advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

People say there is no such thing as a stupid question...

method2madness

Registered
The saying goes that there is no such thing as a stupid question but I strongly disagree. Here's my example as it pertains to bodybuilding. I was training back today doing 4 plates on a classic ground bolted t-bar row and a gym-rat who is a good dude and has been around awhile asked me why I'm lifting that heavy if If I'm already big and have an above average back. My answer was simple, to be bigger and better :giggle: He realized how stupid the question was and we both shared a quick laugh before finishing up our training. What are some of your examples?

IMO that's not a stupid question. He was probably impressed with you and wanting an "in" to bro out with you a second and maybe learn something from you.

Perhaps that "stupid question" of his was the start of a deeper mentor relationship he'll have with you or something. Or maybe not but I wouldn't call it a stupid question if he learned something :)

A 20 y/o kid at the gym asked me what supplements to take for overall health and to gain muscle. I said, "you are 20 and healthy, don`t fuck it up! You don`t need health supps. Muscle... Eat big and lift bigger". He seemed disappointed with my simplicity.

I was once asked in a remote village in SE asia, considering that I'm white how many times does it take to get a girl pregnant and if our "seed" was more powerful and could get the job done only a few shots.

I thought something got lost in translation but was confirmed that's what they were asking and wanted an exact number lol.

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen on boards or heard people ask what to take to lose weight

As a science teacher I used to get some stupid questions that would make me wonder if the student had even been in my class. I never made anyone feel like it was a stupid question though, even if the class laughed at them. I would always say I am glad you asked and it never was a problem. I always liked getting questions, no matter how stupid. Much rather have that than students just sitting there not interacting at all. Had the question, do you believe in Evolution? That one was tough because it brings in religion.

As a science teacher I used to get some stupid questions that would make me wonder if the student had even been in my class. I never made anyone feel like it was a stupid question though, even if the class laughed at them. I would always say I am glad you asked and it never was a problem. I always liked getting questions, no matter how stupid. Much rather have that than students just sitting there not interacting at all. Had the question, do you believe in Evolution? That one was tough because it brings in religion.
Agreed, if somebody is asking, that means part of them is hungry to learn at least. I was taught as a teacher (during grad school) to reformulate "stupid questions". Its an incredibly useful form of rhetoric, to the point that I would welcome "stupid questions" - because they would give me a chance to reformulate the thought behind the question in a useful way that would help the person asking as well as other people in the class. By answering the reformulated question I would help the original person that asked the question as well as enlighten other people in class about some nuanced point they were missing also. So I was never teaching directly 1 on 1 to the person that was really lost but I was helping them and everybody else at the same time. They are "teachable moments" lol....and then you just continue on with the lesson seamlessly having pushed your students further down the road of understanding...

I've heard more stupid answers than stupid questions.

In which I ask "what part of your brain made you say that!?"

IDK, But we were all once those naive kids asking questions, seeking short cuts. Weather in Military, gym, work, etc, I had some good mentors, and i thank goodness. Some dudes are bent shit cans, stay away. But if you can help someone avoid the traps, so be it. Ive learned alot from this board im iam thankful.

Agreed, if somebody is asking, that means part of them is hungry to learn at least. I was taught as a teacher (during grad school) to reformulate "stupid questions". Its an incredibly useful form of rhetoric, to the point that I would welcome "stupid questions" - because they would give me a chance to reformulate the thought behind the question in a useful way that would help the person asking as well as other people in the class. By answering the reformulated question I would help the original person that asked the question as well as enlighten other people in class about some nuanced point they were missing also. So I was never teaching directly 1 on 1 to the person that was really lost but I was helping them and everybody else at the same time. They are "teachable moments" lol....and then you just continue on with the lesson seamlessly having pushed your students further down the road of understanding...
Yes good point you make. I've always done that, and it just kinda came natural. I also earned a master's in ed but dont remember being taught to do it that way. I had to watch it sometimes in class because I'd end up going too deep and then run out of time for the other topics!

I was once asked in a remote village in SE asia, considering that I'm white how many times does it take to get a girl pregnant and if our "seed" was more powerful and could get the job done only a few shots.

I thought something got lost in translation but was confirmed that's what they were asking and wanted an exact number lol.
Lol...what did you tell them?
Take care.
MS

IMO that's not a stupid question. He was probably impressed with you and wanting an "in" to bro out with you a second and maybe learn something from you.

Perhaps that "stupid question" of his was the start of a deeper mentor relationship he'll have with you or something. Or maybe not but I wouldn't call it a stupid question if he learned something :)
Definitely food for thought. Some things are so ingrained in me that a question might seem stupid. My relationship with this dude is a good one and by no means did I talk down to him as that is not my place. My experience as a teacher for 16 years has led me to never make a person, student or otherwise feel stupid for asking a question that i may think is a stupid one. That would be unprofessional and dickish and i am neither of those things

Had a guy this morning ask me about what I thought about laying upside down in a hip adductor machine to work the chest. Said he saw some guy doing this, and would this target the lower pecs.

After giving him a 30 second Bert (wtf) stare

1bqgv0.jpg

I just told him (pointing to all the Mr. Olympia's we have on the wall), do you think any of those guys do that for their chest? Have you ever seen any of them do that? You know what they do for chest? They do presses, dips, and flies on proper equipment. Why? because it works. And the guy on YouTube that shows you how to do flies in an adductor machine or how to bench sideways on a HS ISO bench because "it works the inner pec better", should first develop some Arnold like pecs before worrying about angles.

Had a guy this morning ask me about what I thought about laying upside down in a hip adductor machine to work the chest. Said he saw some guy doing this, and would this target the lower pecs.

After giving him a 30 second Bert (wtf) stare

1bqgv0.jpg

I just told him (pointing to all the Mr. Olympia's we have on the wall), do you think any of those guys do that for their chest? Have you ever seen any of them do that? You know what they do for chest? They do presses, dips, and flies on proper equipment. Why? because it works. And the guy on YouTube that shows you how to do flies in an adductor machine or how to bench sideways on a HS ISO bench because "it works the inner pec better", should first develop some Arnold like pecs before worrying about angles.

I agree. To me its like all of these people you see on the glute machine working endless sets and they have never done a single squat. I guess if you have had an injury such as low back it makes sense, but if youre fully healthy then you should stick to basics.

A 20 y/o kid at the gym asked me what supplements to take for overall health and to gain muscle. I said, "you are 20 and healthy, don`t fuck it up! You don`t need health supps. Muscle... Eat big and lift bigger". He seemed disappointed with my simplicity.

Oh you mean you didn't tell them that secret that we're all hiding which got us in shape?

Mind you I'm not some monster like most of you guys and when the kids at the YMCA ask me what I do to be in the shape I am in I always tell them the same "you're doing it, you're at the gym". God they hate that answer, I wish I could record the faces I get! They usually just go return to throwing their back out doing dumbbell curls with triple the weight they really should be using....

Then there are people closer to me who know I use gear and think that if they also use gear they will be big like me. I wish I could record those faces when I tell them that GH doesn't make you bigger, you would think a bomb went off in their heads. How did GH even get that reputation in the first place? They are all convinced one shot of GH and they will be competing in the Olympia, it's the only thing that holds them back.

Then there are the fat friends who stop eating thinking that is called dieting and what will make them look good. Then they get all confused as to why they have the stature of girls but with smaller tits, in some cases not much smaller....

IDK, But we were all once those naive kids asking questions, seeking short cuts. Weather in Military, gym, work, etc, I had some good mentors, and i thank goodness. Some dudes are bent shit cans, stay away. But if you can help someone avoid the traps, so be it. Ive learned alot from this board im iam thankful.

Yea but you/we listened that's the difference......

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to keep friends/relatives and kids from the gym from injuring themselves with crazy exercises and ideas, it never works. Got a cousin right now, tall fat fuck with man boobs could benefit from 6 months at the gym more than anyone I know he would look awesome with as tall and big as he naturally is. Tried to help but instead he decided to just stop eating, that would solve the problem.....6'4 300lb guy eating nothing but salads. Right now he looks like a cancer patient, lost whatever little muscle he did have, pale and skinny with extra protruding man boobs.....he thinks it looks good because the scale told him so.

Oh well, I tried!

Yea but you/we listened that's the difference......

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to keep friends/relatives and kids from the gym from injuring themselves with crazy exercises and ideas, it never works. Got a cousin right now, tall fat fuck with man boobs could benefit from 6 months at the gym more than anyone I know he would look awesome with as tall and big as he naturally is. Tried to help but instead he decided to just stop eating, that would solve the problem.....6'4 300lb guy eating nothing but salads. Right now he looks like a cancer patient, lost whatever little muscle he did have, pale and skinny with extra protruding man boobs.....he thinks it looks good because the scale told him so.

Oh well, I tried!
Brother, ive served in a Tier 1 unit for many years. Trained since im 14 years old. Doing stupid ass shit. Had to learn the fk hard ways. Same with Juice. There was no boards to educate us, not PCT.. Lol. This shit is a blessing! Im 50 still learning diet, training, TRT etc.. I have a 19 yr old son playing D1 college hockey.. wont listen lol Knows everything so i understand.

Brother, ive served in a Tier 1 unit for many years. Trained since im 14 years old. Doing stupid ass shit. Had to learn the fk hard ways. Same with Juice. There was no boards to educate us, not PCT.. Lol. This shit is a blessing! Im 50 still learning diet, training, TRT etc.. I have a 19 yr old son playing D1 college hockey.. wont listen lol Knows everything so i understand.

Trust me I get it! I wouldn’t wish having to deal with a teenager in this world on anyone right now! Everything is against you....

Stupid questions are the ones people ask with no intention of actually taking any advice or practicing anything new. I may sound arrogant as hell, and I am, but I've become jaded with being asked what they need to do for this or that, what they need to eat, etc. Nothing thrills me more than being able to genuinely help someone, but the number of people who intend on changing anything is pretty damn small. I actually got smart with a guy the other day but I think he realized what I meant. He's the type who comes to the gym to socialize, take up spaces on the benches while he is on the phone. He asked how to get his back wider and I told him that, for one thing, he needs to start working out. Like, lift weights. And shit.

Sick of wasting my time. I'll talk to someone until I'm out of breath, thinking they're going to make any change to their diet, next thing I know they've got a cheeseburger and fries. Then they'll keep on coming back for advice, swearing up and down they've done everything I've told them and 'nothing works'.

My best friend of over 47 years asked my dad when we were 12 or 13 “why do they call it tuna and does it really smell like fish”? He also wondered what it was like to “finger paint” a girl. Ah to be a teenager again.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131