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks guys!
If you need any clarification of my question ask, Thanks

Last edited:
If you can find 20 hours of training a week- even in a big box club such as Bally's, LA Fitness etc.. you should easily make that a week. Suggestion would be to go to a smaller gym. You will make more $. Don't use the training as just something to fall back on. Be good at your craft and enjoy what you do. If you made $15.00 a session after the house takes their cut of course- did only 30 a week that alone brings you $450. It's competitive and like anything you must work hard. The piece of paper does not make the trainer. GL

Hey fellas,
I'm currently studying for an entrance exam to get into a place I can further my education. As a result, I won't be able to work full time during that time or while in the advanced schooling (several years). I already have two bachelor degrees: Exercise science and Biology (and some medical research).

I can't find a part time job with my degrees in the area that pays more than $10 right now.

So I'm thinking about studying for the NASM test and start personal training part time (20-25 hours) (the material looks pretty easy since I've spent 8 years studying this stuff pretty much).

Do you all think that the investment is worth it versus other jobs/certs and is it unrealistic to think I could make $300-350 a week by working 20-25 hours? I'm currently in a decent city middle east coast, but will be moving to SanFran area in a year for school. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks guys!

It all depends on the gym location and the amount of trainers that are there. Also, personal training sales are down due to the market. The problem is that to get 20-25 hours worth of paid training, you need to be there all the time. You have to be there constantly to meet people. After you start training people, the chances of having filled up training in certain time frame is very difficult to achieve. When I was a trainer, I trained around 40 hours a week, but there was always gaps. It will be the same way for part time.
Last think you need to be good sales person, since you are selling your self.
Just things to think about. PT is not a consistent source of money. You have to always be looking for more clients to fill the ones that quit training.

Regardless of your background, it takes a lot of hands on experience to be a good trainer. This means that if you are in a competitive environment, it will take a lot of time to become a successful trainer, assuming you have the correct personality for it also. Knowing what to teach people is easy, knowing how to teach people is hard.

Hey fellas,

Thanks guys!

If you need some experience then I would say for now go with any gym. This way you'll get the experience you need. Once you achieve that, go private. That's where the money is at. In-home training will pay you cash that you put into YOUR pocket. You can set up your own hours with your clients. And 9 out of 10 times those clients will refer you to more family members or friends. Also, get something (certificate) in the way of child hood eduaction and fitness. With the country being over weight so the goverment says, you could get a contract with a few grade schools or high schools in your area to teach phys ed part time. Especially those high school kids whose parents are looking for their kids to go onto college by way of a sports scholarship. Giving those kids personal training in their sports related fields yields big bucks. This is the way I have gone with my part time PT. I do not have contracts with schools (although you could) but I attend grade school and high football games in my area, and pass out my business cards to the parents after making small chit chat with them. You can tell which ones are the ones to go to. They'll be the ones screaming bloody murder at the ref's! Hook, line and sinker! LOL

If you need any one on one help, PM me. Although others have given good advice on here also. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131