advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Phil Heath's response to Arnold's comments and doing an Arnold Classic.

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I really liked this guy in the beginning....and I was around him personally 6 or 8 times...so I feel I can say that. (2006-2009) However, I just do not know how to take/view his comments. There is something about them that I do not like.

So the real problem is he makes too much money to need to do any other shows. I miss the days where the best athletes were pushing each other more than once a year. There is a lot of talk about what makes sense...but it also makes sense that you don't want to take any extra chances at losing...or losing momentum.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfCAgwec_QA"]Mr.Olympia PHIL HEATH's message to Arnold Schwarzenegger (judging) - YouTube[/ame]

hmmm I agree with everything he said though.

Good video and I do agree with working for less theory but in a sense Knight9 I also agree with you also with only competing once a year. Kinda brings up another subject. I see people getting pro cards and don't compete after for years. Should they still be considered "pro" if they don't do anything to keep the title?

Half the money is still 6 figures. Yes, I would do it for half the money lol

Love Phil Heath

There is certainly more than one way to look at it.... from a business perspective, for Phil Heath, he has a an opportunity cost of doing the Arnold. That opportunity cost is what he would be missing out on in working with his own company, his personal life and how it would affect his prep for the Olympia (and I am sure there are other things...)

Looking at it from a fan's perspective, of course we want to see the best competitors going toe to to toe pushing one another more than one time per year. And this may even elevate the "sport" to a degree as competitors would have to step up their game to compete with the reigning champ. HOWEVER, this all brings up the point of more contest prep cycles and more drug usage to stay on top of their game and push their bodies more than just one time per year. Rather than just one time, the same stress would be placed on their bodies twice (given they do the Arnold and Olympia)... so their are some factors that each competitor needs to weigh in deciding which shows to do and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, as each competitor is going to look at it from a different lens and do what they feel is the best for them financially, professionally and personally.

Why push his health more than he has to. To get a dry as he gets is risking death every time he competes. Precontest drug regiment for these guys is ridiculous.

Am I mistaken? I thought this was pretty common among the true Olympian contenders to focus only on the Olympia.

Why should he have to put his health at risk (dieting), and possibly negatively impact his progression towards the Olympia.

Sounds like he has his priorities in place.

There is certainly more than one way to look at it.... from a business perspective, for Phil Heath, he has a an opportunity cost of doing the Arnold. That opportunity cost is what he would be missing out on in working with his own company, his personal life and how it would affect his prep for the Olympia (and I am sure there are other things...)

Looking at it from a fan's perspective, of course we want to see the best competitors going toe to to toe pushing one another more than one time per year. And this may even elevate the "sport" to a degree as competitors would have to step up their game to compete with the reigning champ. HOWEVER, this all brings up the point of more contest prep cycles and more drug usage to stay on top of their game and push their bodies more than just one time per year. Rather than just one time, the same stress would be placed on their bodies twice (given they do the Arnold and Olympia)... so their are some factors that each competitor needs to weigh in deciding which shows to do and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, as each competitor is going to look at it from a different lens and do what they feel is the best for them financially, professionally and personally.

I agree with Knight that it was better when guys did multiple shows, but it was better for the fans, and everyone is out for themselves.

Flex i agree. Business is business and these guys gotta do whats best for them. He is not gonna risk a loss at the Olympia to do an Arnold, that would be bad business. Plus all the other ventures he has need attention.

Why push his health more than he has to. To get a dry as he gets is risking death every time he competes. Precontest drug regiment for these guys is ridiculous.

This is 100% correct also. Why kill yourself twice, when you could do it once, and still be the best in the world and a multi millionaire.

I mean you gotta do whats best for you and your family. These guys have already taken a huge gamble, its not like they have a stong union and guaranteed contracts like the MLB and NBA.

He is likely to be beat by Kai Greene that's why he won't do the arnold

I'd see it this way: pro career is extremely short in bodybuilding. Therefore, the more $$$ you can make in this time frame the better, and the more contests you enter/win, the more people will be likely to remember you and buy supps sporting your name when you're done competing.

As for health, well... those guys have taken a gamble since day 1, so as risky as the last few weeks of a prep might be for some, it probably won't change much in the grand scheme of things to compete twice a year... :cool:

man so many things i can say right now... but ive been taught to either speak good or keep silent. so much arrogance just oozing from him.

Perhaps the real issue is that the OTHER GUYS....are choosing to compete once a year. Wolf, Rhoden, Kai and maybe a few others the last several years.

Mr Olympia should reserve the right to do as he pleases....but the others shouldn't be allowed to take an entire year off...and if they are granted it...they shouldn't be allowed to do it consecutive years. Dorian and Ronnie competed once a year often....but you didn't have Shawn, Kevin, Flex, Cormier, Nasser etc sitting out. A lot of those guys racked up the shows and victories.

I still don't like the way Heath sounds about not being paid enough. The Arnold money is a fat chunk of change.

I thinkArnold is trying to coax Mr Olympia into doing his show because if he made it worth Phil's time to compete, as well as the other top competitors, then you basically have two equal shows...The Olympia and The Arnold...I think this is where Arnold is trying to push things in order to make his show as prestigious as the Olympia...and possibly more so!

I'd see it this way: pro career is extremely short in bodybuilding. Therefore, the more $$$ you can make in this time frame the better, and the more contests you enter/win, the more people will be likely to remember you and buy supps sporting your name when you're done competing.

As for health, well... those guys have taken a gamble since day 1, so as risky as the last few weeks of a prep might be for some, it probably won't change much in the grand scheme of things to compete twice a year... :cool:

I understand what you are saying but these guys are judged by O's, not Arnold's. When you see Ronnie's supplement line it says 8 time Mr Olympia, when you see Jay's it says 4 time Mr Olympia (and jay one a few arnolds)

I dont think anyone is gonna sit in the supplement store and skip over Phil's supplements because he won 6 O's (hypothetically, he isnt done yet) but he didnt win any other shows.

Perhaps the real issue is that the OTHER GUYS....are choosing to compete once a year. Wolf, Rhoden, Kai and maybe a few others the last several years.

Mr Olympia should reserve the right to do as he pleases....but the others shouldn't be allowed to take an entire year off...and if they are granted it...they shouldn't be allowed to do it consecutive years. Dorian and Ronnie competed once a year often....but you didn't have Shawn, Kevin, Flex, Cormier, Nasser etc sitting out. A lot of those guys racked up the shows and victories.

I still don't like the way Heath sounds about not being paid enough. The Arnold money is a fat chunk of change.

I agree, the other guys are skipping it so why would he take a chance. He is the champ, why jump into the Arnold and let another competitor skip it... and then he could end up getting beat at the Olympia. Once you get to the top spot you do what you gotta do to stay there, no matter what.

Am I mistaken? I thought this was pretty common among the true Olympian contenders to focus only on the Olympia.

Why should he have to put his health at risk (dieting), and possibly negatively impact his progression towards the Olympia.

Sounds like he has his priorities in place.

I think he has definitely earned the right and respect to just do the one big show each year,,the MR 0. He brings it every time too.

I thinkArnold is trying to coax Mr Olympia into doing his show because if he made it worth Phil's time to compete, as well as the other top competitors, then you basically have two equal shows...The Olympia and The Arnold...I think this is where Arnold is trying to push things in order to make his show as prestigious as the Olympia...and possibly more so!

All he has to do is throw some extra change into the prize money. Literally would cost him nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the share.

I totally agree with Phil on this one. His name is a brand. If you can win the Olympia and bring your brand ($$) to the forefront, then what is the point of competing for less money. There is more to it than prize money unless they make the prize money more lucrative.

Agreed about guys not competing often enough. Look at the lineup for the shows this year. They have been missing so many big names. Dexter is the smart one collecting the checks.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131