over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Patellar tendonitis

What do you guys do for this, deep squats seem to be the cause, never in my life have i had knee issues until now, I'm taking growth, but not sure what else to do, i tried using a knee wrap for the left one that bugs me but i could still feel it during the lift and the next day, any ideas ?

I had good luck with micro-current in the past with this issue. Lately I've been using an "LED man" red/infra-red light device.

You can literally feel the light "zapping" the tendon inflammation. Infra-red and good old ice are my recs, besides the million supplements and the peps.

I got one unit from amazon, a medlight 630 pro for $200

the Medlight only uses red light, so the therapeutic effect only goes 1/2" to 1" deep. Not great for joints, or large muscle/tendon groups.

The new unit I got is made in the USA buy a guy called "LED man"

I got a dual unit that has both Red and INfra-red.

the LED man unit was $160 with built in fan. I think it's a great unit with lifetime warranty.

Infra red will go many inches into the body, so it's great for legs and knees.

There are MANY threads here where we talk about the science behind things like quercitin, Curcumin, alpha lipoic acid for tendons.

Stay away, if you can, from Cipro, Avelox, fluoroquinlone antibiotics, and try some infra-red light therapy/ice, curcumin, and you should notice a difference.

Good luck.

Lie with your leg straight, and have someone push the patella down form the top, then contract the quadraceps. Do you scream in pain from that? Look into TFL stretches and VMO exercises on you tube. Also rock tape on the infrapatellar tendon worlks really well. DMSO with winstol mixed in works pretty neat, as does liquid collagen called Relivamine, by Nature's Way.

Lie with your leg straight, and have someone push the patella down form the top, then contract the quadraceps. Do you scream in pain from that? Look into TFL stretches and VMO exercises on you tube. Also rock tape on the infrapatellar tendon worlks really well. DMSO with winstol mixed in works pretty neat, as does liquid collagen called Relivamine, by Nature's Way.
Liquid collagen mixed with DMSO?

Had 4 Patella tendon surgeries about 15 years ago.
Both had so much dead tissue on the tendons that they had to scrape them, drill into the bone for increased blood flow to assist healing then in my left knee remove my bursar.
Did not have a good time at all.
Depending how bad it is, see a great lower extremity surgeon.
rest it, try PT then last resort surgery.
The surgeon was amazing but I was an idiot and came back too fast and fucked them both up. They both had to be re-done !
Sucked

Liquid collagen mixed with DMSO?

DMSO will carry many substances with it. For some reason, winstrol DMSO mix pulls out inflammation. A lot of knee problems are from the patellar ligaments, and this is why surgery sucks. They are little spider leg -like filaments that hold the knee cap in placed and are 99% overlooked by orthos, and they tear thru them for surgery.

The cream I mentioned already has permeable cream in it to deliver the collagen site specific 3x a day and expect 50% improvement in 2 weeks. You can also do TB500 and GHRP around the pain spots.

Again, how are the TFL to vastus medialis ratio's? This assymetry is the biggest cause of knee pain.

YOU should all do VMO exercises, the last 20' of extension in the quads, and TFL stretches. Lateral heel wedges can also be a Godsend to anyone who had surgery, to take the weight off the medial meniscus and ligaments. (amazon is cheap).

The patellar grind test I mentioned a couple threads above is great for diagnostic help.

Infrared therapy isn't going to fix the underlying issue. More than likely the underlying issue is an imbalance in your ankles or hips (one stronger or less flexible than the other). The outdated school of thought was that weak vmos and a tight vastus lateralis were the cause for patellar tendonitis. Go see a physical therapist so it doesn't get worse over time or through the years.

Infrared therapy isn't going to fix the underlying issue. More than likely the underlying issue is an imbalance in your ankles or hips (one stronger or less flexible than the other). The outdated school of thought was that weak vmos and a tight vastus lateralis were the cause for patellar tendonitis. Go see a physical therapist so it doesn't get worse over time or through the years.

I doubt there is just one "underlying issue". Mechanical imbalances can also lead to tension and blood flow problems that further aggravate already bad mechanics. A muscle in spasm and wound up tendon will make any mechanics worse. So bringing in blood flow and resetting the Golgi tendons though such energetic therapies such as light, microcurrent or ultra sound will definitely help to correct part of a syndrome at best or bring healthy blood flow to the area at worst.

On the other hand, Tendon inflammation is a sign of overuse. there are a few difference categories of "overuse".

1. Tendon is healthy (in a healthy, non chronically degenerative environment)
In this case then yes, either mechanical problems or overtraining are likely to blame. Rest, PT, and posture corrective training will remedy the "itis"

2. Tendon is unhealthy.
In an unhealthy tendon situation there is a mix of cellular/ECM imbalance, Chronic inflammation/or progress to non-inflammatory tendinosis, and also chronic MMP degeneration.

IF the tendon is unhealthy due to the second category, then degeneration and damage must be stopped by reducing/balancing MMPs and reducing oxidative cellular damage.

In almost every case Infra-red light therapy should help. Even in hyper-cellular non-inflammatory tendonosis, the increase fibroblast stimulation and collagen production from light should help to rebalance the ECM/cellular environment.

So, any therapy that helps to stimulate healing process, increase blood flow, and lower inflation, will most likely be helpful.

Every serious lifter needs to learn how to stretch out the tight spots, foam roll, work on mobility, ice and take NSAIDS. All of that will greatly prevent injury, make you more comfortable and even carryover to strength.

You probably have some sort of mobility issue that needs to be addressed through stretching. Tight muscles in the lower body are notorious for causing patella issues.

I doubt there is just one "underlying issue". Mechanical imbalances can also lead to tension and blood flow problems that further aggravate already bad mechanics. A muscle in spasm and wound up tendon will make any mechanics worse. So bringing in blood flow and resetting the Golgi tendons though such energetic therapies such as light, microcurrent or ultra sound will definitely help to correct part of a syndrome at best or bring healthy blood flow to the area at worst.

On the other hand, Tendon inflammation is a sign of overuse. there are a few difference categories of "overuse".

1. Tendon is healthy (in a healthy, non chronically degenerative environment)
In this case then yes, either mechanical problems or overtraining are likely to blame. Rest, PT, and posture corrective training will remedy the "itis"

2. Tendon is unhealthy.
In an unhealthy tendon situation there is a mix of cellular/ECM imbalance, Chronic inflammation/or progress to non-inflammatory tendinosis, and also chronic MMP degeneration.

IF the tendon is unhealthy due to the second category, then degeneration and damage must be stopped by reducing/balancing MMPs and reducing oxidative cellular damage.

In almost every case Infra-red light therapy should help. Even in hyper-cellular non-inflammatory tendonosis, the increase fibroblast stimulation and collagen production from light should help to rebalance the ECM/cellular environment.

So, any therapy that helps to stimulate healing process, increase blood flow, and lower inflation, will most likely be helpful.

I didn't mean to say Infrared therapy wouldn't help at all, but it shouldn't be the sole method of treatment if one wants to make real improvement. Bodybuilders seem to spend a lot of time and effort (and money) on treating the symptoms of their aches and pains with ART and whatnot, but few also take the time to actually get at the root of the problem.

What do you guys do for this, deep squats seem to be the cause, never in my life have i had knee issues until now, I'm taking growth, but not sure what else to do, i tried using a knee wrap for the left one that bugs me but i could still feel it during the lift and the next day, any ideas ?

As I have gotten alder I have had to back off the weight with squats.
I now never go over 225lbs(20-25 reps) but I think my legs look better than ever and my knees and hips don't hurt me anymore.

As I have gotten alder I have had to back off the weight with squats.
I now never go over 225lbs(20-25 reps) but I think my legs look better than ever and my knees and hips don't hurt me anymore.

i might have to do this for a few lifts until i get it under control. started fish oil too, my legs are really really good now, but going for pro card in 17 weeks so i dont wanna give up a thing either

I didn't mean to say Infrared therapy wouldn't help at all, but it shouldn't be the sole method of treatment if one wants to make real improvement. Bodybuilders seem to spend a lot of time and effort (and money) on treating the symptoms of their aches and pains with ART and whatnot, but few also take the time to actually get at the root of the problem.

Agreed, fixing imbalances is VERY important for health and function, although sometimes very hard and times consuming. Heat, meds, etc is the quick and easy fix.

Tendonitis indicates inflammation. Pain is a signal to stop.

With those basics out of the way....Stop doing whatever aggravates it for the time being. Bring down the inflammation with ice/heat & motrin. I'd see a chiropractor and have: Cold laser, cross friction, ART, graston/instrumented assisted soft tissue done to increase blood flow, reduce pain, and promote healing.

Every serious lifter needs to learn how to stretch out the tight spots, foam roll, work on mobility, ice and take NSAIDS. All of that will greatly prevent injury, make you more comfortable and even carryover to strength.

You probably have some sort of mobility issue that needs to be addressed through stretching. Tight muscles in the lower body are notorious for causing patella issues.

This is good advice, except I would use NSAID'S very cautiously and only as needed as you don't want any disruption to the GI tract by way of causing ulcers and by damaging the kidneys and liver that excess NSAID use causes.

Patellar tendinitis sucks. Make absolutely sure your glut is engaged big time because quad dominance is a big issue and can happen if the guts are delayed in firing. A really cool test is when you lay face down extend your thigh. The order of firing should be hammy first then a strong glut then the opposite erector then the same side erector. I filmed myself doing this on one of my patients. Check out the video on my website. It's the video were I examine a girl and the hip firing extension test is about half way through it. You can find the video at www.sterlingchiropractortherapy.com

A few tips

Dont squat too heavy! Pre exhaust your legs first with leg press, Ham curls and other exercises. If you happen to have a Hammer Strength V Squat machine try that but facing inward (forehead against the pad)

Change your squat stance to a much more wider stance with toes slightly pointed out. A wider stance will take the stress of your knees.

Get some knee sleeves. The old Rehband blue ones work great plus the ones from Anderson Powerlifting (red and black). The inzer ones with the velcro straps are solid as well. They add a bit of compression when you snug them down tight.

Warm up a ton! lots of light leg extensions and warm up sets.

Don't squat below parallel if you feel that is causing problems. If an exercise hurts you dont do it! or tweak it a bit to where it doesnt hurt :)

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner