over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Partial bicep tear?

AllLoadedUp

Registered
So I have a partially torn right bicep. Saw my ortho and that was the diagnoses. Never had any swelling or discoloration. Just a real sharp pain when I did it. I figured it was a partial tear anyway. He said normally it takes 6-8 weeks for these to heal on their own if its going to. So I have about 3 more weeks before I am at the 8 weeks mark. Have any of you guys/gals dealt with this before? I am praying it heals on its own. I really don't want to have surgery and be out of work for two months.

sorry to hear that bro, I don have any experience with such things..

how did it happen?

I did something to my hamstring a few years back. I was limping so bad that when I went to the grocery store, I had to ride around in the handicapable cart. lol. The girlfriend was so embarassed she was one isle ahead of me the whole time until checkout. :p

I didn't have health insurance so I couldn't get checked out but there was a lot of bruising from what I'm assuming, was the muscle bleeding. I hurt it while sprinting during softball, something I don't normally do.

Took a long time to heal (similar to the timeframe your doctor laid out) but I don't have issues with it now. I just iced it, rested it, and walked to keep it loose.

Sorry I don't have better intel.

Last edited:
I was being a dumbass and was helping to slide a riding mower over in the shed. It was dead and needed to be moved over slightly to get some other stuff out. I was bent over with my knees bent to protect my back and just kind of lifted just enough to slide it over. I instantly felt a sharp pain shoot through my lower bicep. My ortho doc felt my arm and had me move it around. All the soreness/pain is in the area of my upper forearm on the inside of my elbow. He said all the tendons felt fine and he didn't think there was any tears in the tendons at all. He said he thinks its a partial tear in my bicep. Like I said I never have had any swelling at all or any bruising. And the bicep looks perfectly fine. No deformity at all. Which is a great sign. I'm just hoping it will heal on its own. It is still sore as fuck.

Last edited:
I've worked in physiotherapy for 13 years as a massage therapist and im currently in graduate school for rehab sciences. I can offer my opinion if you would like but of course I am not a doctor

Sent from my iBone 6"

Same thing happened to me a few years back. Partially tore my left bicep. I tried to work through the pain but it became very painful. I had to take time off which is not my style at all. I went to a physical therapist for a couple months. They did the regular things like massage, ultrasound, ART, etc. I took nsaids almost every day for the first 3 weeks. Iced it a lot after my PT sessions and my own rehab sessions. You have to fight the inflammation.

Stretching it and doing high rep very light DB curls helped after I let it heal for about a month. The high rep bicep curls were probably the most beneficial things I did. I would take the 12 pound dumbbells and keep my wrist in a fixed suppinated proper curl position the entire time. I would curl them for 60+ reps. Sometimes I'd use the 10's for almost 100 reps strait. You get an absolutely insane pump going. This is rehabbing the area with extreme blood flow. Then after the set I would stretch them with a barbell behind me. That helps also along with helping the tendons. Look up DC bicep stretching. You hold the stretch for 1.5-2 minutes. It shouldn't necessarily be painful, but the pump should be extreme and give you that pump pain. It is painful, but you shouldn't be causing the type of pain that causes you to regress in the healing process.

Do the above at most every other day. Give yourself at least a day in between to heal. Do not go to failure on the curls, but get that extreme pump, then stretch, then ice, ice, ice.

To be clear do not do anything that hurts it. You will prolong your recovery by more than you would guess. I made this mistake.

Always ice it after you fuck with it. That's the key. You heat it, ice it. You massage it, ice it. You lift, ice it. You look at it wrong, ice it. Get it? You can't over ice unless you get frostbite. But that usually only happens to people that aren't healthy and have crappy blood flow.

Learning how to properly rehab, stretch and do mobility work has nearly kept me injury free the past 3 years. If I knew how to do all of this back then I wouldn't have partially torn my bicep like I did. The problem was it hurt and I kept working through the pain until it really hurt. Then too much damage was done and I needed time off.

Same thing happened to me a few years back. Partially tore my left bicep. I tried to work through the pain but it became very painful. I had to take time off which is not my style at all. I went to a physical therapist for a couple months. They did the regular things like massage, ultrasound, ART, etc. I took nsaids almost every day for the first 3 weeks. Iced it a lot after my PT sessions and my own rehab sessions. You have to fight the inflammation.

Stretching it and doing high rep very light DB curls helped after I let it heal for about a month. The high rep bicep curls were probably the most beneficial things I did. I would take the 12 pound dumbbells and keep my wrist in a fixed suppinated proper curl position the entire time. I would curl them for 60+ reps. Sometimes I'd use the 10's for almost 100 reps strait. You get an absolutely insane pump going. This is rehabbing the area with extreme blood flow. Then after the set I would stretch them with a barbell behind me. That helps also along with helping the tendons. Look up DC bicep stretching. You hold the stretch for 1.5-2 minutes. It shouldn't necessarily be painful, but the pump should be extreme and give you that pump pain. It is painful, but you shouldn't be causing the type of pain that causes you to regress in the healing process.

Do the above at most every other day. Give yourself at least a day in between to heal. Do not go to failure on the curls, but get that extreme pump, then stretch, then ice, ice, ice.

To be clear do not do anything that hurts it. You will prolong your recovery by more than you would guess. I made this mistake.

Always ice it after you fuck with it. That's the key. You heat it, ice it. You massage it, ice it. You lift, ice it. You look at it wrong, ice it. Get it? You can't over ice unless you get frostbite. But that usually only happens to people that aren't healthy and have crappy blood flow.

Learning how to properly rehab, stretch and do mobility work has nearly kept me injury free the past 3 years. If I knew how to do all of this back then I wouldn't have partially torn my bicep like I did. The problem was it hurt and I kept working through the pain until it really hurt. Then too much damage was done and I needed time off.
I have worked out once since I did it. Did some shoulders and tri's. Really anything I do bothers it in a way. I was doing the hammer strength shoulder press and even that was bothering it. I think that was because when my arm would come down and my forearm was pressing against my bicep. I'm going to do some really light bicep work tomorrow. My doc said only really light stuff. I was thinking about some standing dumbbell work like you mentioned. I may try the parallel preacher curl machine on like 10lbs for a shit load of reps. I know I need to get the blood flowing in there more. And agree big time on the ice. I iced it for 40 minutes last night.

I have worked out once since I did it. Did some shoulders and tri's. Really anything I do bothers it in a way. I was doing the hammer strength shoulder press and even that was bothering it. I think that was because when my arm would come down and my forearm was pressing against my bicep. I'm going to do some really light bicep work tomorrow. My doc said only really light stuff. I was thinking about some standing dumbbell work like you mentioned. I may try the parallel preacher curl machine on like 10lbs for a shit load of reps. I know I need to get the blood flowing in there more. And agree big time on the ice. I iced it for 40 minutes last night.

Pressing, especially bench hurt me when I was going through it. Your best bet is to just stop all of it for now. Then start back very light. You should only lose neural strength and keep all your muscle. Strength will come back fast once you're full healed.

I would stay away from the preacher. My PT only recommended standing DB curls. She didn't want me lifting at all either but she knew I probably would so she said light like your doc said. Squats hurt me too. Simply holding the bar hurt. I didn't have any bruising or anything either, just like you. So you probably have something very similar to what I had. I did work through my issue with bench, squats, dead, ohp etc, but I would have healed faster if I took a longer break. I'm stubborn however.

Also I forgot to mention (I feel like I am spamming this on here) but curcumin will help. Its an anti inflammatory and repairs muscle tissue. Injectable and oral you should be using.

My whole biceps area on my right arm has been getting worse and worse for years. I do no curls at all anymore. Ive taken time off. I even had an MRI- no tears. It cracks probably 25 times per day. I cannot perform to my actual strength potential in the gym - or I choose not to out of better judgement. Very annoying. Hope yours gets better, and is resolved. Nagging injuries really suck, and some seem to linger on forever. Sometimes the really bad ones are better, because you actually heal.
I was arm barred in a judo match, and should have tapped a few years ago. Maybe that had something to do with it. It just weird that there are no tears on the MRI.

I was being a dumbass and was helping to slide a riding mower over in the shed. It was dead and needed to be moved over slightly to get some other stuff out. I was bent over with my knees bent to protect my back and just kind of lifted just enough to slide it over. I instantly felt a sharp pain shoot through my lower bicep. My ortho doc felt my arm and had me move it around. All the soreness/pain is in the area of my upper forearm on the inside of my elbow. He said all the tendons felt fine and he didn't think there was any tears in the tendons at all. He said he thinks its a partial tear in my bicep. Like I said I never have had any swelling at all or any bruising. And the bicep looks perfectly fine. No deformity at all. Which is a great sign. I'm just hoping it will heal on its own. It is still sore as fuck.

I would get an MRI to better assess what the actual injury is. Even if you don't have insurance, there are many places that are now doing cash pay at a reasonable price. While it sounds like the injury is to the biceps, it could possibly be to the brachialis instead as that lies underneath the biceps muscle and its tendon is going to be more medially and underneath the biceps tendon.

partial distal bicep tear

I have a right partial tear in long head of the bicep. it is a distal tear. my ortho said it would never heal entirely and is not possible to fix. a complete tear is actually easier to re-attach than a partial. there is no "solid" thing to reattach to is kinda how the doc put it.
I tore mine over 6 years ago. hurts all the time. I haven't trained biceps in 4-5 years.
-JS

So I have a partially torn right bicep. Saw my ortho and that was the diagnoses. Never had any swelling or discoloration. Just a real sharp pain when I did it. I figured it was a partial tear anyway. He said normally it takes 6-8 weeks for these to heal on their own if its going to. So I have about 3 more weeks before I am at the 8 weeks mark. Have any of you guys/gals dealt with this before? I am praying it heals on its own. I really don't want to have surgery and be out of work for two months.

Listen to your doctor and give it a few more weeks,,,it does take time.

i tore my bicep several years ago and the best I ever did for getting it back was adding igf1 -lr3 into my rehab mix. get a good physiotherapist and be patient, the last thing you want to do is keep damaging it further by trying to train when its not ready. I took this time to work on my week spots and do a ton of stabilizer work, the cabin fever can get to you at times but it can be done with patience

I tore near proximal outter head mid nov. I am doing isolation curls with maybe 30 % now, I have a hot spot under delt I think its just a clump of muscle fibers

been voodoo banding it after about a week and going through range of motion few times a day. slowly getting there.

the Dr. and I both thought it was a tendon tear so he talked me into MRI. showed it was muscle

good luck bro that sucks.

Didnt go to the doc's so not sure how severe this actually is. I was doing some stupid seated wide DB curl and something sort of popped in my bicep and it gave way. My arm dropped with the weight and it sort of just took my shoulder with it. Its been about 6-8 weeks now and shoulder is still throbbing for days after chest or shoulder day. Bicep has a little pain but nothing severe or too limiting. I've taken several single weeks off during this time to see if it gets better but so far I keep jumping back on to early and re-hurting it. Just took the last 2 weeks off and jumping back on the wagon this week. Damn how this crap can mess up progress.

I have exact same issue in my left bicep right now pain is lower and in forearm. Originally it started from going to heavy and using momentum I then took some time off arms however heavy bench made it worse. Currently I am taking a little break letting it heal. I will say all my research indicates that tendons and ligaments need more volume to get the blood into them than muscles. So take time then come back with light volume to get blood to those tendons. Also I use a super thin knee brace on my arm now. I have also used those tennis elbow bands across the forearm which seems to help relieve it.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear