over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Partial forearm muscle tear

Silencer

FOUNDING Member
Registered
Ten weeks ago I heard a pop near my elbow doing very heavy rows on the Hammer Strength machine, and because the pain never went away I went to see a ortho this week and was diagnosed with a partial tear of my muscle near the elbow (similar to what is known as "golfer's elbow"). I was told to take a month off from training any upper body and to take 4-5 anti-inflammatories a day. I also start therapy in a week.

Question: should I bother with the anti-inflammatories, since I have no swelling? If it is only for pain, then I don't need them, but I don't have the medical knowledge to know if they will help me heal faster.

In eleven years of lifting I've never taken this much time off for the upper body, and unlike most bodybuilders, my lower body has always been my strong point. So now the disparity is only going to get worse! I was going to start a long cycle in a month, so now I'm wondering if I should start it right now, to try to keep from losing upper body mass while I'm out of commission. Anyone have any comments/suggestions?

I don't know that the anti-inflammatories will help much except to alleviate pain. So, if you have no or bearable pain, save your liver and stay off them.

I wouldn't waste gear on a cycle now. If you can afford GH, that would be beneficial.

Keep working those legs and let the arm heal. Muscle memory is a good thing :)

The anti-inflammatories will not really stess your liver and will mainly help with the pain. If you have significant swelling, they may help with the healing process by reducing local edema.

I would hold off on the cycle. Gear can impair connective tissue regeneration which you may need if there is any ligament/tendon damage in addition to the partial mucle tear.

anti inflams WILL stress your liver
id stay away from them unless u need them to perform daily functions
gh will be abt the only thing to help u out tho, so save ure gear
then id get on some EQ when ure FULLY healed, eq has always made my ligs and tendons stronger, some say eq makes them brittle, but not for myself.
frk

save the liver and your stomach as anti-inflammatory medication will generally add stress to the lining of your stomach also and lead to more problems than anything else. Use the GH and save the gear. I woud also look into massage (medical) for this to help stimulate the healing process. Good luck

FRKNHUGE said:
anti inflams WILL stress your liver

I have to disagree with this. You might be thinking of Tylenol (acetominophen) which is NOT an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) like Advil/Motrin/ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen sodium/Aleve, etc. Tylenol is hepatotoxic and can cause liver enzyme elevations in doses as low as 4000mg per day. High doses on NSAIDS have not shown this problem in patients with normal hepatic function. They have shown some renal toxicity at high doses and can cause problems for renally impaired patients.

NSAIDS can be harsh on the stomach and can cause stomach ulcers and nausea, However, most people tolerate them fine with food. I would hate for this guy to not take Advil fearing for his liver if he really needs it.

I would still be cautious with the use of EQ. While your joints may feel better while on EQ, this likely has to do with an increase in the synovial fluuid within the bursa of the joint. This would not have much to do with white tissue regeration.

Hope this helps.

Hepatic effects of NSAIDS

Here is the information from Micromedix(drug database). Hope this helps.

B. ELEVATED LIVER FUNCTION TESTS
1. SUMMARY:
a. Borderline elevations in one or more liver function tests (LFTs) have been reported in up to 15% of patients treated with NSAIDs during clinical trials. The LFTs may return to normal, may remain unchanged, or may progress with continued treatment. Meaningful elevations (eg, three times of the upper limit of normal) in SGPT (ALT) or SGOT (AST) have occurred in less than 1% of patients. If elevations in liver function tests (LFTs) persist or if a patient develops signs suggesting liver dysfunction (eg, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, right abdominal pain, loss of appetite), the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) should be stopped (Prod Info Motrin(R), 1999; Riley & Smith, 1998).

AUSPEX

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner