YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Phil, emeric, Mountiandog, looking for an explaination.

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Humans evolved to seek out calorie dense foods. Hunting and gathering meant that a meal was not guaranteed, so when we consume fatty, calorie laden foods our brains reward us with the release of a pleasure hormone. Sugary foods do this as well. It is my understanding that seeing how our brains are the largest consumer of energy in our bodies it makes sence to have them set up to reward us when they get an abundance of fuel.

My question is, do our bodies differentiate healthy sources of energy from unhealthy ones and change the way in which we are chemically rewarded for this? And, Seeing as how this idea of feast or famine is not part of day to day life for so long, shouldnt evolution have changed this in some fashion? making the responce greater for more frequency than one sitting volume?

Second question being when manipulating diet for a desired result, like bodybuilding, do you know if there are such rewards in the brain for foods when their timed and manipulated to produce different results?

And, Seeing as how this idea of feast or famine is not part of day to day life for so long, shouldnt evolution have changed this in some fashion? making the responce greater for more frequency than one sitting volume?

The answer to this is the fact that it takes millions of years for evolution to take place. Another factor now is the fact that survival of the fittest is no longer a factor, and even the least fit on our planet still reproduce just as much as the others and sometimes even more so!

The answer to this is the fact that it takes millions of years for evolution to take place. Another factor now is the fact that survival of the fittest is no longer a factor, and even the least fit on our planet still reproduce just as much as the others and sometimes even more so!

In this instance i disagree. Evolution can be forced, to a degree.
The domestication of the russian silver fox. (40 year fast track evolution)

Natural evolution takes time but when we interfere it can be sped up quite drastically.

So how do you think we should eat..just curious what your thoughts are?

JM

actaully sometimes i feel rewared when i simply have some chik breast w lettuce and spices, no carb sauce, dam good, my brain say oh yes,

that fox study is pretty cool....however that has absolutely nothing to do with the evolution of humans you just described...unless you isolate a population of humans and only allow the ones to breed that have your desired traits.

that fox study is pretty cool....however that has absolutely nothing to do with the evolution of humans you just described...unless you isolate a population of humans and only allow the ones to breed that have your desired traits.

I agree totally. But I think that there are certain cultures of people who have been isolated for thousands of years. And these peoples' diets are very different. And they have adapted to these diets in certain ways.
For instance; Eskimos, whom have a diet very rich in fats and protein and probably low in carbs.

Where as the indians in central and south America region are used to foods rich in sugar.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the original question.
But its food for thought...haha

My question is, do our bodies differentiate healthy sources of energy from unhealthy ones and change the way in which we are chemically rewarded for this? And, Seeing as how this idea of feast or famine is not part of day to day life for so long, shouldnt evolution have changed this in some fashion? making the responce greater for more frequency than one sitting volume?

Second question being when manipulating diet for a desired result, like bodybuilding, do you know if there are such rewards in the brain for foods when their timed and manipulated to produce different results?

This is up my alley.

-What was healthy then might not be healthy now. I'm sure one of the things your alluding to is things that convert to glucose. For so long carbohydrates were healthy - because of the amount and sources we had available. Look into what actual type and number of fruits we had then and you will find it was actually very uncommon to be eating fruit even once a week. The rapid energy gained from digestion of these foods actually made our brain feel 'rewarded,' as you said, when we ate them because that rapid energy was so useful to us then.

"Seeing as how this idea of feast or famine is not part of day to day life for so long, shouldn't evolution have changed this in some fashion? "
Depending on what research you look at, but 1-2 percent of living the non-hunter/gatherer lifestyle is not a very long time to cause large amounts of micro evolution.

I apologize, I just noticed this thread wasn't addressed to me. Well here is my input, you can delete it if it's inappropriate.

I agree totally. But I think that there are certain cultures of people who have been isolated for thousands of years. And these peoples' diets are very different. And they have adapted to these diets in certain ways.
For instance; Eskimos, whom have a diet very rich in fats and protein and probably low in carbs.

Where as the indians in central and south America region are used to foods rich in sugar.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the original question.
But its food for thought...haha

This is interesting... Eskimo populations eat very high fat but also consume far more calories surviving in the harsh elements. I saw a nat geo show on this and many of these folks have healthy lipids/labs... Difference is, they are in no way sedentary...

This is interesting... Eskimo populations eat very high fat but also consume far more calories surviving in the harsh elements. I saw a nat geo show on this and many of these folks have healthy lipids/labs... Difference is, they are in no way sedentary...

Not to mention that their diets are very rich in omega 3s

So how do you think we should eat..just curious what your thoughts are?

JM

Well, I do think that eating smaller meals throughout the day is best but there is no need to make yourself eat on the clock like a lot of guy do. I subscribe now to Phil's approach even though I lived most of my life eating by the clock.

The old ways of eating a huge meal and gorging yourself, like say a neanderthal had to, arent health IMO but it served its purpose then.

THe thing about modern society though is that you dont have to live health in order to reproduce. More often than not, it may be the unhealthy lifestyles that are reproducing the fastest or at least just as fast as the healthy. How healthy you are has a much lower impact now on rate of reproduction I would say. With today's modern medicines, health care in general, and the way food is supplied the old influences on evolution are not allowed to take hold.

In this instance i disagree. Evolution can be forced, to a degree.
The domestication of the russian silver fox. (40 year fast track evolution)
Natural evolution takes time but when we interfere it can be sped up quite drastically.

Past breeding age, anything we do, that kills us after breeding is not going to affect the gene pool.

i.e. If eating shit killed people before reproductive age, they would be selected against. And healthy eaters, selected for. Aside from that, they will only be selected against if people stop breeding with them because they eat shit or look like they do.

Which is why I don't bang fat chicks. :D

Past breeding age, anything we do, that kills us after breeding is not going to affect the gene pool.

i.e. If eating shit killed people before reproductive age, they would be selected against. And healthy eaters, selected for. Aside from that, they will only be selected against if people stop breeding with them because they eat shit or look like they do.

Which is why I don't bang fat chicks. :D

Exactly. You said it a bit more direct than I did in my posts, but thats how I see it. One interesting thing ive noticed is that most overweight people will tend to select an overweight mate and that probably just compounds the weight problem in their offspring. Kids these days are getting bigger and bigger. Teaching high school, I can say for certain that kids these days are much bigger than they were back in the 80s when I was in high school. Not only heavier but taller in height too. That to me does seem like some fast evolution if you could call it that. That much change in just a little over 20 years.

Humans evolved to seek out calorie dense foods. Hunting and gathering meant that a meal was not guaranteed, so when we consume fatty, calorie laden foods our brains reward us with the release of a pleasure hormone. Sugary foods do this as well. It is my understanding that seeing how our brains are the largest consumer of energy in our bodies it makes sence to have them set up to reward us when they get an abundance of fuel.

I think that the lifestyle patterns has effect on brain neurotrasmitters, and not the quality of the food (helathy or non healthy) once you eat a food and you like the taste, your brain will store it in memory.

don't know if it qualifies as evolution or not but you should look up stats of NFL football players. their average height, weight and strength has gone up considerably since the first season.
-JS

No. However, evolution is still going on, and in one (of many) aspect-there are some genes that seem to help protect against type II diabetes by affecting the body's ability to digest starches that are cropping up. Another example, before 7-8,000 years ago (before the herding lifestyle), the lactose tolerant gene was practically non-existent.

Choose the time you're on a cutting diet and lift heavy, then eat some honey or cake. Tell me you don't get a "reward" (read:dopamine, endorphins) from your brain.

Evolution takes a long long time in most cases... keep in mind refrigeration was not even invented till about 97 years ago.... much longer then 97 years to counteract thousands of years of evolutions. Hope this helps put it in perspective.

That will confuse someone using those incorrect phrases, because in evolutionary theory, the geno- or phenotype with the greatest fitness will be the ones reproducing. Being "physically fit" or what have you has does not decide the evolutionary fitness of an allele.

I feel ya though man, who wants a world filled with people that have shitty genes passed on by those "physically unfit". Imagine a world filled with people of Wal-Mart.

That will confuse someone using those incorrect phrases, because in evolutionary theory, the geno- or phenotype with the greatest fitness will be the ones reproducing. Being "physically fit" or what have you has does not decide the evolutionary fitness of an allele.

I feel ya though man, who wants a world filled with people that have shitty genes passed on by those "physically unfit". Imagine a world filled with people of Wal-Mart.

We don't have to imagine it...just go to Wal-Mart and behold!

The genes that are selected "for" these days, belong in large percentage to the unfit. And not just physically. I mean, people of below average intelligence, unable to take care of themselves, financially unstable, non-producers. They just breed and breed. There is no limiting Gene there.

On the other hand, getting educated, financially stable, and experienced enough to raise kids well and responsibly takes time. These folks breed later and only as many offspring as they can care for. The "fit" are losing the gene battle.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear