over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

pec strain - advise please

mtygorilla

Newbies
I started training again in March after a decade layoff. Four months ago, I heard a popping sound and felt a ripple in both of my pecs during a heavy set of bench. I've used ice, anti inflammatories, stretching and tissue massage, often since then. There has been no bruising, very slight swelling and I have lost little if any strength. The pain is not great, maybe a 4 on a scale from 1-10.

I've been training for a powerlifting contest in December, but I keep having setbacks. Every time my chest is feeling good, I begin to work on it again with light weights 20-40 reps for a few weeks. Then I gradually start going heavier.

My left pec has been fine since the first strain. My right pec is another story. I've re-pulled it on as little weight as 225 for sets of 20 on the bench. Today was nearly a month an a half since the last time I pulled it. Last week, I went light for 295x5 pause reps and it felt great. Today, I decided to bump it up 20 lbs to 315x5 pause reps. I felt really strong after 5 and decided to push for a new pause rep PR of 10 reps. On my 8th rep, I heard and felt that all to familiar SNAP. It was a shame, because 10 reps were coming easy.

I need some advise from people who have had similar problems or suffered from pec tears. Please do not suggest I stop benching forever, because this is a necessary part to the sport I wish to compete in.

Should I avoid all pressing movements and for how long? I may still compete in December, but I will have to go very light on the bench just to get on the board. Unless I can find some type of rehab program that works for me.

Any advice would be great. Please keep in mind my goals are to compete in powerlifting, so the bench is necessary.

Keep that grip narrow, do lots of assistance work.

If you really want to keep benching, that's all you can do.

You can also start hitting your strict overhead press much heavier,
as it has great carry over to bench in my opinion. If you keep your elbows forward there is good activation in the upper chest.

Keep the massage/stretching blah blah blah going, just stop flat benching heavy until you really need to do it. There are lots of exercises you can do to build your flat bench besides flat benching.

Im sorry if I missed it, but is it a pec "tear / tendon rupture" or just a strain?

I started training again in March after a decade layoff. Four months ago, I heard a popping sound and felt a ripple in both of my pecs during a heavy set of bench. I've used ice, anti inflammatories, stretching and tissue massage, often since then. There has been no bruising, very slight swelling and I have lost little if any strength. The pain is not great, maybe a 4 on a scale from 1-10.

I've been training for a powerlifting contest in December, but I keep having setbacks. Every time my chest is feeling good, I begin to work on it again with light weights 20-40 reps for a few weeks. Then I gradually start going heavier.

My left pec has been fine since the first strain. My right pec is another story. I've re-pulled it on as little weight as 225 for sets of 20 on the bench. Today was nearly a month an a half since the last time I pulled it. Last week, I went light for 295x5 pause reps and it felt great. Today, I decided to bump it up 20 lbs to 315x5 pause reps. I felt really strong after 5 and decided to push for a new pause rep PR of 10 reps. On my 8th rep, I heard and felt that all to familiar SNAP. It was a shame, because 10 reps were coming easy.

I need some advise from people who have had similar problems or suffered from pec tears. Please do not suggest I stop benching forever, because this is a necessary part to the sport I wish to compete in.

Should I avoid all pressing movements and for how long? I may still compete in December, but I will have to go very light on the bench just to get on the board. Unless I can find some type of rehab program that works for me.

Any advice would be great. Please keep in mind my goals are to compete in powerlifting, so the bench is necessary.

Im sorry if I missed it, but is it a pec "tear / tendon rupture" or just a strain?

I have not been to the doctor and do not believe medical treatment is necessary. Most likely it is a grade 1 tear or possibly a mild grade 2. There is no separation or movement of muscle, no bruising and very mild swelling. It appears to be more in the muscle belly and not the tendon. However, I realize sometimes that where the pain is, is not always where the injury took place.

I ruptured a tendon 22 years ago during heavy bench press in high school. It was also mild and still somewhat attached. The doctor recommended no surgery. It was in the same pec and I felt scar tissue for years. This does not seem to be the same injury, but it could be connected. I did not rehab and it took me what seemed like years to completely recover. That is what you get being 16 and thinking you own life. LOL

Sounds like the same injury I've had to both sides of my chest a cpl times and that its just a strain which rest/ice/time will heal. Id lay off it for a few weeks then slowly come back. That worked for me. I'm also into powerlifting and have learned to keep the elbows tucked in instead of flaring them out while benching. Since I've been doing that I've never had that injury again.

you should lay off.. for as long as you need to no rush and get it checked out a pec injury isn't something you take lightly it could start off small and keep getting worse.

The bench press is a notorious exercise for pec and delt injuries. If you were a bodybuilder I would say never do that stupid exercise again. But sine bench press is what its all about in your sport, use hgh, tb-500, and anything that will accelerate the healing process. Keep you healthy fats and good oils high. Ice it. Possibly look into a good anti-inflammatory like meloxacam.

The bench press is a notorious exercise for pec and delt injuries. If you were a bodybuilder I would say never do that stupid exercise again. But sine bench press is what its all about in your sport, use hgh, tb-500, and anything that will accelerate the healing process. Keep you healthy fats and good oils high. Ice it. Possibly look into a good anti-inflammatory like meloxacam.

I agree.. wish I would have took that advice my self. tore both damn pecs on flat bench. BTW how is tb500 for actual muscle tears not tendon tears

I agree.. wish I would have took that advice my self. tore both damn pecs on flat bench. BTW how is tb500 for actual muscle tears not tendon tears

It should accelerate all healing. For me it helped my rotator cuffs and my arthritic knees. I can shoulder press again which I couldn't for a very long time. I stick to hammer strength and other machines for pressing though.

you should lay off.. for as long as you need to no rush and get it checked out a pec injury isn't something you take lightly it could start off small and keep getting worse.

Good advice

It should accelerate all healing. For me it helped my rotator cuffs and my arthritic knees. I can shoulder press again which I couldn't for a very long time. I stick to hammer strength and other machines for pressing though.

I switched to hammer strength for bench and military press about 3 years ago after suffering an injury and don't feel like I have lost anything. Chest and shoulders are more developed now then when I was doing free weights and haven't suffered any more injuries. Hope the tb500 works for you I thought of trying it myself

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear