advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Peaking for a show and drying out, my way.

Great work.......At 16 weeks out how many grams of cabs do your guys start there diet with.

Big Bapper said:
Great work.......At 16 weeks out how many grams of cabs do your guys start there diet with.

Directed towards me? If so them maybe around 20-30. :D

hardbodygrl said:
see now why when I do 20-30 carbs you yell at me?!?!?!?!? LOL j/k ;)

I just love to yell at you. ;)

Magnum said:
.................................. Carbs, sodium, potassium, water are the main things you have to watch.

you said you are not using many carbs to load..etc. and it does not take long to get the job done . do you supplement with additional potassium when loading ? or does this simply depends on the choice of food ? what are you recommending to keep /get a good potassium/sodium balance ? when would you start to keep an good eye on that , to not get it screwed up ?

you can PM me if you want

wake

Magnum, Thanks for this great info. I have recently dieted down from 270 to right now 240 using 5 day low carb 2 day moderate carb diet. I am no expert as far as dieting and nutrition so I wanted to know do you ever advocate cardio plus low carb in prep for contest or is the diet enough? I have had great success in diet alone with zero cardio but I am curious as to your plan, as you are very experienced and knowledgeable. Thanks

There is something that has really got me thinking.....

The main method for cutting water from everyone i speak with on these boards advocates running water high until some point on friday, then cutting it at some point. This is the only method i have used and alot of the time if ended up losing too much water and going flat.

Now almost EVERY competitor i have spoken with this year at shows who was in sick condition, used the tapering method.... 3gal wed, 1.5 thurs, .75 fri and cut at some point.

What is the reasoning behind each method? (im sure i know alot of the reasoning, i just want to hear it explained becuase maybe i missed something)

wolfonthehill said:
Magnum, Thanks for this great info. I have recently dieted down from 270 to right now 240 using 5 day low carb 2 day moderate carb diet. I am no expert as far as dieting and nutrition so I wanted to know do you ever advocate cardio plus low carb in prep for contest or is the diet enough? I have had great success in diet alone with zero cardio but I am curious as to your plan, as you are very experienced and knowledgeable. Thanks

Yes I do, but only when they are beind scheduel. Personally I think cardio is a waste of recoperative energy. THe least amount the better.

TooPowerful4u said:
There is something that has really got me thinking.....

The main method for cutting water from everyone i speak with on these boards advocates running water high until some point on friday, then cutting it at some point. This is the only method i have used and alot of the time if ended up losing too much water and going flat.

Now almost EVERY competitor i have spoken with this year at shows who was in sick condition, used the tapering method.... 3gal wed, 1.5 thurs, .75 fri and cut at some point.

What is the reasoning behind each method? (im sure i know alot of the reasoning, i just want to hear it explained becuase maybe i missed something)

This acutally happened to my wife a couple of years ago. I cut her water at 7pm and she woke up flat. (no diuretics) It was easily fixed though. I usually will run the water all the way up till bedtime and have my guys (and gals) drink some the morning of the show.

Just wanted to add TP that there are other factors as to why you could have been flat, but I doubt it was because you were drinking too much water.

Last edited:
Why is it that every guy i see in phenominal shape tapers his water. Is that the safer way of doing it or what?

TooPowerful4u said:
Why is it that every guy i see in phenominal shape tapers his water. Is that the safer way of doing it or what?

Tapering water is a good way to retain water.

lowers blood pressure, allows for a higher food intake = more nutrients for the muscle, stimulates metabolism, increases speed of recuperation between sets, increased cardiorespitory conditioning allows intensity to be pushed farther stimulating more muscle tissue because your not ending a set because your winded (ex. squats), increases efficiency of metabolic pathways just to name a few. also lets keep in mind the competitors health, cardiovascular disease is a leading killer of males and aas take a big hit on cardiovascular health.

now i do believe you can over do it. alot of guys burn up to much muscle cause there doing way to much cardio. for bodybuilding to much cardio is just as bad as no cardio in my opinion. and clean out your damn pm box, your not that popular, lol.

and for guys reading this magnum does know his shit when it comes to drying out the last couple days, i think we just differ alittle on how to get to that point when all you have left is to dry out. i like cardio and more carbs but he trains a shitload more people than i do so who am i to disagree.:)

edge250 said:
lowers blood pressure, allows for a higher food intake = more nutrients for the muscle, stimulates metabolism, increases speed of recuperation between sets, increased cardiorespitory conditioning allows intensity to be pushed farther stimulating more muscle tissue because your not ending a set because your winded (ex. squats), increases efficiency of metabolic pathways just to name a few. also lets keep in mind the competitors health, cardiovascular disease is a leading killer of males and aas take a big hit on cardiovascular health.

now i do believe you can over do it. alot of guys burn up to much muscle cause there doing way to much cardio. for bodybuilding to much cardio is just as bad as no cardio in my opinion. and clean out your damn pm box, your not that popular, lol.

PM box clreaded sir. :) I'm not totally against cardio and do use it when needed, but I also believe that lifting weights gives you all these benefits that you mention. Nothing wrong with jumping on a treadmill for 20 min a few times a week. I have seen blood pressure (myself included) go way down from diet and weighloss alone, even when drug dosages have gone up. Higher food intake does not always equate to better nutrition. It does stimulate the metabo. but so will a workout, escpecially while doing legs. My resting heart rate stays up for quite a few hours after working out. Walking on a treadmill is not the best way to have your body adapt to high rep squats, doing high rep squats are. I believe the best way to protect your cardiovascualr health is to stop eating all the crap that people do and to stop with the insane amounts of needless food that guys are eating thinking that it is the only way to get them bigger. I think Phil also spoke on this in another post. No, I'm not against some cardio, just don't think that it's all that people think it's craked up to be. Oh, nothing wrong with going to Denny's once a week and eating a grandslam or two. Ya gotta enjoy life once in a while. :p

Just thought I would add this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIIT Isn't this what we have been doing in the gym with weights all along? And who says I'm not up on the latest cardio fads?

Last edited:
Magnum said:
Tapering water is a good way to retain water.

Im sure both methods work, im just curious why you suggest this one doesnt when i can rattle off a list of names of great conditioned pro's and amateurs who use this. Are you saying its becuase of the diuretics and NOT the water method that they are dry?

TooPowerful4u said:
Im sure both methods work, im just curious why you suggest this one doesnt when i can rattle off a list of names of great conditioned pro's and amateurs who use this. Are you saying its becuase of the diuretics and NOT the water method that they are dry?

Why are you sure it works? Who are the list of pros that you KNOW uses this method? I can tell you for sure that when you cut back your water intake your body will compensate by holding water.

Magnum said:
Why are you sure it works? Who are the list of pros that you KNOW uses this method? I can tell you for sure that when you cut back your water intake your body will compensate by holding water.

Well in the last 3 issues of Flex a couple of pros stated this is what they do so that must be truth??? Right??? :p

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131